Author Topic: It's Dr Seuss's turn  (Read 2169 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
It's Dr Seuss's turn
« on: March 02, 2021, 07:06:12 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend
Re: It's Dr Seuss's turn
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 07:59:21 AM »
New copies have already been scrubbed from Amazon.

Entertainingly to me, that USA Today article has a sample of 10 Seuss political cartoons with the "racial imagery or overtones" and it all seems to be for equality and early globalisim, the kind of things the leftists should support.

griz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 08:02:23 AM »
I'm to the point now where I just assume everything is racist unless a sufficiently woke person explains why it isn't.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 08:23:07 AM »
What's sad is that it isn't even someone like Amazon refusing to carry them (something I have been ranting about), but actually Dr Suess Enterprises stopping their publication. If they aren't even published, people don't have the opportunity to make up their own minds on the books. Dr Suess must be spinning regarding the entity that was created to preserve his legacy being the one who folded on the cancel culture.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 08:29:42 AM »
IIRC they started attacking Theodor Seuss Geisel aka Dr. Seuss back in the 90s over this stuff. Guess it flared back up again.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 08:52:17 AM »
The memory hole is voracious and is never satisfied ... feed me...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 09:19:37 AM »
I was unaware that today was his birthday and that he has historically been mentioned by Presidents as part of "Read Across America Day". Even Obama praised him. Looks like 46 shined him on:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-erases-dr-seuss-read-across-america-proclamation
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 09:21:12 AM »
I've only heard of the "If I Ran A Zoo" title.  I agree with Ben with it being sad that they aren't even publishing them to allow people to make up their own minds.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 09:42:17 AM »
If I remember right Suess was a big lefty. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 10:02:47 AM »
And prices on evilbay are through the roof

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 10:09:38 AM »

Anyone who fails the SJW purity test which requires that there must not be even the hint of a non PC idea in someone's head is Hitler/Trump/A Straight White Male
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 11:58:02 AM »
Maybe this is why he got canceled:

;)
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 07:32:30 PM »
Universal Orlando ‘evaluating’ its Dr. Seuss-themed area after book backlash
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/03/02/universal-orlando-evaluating-its-dr-seuss-themed-area-after-book-backlash/
- Calvin and Hobbes

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 09:26:47 PM »
First, a different web site for Universal Annual Pass Holders says they have no plans to eliminate Dr. Suess land.  Apparently they fielded a ton of calls and emails today in support of the land.

Second, this may (hopefully) signal the start of the end of this cancel crap.  People who haven't cared much about cancel culture, like my wife, are expressing significant anger about this one.  People love Dr. Suess books.   This one's not going away easily.  I see friends posting video of Jessie Jackson reading Green Eggs and Ham on SNL.  Pictures of Michelle Obama reading the books to kids.  I hope this fight drags out.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 10:16:29 PM »
I am confused, which seems to happen quite often these day, but how many Dr Seuess books have actual people in them? I  mean they have Grinches and Sneetches and Whos and such, even green eggs and hambut how many have people. This crap is out of control.

My 2 cents

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 10:25:56 PM »

Second, this may (hopefully) signal the start of the end of this cancel crap.  People who haven't cared much about cancel culture, like my wife, are expressing significant anger about this one.  People love Dr. Suess books.   This one's not going away easily.  I see friends posting video of Jessie Jackson reading Green Eggs and Ham on SNL.  Pictures of Michelle Obama reading the books to kids.  I hope this fight drags out.

Pictures of Obama doing the okay gesture and yet it's somehow now a white supremacist gesture. Apparently a raised fist is too if a white person does it now.
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 05:31:04 PM »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 06:02:38 PM »

Yes; so is his widow.  The central theme of Horton Hears a Who is "A person's a person, no matter how small."  It's a great line; or at least it was until pro-lifers embraced it.  The Geisels were pissed; I think they even sued some folks over it. 
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 06:07:07 PM »
The fact that Dr Suess was a raging lefty says more about this than any attack on a conservative ever could. I'm waiting for them to start banning books by John F Kennedy. After all, "Profiles in Courage" is pretty patriarchal, no?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2021, 09:22:03 PM »
Anyone who fails the SJW purity test which requires that there must not be even the hint of a non PC idea in someone's head is Hitler/Trump/A Straight White Male

https://archive.fo/YsRPz

Thoughts that have not been approved by the central committee are not allowed.

“In some cases, it seems like people are coming up with their own sort of customized belief systems—a little bit of this, a little bit of that—and they put it together maybe combined with some personal grievance or something that’s happened in their lives,” he said. “Trying to get your arms around that is a real challenge.”

The Constitutionalist in me wonders why the government feels a need to "get [its] arms around" what I'm thinking, and why it believes that if I think differently than a liberal Democrat I must be classified as a terrorist. Heaven forfend that an individual might presume to take input from multiple sources and synthesize it all into a uniquely personal belief.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2021, 03:56:59 PM »
I *almost* bought used copies on Amazon the day this came out, and now I really wish I had.  I suspect the value will go stupid high soon.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2021, 04:41:11 PM »
We have a five of the six banned books in my wife's collection from her childhood.  Well used copies, along with all of the other books.  I guess I could sell the set and buy a box or two of 9mm ball...   :rofl:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2021, 07:45:09 PM »
Too late to sell them.  They were going for a couple thousand apiece yesterday.  Now the selling web sites won't allow them to be sold because they are "inappropriate".
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2021, 08:08:54 PM »