Author Topic: News flash: bicycle helmet laws are racist  (Read 1965 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: News flash: bicycle helmet laws are racist
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2021, 12:26:06 AM »
It is racist to refer to some people as colored.

Read the NAACP style guidelines.

He who controls the language controls the narrative.

"Colored people" was from my grandparents' day -- they were born in the late 1800s and died in the mid-1900s. Then "colored" people was suddenly wrong, but "people of color" was right.

What's the difference?

I just read (Friday evening) that "I treat everyone the same" is now racist. What happened to equality? Isn't treating everyone the same, regardless of the color of their skin, the epitome of equality? Why -- no, HOW -- is that suddenly racist?

We're not living in clown world. We're living in the world of Alice in Wonderland
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2021, 01:11:25 AM »
Equality is neither the vehicle nor the goal, anymore.

Equity is the new shill word.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2021, 08:12:11 AM »

I see what you did there  :laugh:

When mountainbiking on single track I always wear a helmet. I've taken a hard enough hit on my helmet during a crash that I ended up with a concussion. My brain slammed into my sinuses, starting some internal bleeding. Sort of freaked me out when 20 minutes later blood started pouring out of my nose! I suspect it could have been worse if I wasn't wearing a helmet, don't know for sure of course. The physics are such that there is no doubt the helmet absorbed and spread out the forces of the impact to a certain degree. And yes, while it didn't crack, the helmet got tossed after that and I purchased a new one. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2021, 05:18:52 PM »

I see what you did there.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2021, 11:51:25 PM »
What good are helmets of any kind if the body is destroyed?
Over a 10 year period, I was involved in three motorcycle accidents that COULD have been fatal.  The most serious injury was a broken leg.  The most dangerous was getting the handlebars ripped out of my hands on an interstate at rush hour (I was on the light traffic side and doing the speed limit) because of bad pavement.  When I dumped the bike, I tucked and rolled almost 200 feet down the highway.  I walked away with a bit of "pavement rash".  When I examined my helmet (an open chin style) later, there were no new scratches on it.  I took all the damage on my hips and shoulders.
An acquaintance of mine in high school rear-ended a car on his bike and was thrown forward onto the car's trunk.  Both mirrors on the handlebars were turned under from his body going over the handlebars and he broke both thighs and would have survived except for one thing.  Back then, caps for gas tanks were on top and stuck up as much as an inch.  When he slid forward, part of his anatomy was left on the gas cap and he bled to death in about 5 minutes.  He had virtually no upper body injuries but died because of the gas tank cap.
I repeat: What good are helmets of any kind if the body is destroyed?
  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2021, 12:42:31 AM »
In a motorcycle "club" I'm involved in we have a saying: ATGATT or All The Gear, All The Time
Helmet, leather/ballistic jacket and pants (Aerostitch?), quality MOTORCYCLE boots, and quality MOTORCYCLE gloves!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2021, 11:23:07 PM »
What good are helmets of any kind if the body is destroyed?
Over a 10 year period, I was involved in three motorcycle accidents that COULD have been fatal.  The most serious injury was a broken leg.  The most dangerous was getting the handlebars ripped out of my hands on an interstate at rush hour (I was on the light traffic side and doing the speed limit) because of bad pavement.  When I dumped the bike, I tucked and rolled almost 200 feet down the highway.  I walked away with a bit of "pavement rash".  When I examined my helmet (an open chin style) later, there were no new scratches on it.  I took all the damage on my hips and shoulders.
An acquaintance of mine in high school rear-ended a car on his bike and was thrown forward onto the car's trunk.  Both mirrors on the handlebars were turned under from his body going over the handlebars and he broke both thighs and would have survived except for one thing.  Back then, caps for gas tanks were on top and stuck up as much as an inch.  When he slid forward, part of his anatomy was left on the gas cap and he bled to death in about 5 minutes.  He had virtually no upper body injuries but died because of the gas tank cap.
I repeat: What good are helmets of any kind if the body is destroyed?
  :facepalm:
What good is the body if the head is destroyed?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2021, 11:35:02 PM »

Yes, you are likely dead either way.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2021, 08:22:27 AM »

Organ donor?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2021, 08:49:35 AM »
Organ donor?

On the Medic One unit, that was the reason we called motorcycles 'donorcycles'.  The unhelmeted riders would have their heads terminally damaged, but the rest of the body was in good enough shape to serve as a donor.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.