Author Topic: Provel cheese  (Read 1263 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Provel cheese
« on: March 01, 2021, 08:30:28 PM »
(look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about) is available at the Walmart in New Caney, TX.  That's about 5 miles from here.  I'm going to have to try it just to see how awful it is. =)  I suspect it's actually good for grilled cheese sandwiches.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Provel cheese
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 09:18:05 PM »
Never heard of it before, but I think I'd like it from the descriptions I've read.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 09:23:47 PM »
It is the defining ingredient for St. Louis style pizza.  Or so I've heard. :)
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 10:11:32 PM »
Mozzarella is better for pizza. Provel is, well, not what I would choose. It's better than blue cheese, though. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 09:27:50 AM »
It isn't real cheese; it is a cheese product.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 11:18:29 PM »
Isn't that just a different name for provolone cheese?
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 11:22:29 PM »

It's a processed cheese product (like American cheese) made from white cheddar, swiss, and provolone.  I tried to buy some today and couldn't find it.  Figured out when I got home it's sold in the deli case rather than in dairy.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 11:26:29 PM »

Nope. Provel is a processed cheese, combining cheddar, swiss, and provolone. It's apparently not much seen outside of the St. Louis, MO area, because some restaurants around here used it on their pizza. And I guess people in St. Louis back then thought pizza was supposed to taste that way...

https://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/food-and-cooking/provelology-the-study-of-a-made-up-cheese-with-a/article_d033b816-b856-5d5c-a8ca-a3c6592db4f0.html

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 06:38:34 PM »
I learned about it while on my moto ride around the country.  It's nasty stuff.  Doesn't taste too bad, but its texture is much like velveeta.  When it cools, it gets rubbery as you chew it.

I had it on a St Louis style cheesesteak sammich at a bar along the Mississippi River as it was in high flood.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 09:13:22 PM »
Nope. Provel is a processed cheese, combining cheddar, swiss, and provolone. It's apparently not much seen outside of the St. Louis, MO area, because some restaurants around here used it on their pizza. And I guess people in St. Louis back then thought pizza was supposed to taste that way...

https://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/food-and-cooking/provelology-the-study-of-a-made-up-cheese-with-a/article_d033b816-b856-5d5c-a8ca-a3c6592db4f0.html

Is it Imo's or Imo's?  ;)
The "square beyond compare". (I 'm near St. Louis.)
  =D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 09:33:54 PM »
Is it Imo's or Imo's?  ;)
The "square beyond compare". (I 'm near St. Louis.)
  =D

I don't know who started it, but obviously Imo's is the main supplier of provel pizza these days. It's not bad pizza, though. (If you order it with mozzarella, instead.)