Author Topic: It's Dr Seuss's turn  (Read 2197 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: It's Dr Seuss's turn
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2021, 09:34:16 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2021, 11:14:36 AM »
When they finally "cancel" MLK, by name, will people figure out what's going on here?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2021, 01:38:14 PM »
When they finally "cancel" MLK, by name, will people figure out what's going on here?

I hate to say it, but no they won't.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2021, 09:11:00 AM »
New York Public Library Will Not Pull ‘Canceled’ Dr. Seuss Titles, Says It ‘Does Not Censor Books’

https://www.dailywire.com/news/new-york-public-library-will-not-pull-canceled-dr-seuss-titles-says-it-does-not-censor-books

(unrelated: note the mask on the lion statue)

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2021, 10:43:15 AM »
... instead, will keep the books in circulation until the existing copies are worn out.
... will keep the controversial titles in circulation until they are no longer in suitable shape to lend out
... will continue to circulate until they are no longer in acceptable condition
That is an awfully interesting thing to keep repeating.

“The library will keep them in circulation until someone destroys these books.. It would be a real shame if someone trashed them because they can’t be replaced.. For instance, if you were to check out one of the few copies and drop it into a river or spill your coffee on it ....”

grampster

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2021, 12:37:24 PM »
That is an awfully interesting thing to keep repeating.

“The library will keep them in circulation until someone destroys these books.. It would be a real shame if someone trashed them because they can’t be replaced.. For instance, if you were to check out one of the few copies and drop it into a river or spill your coffee on it ....”

You gotta know some group of libprogs will do just exactly that.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2021, 07:47:51 PM »
In all the brouhaha over Dr. Seuss Enterprises’ decision to pull six of Theodor Geisel’s books because they’re “hurtful,” a lot of people have been pointing to other of his works. What about “The Sneetches”? The book in which the creatures with stars on their bellies and those without decide to overlook the difference and get along?

Okay, sounds harmless enough.

But according to Gabriel Smith of Teaching Tolerance

In light of this new information, you may wonder about Dr. Seuss books featuring non-human characters. At Teaching Tolerance, we’ve even featured anti-racist activities built around the Dr. Seuss book The Sneetches. But when we re-evaluated, we found that the story is actually not as “anti-racist” as we once thought. And it has some pretty intricate layers you and your students might consider, too.

The solution to the story’s conflict is that the Plain-Belly Sneetches and Star-Bellied Sneetches simply get confused as to who is oppressed. As a result, they accept one another. This message of “acceptance” does not acknowledge structural power imbalances. It doesn’t address the idea that historical narratives impact present-day power structures. And instead of encouraging young readers to recognize and take action against injustice, the story promotes a race-neutral approach.

My head hurts now

Teaching Tolerance says the Dr. Seuss book ‘The Sneetches’ is actually not as ‘anti-racist’ as we once thought
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/03/06/teaching-tolerance-says-the-dr-seuss-book-the-sneetches-is-actually-not-as-anti-racist-as-we-once-thought/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2021, 08:05:30 PM »
In all the brouhaha over Dr. Seuss Enterprises’ decision to pull six of Theodor Geisel’s books because they’re “hurtful,” a lot of people have been pointing to other of his works. What about “The Sneetches”? The book in which the creatures with stars on their bellies and those without decide to overlook the difference and get along?

"Getting along" is IMHO the path America was on a few years ago.  We weren't there yet (might never be) but we were getting close.  That is not acceptable because it cannot be exploited by race baiters and other various grievance leaders.  Racial tolerance and even a little harmony would mean the end of the gravy train.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2021, 08:28:33 AM »
Hint for prospective authors.  Make sure you can somehow be banned on PC grounds.

Like being banned in Boston.   Great for sales.

This whole thing is amazingly funny.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2021, 08:36:52 AM »
They are going after Speedy Gonzales and Pepe Le Pew now too. As a kid, I always thought Pepe Le Pew was there to be a bad example, but apparently the "experts" are saying he promotes rape culture.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2021, 08:45:45 AM »
They are going after Speedy Gonzales and Pepe Le Pew now too. As a kid, I always thought Pepe Le Pew was there to be a bad example, but apparently the "experts" are saying he promotes rape culture.

They tried to ban both in the 90s for the exact same reasons and did actually succeed to a large extend. This new crop of SJWs is just digging them up again.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2021, 08:47:25 AM »

They can't ban Speedy Gonzales without also going after Slowpoke Rodriguez! That's racist!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?