Author Topic: Bill Gates is a nuclear kind of guy  (Read 1304 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Bill Gates is a nuclear kind of guy
« on: March 01, 2021, 08:49:00 AM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/25/bill-gates-nuclear-power-will-absolutely-be-politically-acceptable.html

Interesting comments from Mr. Gates on the benefits of nuclear energy as we fight climate change.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Bill Gates is a nuclear kind of guy
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 09:19:10 AM »
Well... he's not wrong about it being a good idea.  If we accept that burning massive amounts of carbon containing substances from within the earth is a bad thing, nuclear energy is key.

I'm not convinced it will be politically palatable though.  There is a lot of entrenched interest in the status quo, and those interests will fight hard to keep the energy market as it is now.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 09:25:53 AM »
Even a blind pig will find an acorn once in a while.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 09:26:02 AM »

I'm not convinced it will be politically palatable though.  There is a lot of entrenched interest in the status quo, and those interests will fight hard to keep the energy market as it is now.

Even if it became politically viable (and I am a big fan of nuclear), what does it take right now - like 25 years to go through the regulatory process to bring a new plant on line? Even if politics shifted, it would probably be 20 years of political battles, court battles and lawsuits to kill the current regulations.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 09:54:23 AM »
^^^And we still need to come with a permanent waste repository.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 09:59:14 AM »
I've always been a supporter myself.

With evil Bill Gates being in favor of it also I may have to reconsider ......   [tinfoil] :laugh:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 10:05:21 AM »

Just need to get rid of Jimmy Carter's law that prohibits recycling of nuclear waste.  Dixie Lee Ray had the best idea about getting rid of nuclear waste.  encase it in lead, encase that in very thick glass, put that in a rocket and drive it a mile into the bottomlands of the deep ocean.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 10:07:53 AM »
I've always been a supporter myself.

With evil Bill Gates being in favor of it also I may have to reconsider ......   [tinfoil] :laugh:

He has now turned on the microchips in the vaccine to increase support!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 10:29:28 AM »
Of especial note regarding the need to increase nuclear power is more demand on the grid for electric vehicles and other uses.  I have been reading how some cities are now mandating that new commercial and residential construction after a certain date not use natural gas for heating.  Solar and wind turbines are great as a supplement, but absent some breakthrough in cheap battery storage, we will need other primary sources.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 11:32:18 AM »
Of especial note regarding the need to increase nuclear power is more demand on the grid for electric vehicles and other uses.  I have been reading how some cities are now mandating that new commercial and residential construction after a certain date not use natural gas for heating.  Solar and wind turbines are great as a supplement, but absent some breakthrough in cheap battery storage, we will need other primary sources.
The US has been one of the leaders in reducing carbon emissions.  We did it using this stuff called natural gas which is cleaner burning than coal.  Nuclear is nice, but it sure looks like it will take years just to untangle the bureaucratic mess before we can even try to build a new one.  Natural gas can help now.  Compressed natural gas can work as a vehicle fuel if needed also.

Natural gas isn't all that bad when used for residential construction.  It certainly would help reduce the electricity demand in those homes at least part of the year.  I guess fossil fuels are evil though. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 02:09:34 PM »

We send the rest of our trash to China for disposal, I'm not sure why this should be any different.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 02:17:19 PM »
Just need to get rid of Jimmy Carter's law that prohibits recycling of nuclear waste.  Dixie Lee Ray had the best idea about getting rid of nuclear waste.  encase it in lead, encase that in very thick glass, put that in a rocket and drive it a mile into the bottomlands of the deep ocean.
If you are going to put it in a rocket, why not go ahead and put it on the moon or launch it into the sun?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 02:48:10 PM »
If you are going to put it in a rocket, why not go ahead and put it on the moon or launch it into the sun?

It's just wasteful, and would be prohibitively expensive of course. (Sending things into the sun is actually harder than sending things into the outer solar system...)

Besides, once-used nuclear fuel is still like 95% potent, which is why reprocessing is so important.
I promise not to duck.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 03:42:10 PM »
Dixie Lee Ray was Governor of Washington,  a professor in Washington state with a PhD in biology, was quite in touch with marine biology.  She was in charge of the AEC for a time.  The reason she recommended the ocean is because of the extremely vast amounts of water in the oceans VS the rather small % of nuclear waste.  + the fact that the glass encasement would not degenerate for eons and if any nuclear waste were to escape, would have zilch of any effect after being disbursed by the vast amount of oceanic water...to say nothing it would be maybe a half mile or so in the mud at the bottom of the abyss.

She wrote a book that discusses this along with a number of other things debunking a number of Green Weenie myths.   Trashing the Planet 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 06:23:03 PM by grampster »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 03:56:05 PM »
It's just wasteful, and would be prohibitively expensive of course. (Sending things into the sun is actually harder than sending things into the outer solar system...)

Besides, once-used nuclear fuel is still like 95% potent, which is why reprocessing is so important.
There really isn't that much of it.  I can't remember how much money they were proposing to spend making the permanent storage location, but it didn't sound cheap. 

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2021, 05:31:35 PM »
Dixie Lee Rae was Governor of Washington,  a professor in Washington state with a PhD in biology, was quite in touch with marine biology.  She was in charge of the AEC for a time.  The reason she recommended the ocean is because of the extremely vast amounts of water in the oceans VS the rather small % of nuclear waste.  + the fact that the glass encasement would not degenerate for eons and if any nuclear waste were to escape, would have zilch of any effect after being disbursed by the vast amount of oceanic water...to say nothing it would be maybe a half mile or so in the mud at the bottom of the abyss.

She wrote a book that discusses this along with a number of other things debunking a number of Green Weenie myths.   Trashing the Planet

The solution to pollution is dilution.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 06:41:54 PM »
How do you know the pandemic is over?  Bill Gates switches to talking ad nauseum about climate change.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2021, 06:47:43 PM »
Does anyone else wonder if Bill Gates might have lost his mind?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2021, 07:49:28 PM »
 [popcorn]

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2021, 11:49:45 PM »
Reprocessing is one solution to the nukular “waste” “problem”.  Traveling wave reactors and other designs that can consume it is another.  The fact we aren’t totally energy independent (to the point of energy being effectively free) is a political issue, not a science or engineering problem.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2021, 07:28:30 AM »

(I've been saying that since about 2005 or so.)

Doesn't France just dump their encapsulated used fuel in the ocean?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2021, 03:01:47 PM »

(I've been saying that since about 2005 or so.)

Doesn't France just dump their encapsulated used fuel in the ocean?

Best place would be a subducting tectonic rift in an oceanic trench.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2021, 04:06:59 PM »
Best place would be a subducting tectonic rift in an oceanic trench.

David Brin used that hook in his uplift series of novels.

Samuel Adams