Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Curried Chickpea Stew

(1/3) > >>

Ben:
This is another Epoch Times recipe I want to try. While I'm generally a meat eater, I'm not opposed to vegetarian meals and would like to actually eat more non-meat meals, but I always have trouble finding something vegetarian that both tastes good and is also filling. This might fit the bill. I will make this next weekend and report back.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/a-stew-that-satisfies-no-meat-necessary_3697610.html

This double-batch recipe makes one meal for tonight and one to freeze for up to a month.

Curried Chickpea Stew
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes

Serves 8

1 10-ounce package prewashed spinach or other sturdy greens
3 tablespoons water, divided
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1/2 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon curry powder
3 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 medium head cauliflower, broken into bite-size florets (3 cups)
2 (15-ounce) cans low-sodium chickpeas, rinsed
2 (14-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
1/3 cup light coconut milk
Place spinach (or other greens) in a microwave-safe dish; add 1 tablespoon water and cover. Microwave on high, stirring occasionally, until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a colander to drain. When cool enough to handle, squeeze out any excess water. Coarsely chop and set aside.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet with high sides or a Dutch oven. Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add ginger, jalapeño, garlic, and curry powder; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add carrots and 2 tablespoons water; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots have softened, about 10 minutes (add more water if the mixture becomes dry). Add cauliflower; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until barely tender-crisp, 5 to 10 minutes more.

Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, half-and-half, and coconut milk. Bring to just below boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Stir in the reserved spinach (or greens) and heat through.

Transfer half of the mixture (about 5 cups) to a 1 1/2-quart freezer container; label and freeze for up to one month. Serve the remaining half at once, or refrigerate for up to three days.

To cook from frozen: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then microwave on high until heated through, 4 to 5 minutes. You can also reheat the stew in a saucepan until bubbling; add a little water, if needed, to prevent sticking.

Recipe nutrition per serving: 248 Calories, Total Fat: 6 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Carbohydrates: 38 g, Fiber: 10 g, Total Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 11 g, Sodium: 309 mg, Potassium: 587 mg, Iron: 3 mg, Folate: 144 mcg, Calcium: 137 mg, Vitamin A: 7766 IU, Vitamin C: 50 mg.

MillCreek:
^^^That looks good.  I would probably think about also tossing in at least a tablespoon of garam masala.

K Frame:
Yum. Need to try this one. I posted a recipe here a few weeks ago for a chickpea soup, but I think that was blended and smooth.

Ron:

--- Quote from: MillCreek on February 28, 2021, 09:25:45 AM ---^^^That looks good.  I would probably think about also tossing in at least a tablespoon of garam masala.

--- End quote ---

Is there a brand of garam masala that is considered the best?

I looked it up and it has a lot of spices I like.

MillCreek:
^^^My two favorite brands are Rani garam masala and McCormick. I buy Rani from Amazon since the McCormick is hard to find locally.

https://ranibrand.com/products/rani-garam-masala-parent-1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version