Author Topic: Kentucky is under water.....  (Read 795 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Kentucky is under water.....
« on: March 03, 2021, 01:21:58 PM »
With the snow, ice and now 5" plus of rain, a lot of Kentucky is flooded.  Videos posted on Youtube and news videos show many towns under water and the crest in Western Ky is expected to hit on Thursday with the northern border along the Ohio River  expected to crest on Saturday.  Damage is widespread and will undoubtedly be in the millions, if not higher.  I have yet to understand why people build in climate disaster zones like river bottoms, which they have to know will flood at some point, and then rebuild as though it will never happen again.  We are not near any rivers, creeks or lakes for that reason.  We are on a knoll with our pond well below the level of the house and more than one road available to get out of our area.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Kentucky is under water.....
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 01:53:54 PM »
Sorry to hear this.  I'm sure President "Ponysoldier" Biden is right on top of it .... or will be when he wakes up. >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 02:23:26 PM »
You can say that about just about any area of the country.  Why do people build in places where there are:

floods
wildfires
hurricanes
tornados
earthquakes
blizzards
tsunamis
volcanos
landslides
sinkholes

etc., etc.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 02:28:32 PM »
You can say that about just about any area of the country.  Why do people build in places where there are:

floods
wildfires
hurricanes
tornados
earthquakes
blizzards
tsunamis
volcanos
landslides
sinkholes
Democrats

etc., etc.

FIFY
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 02:30:28 PM »
Sorry to hear this.  I'm sure President "Ponysoldier" Biden is right on top of it .... or will be when he wakes up. >:D

Nah, Kentucky voted Trump, so in the new world order they're the enemy to the powers that now be so they can drown...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 03:07:16 PM »
Because the land is cheaper and memories are short.  Besides, if I can get some use out of now-unimproved land for an unknown amount of time, that's a decision component.

Heh.  And with regard to WLJ's tsunamis, I am told there were centuries-old warnings up on the hills in flood-struck Japan to not build below that point.

Then came 03/11/2011.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://www.worlddata.info/asia/japan/tsunamis.php

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 10:07:01 PM »

Hey,  he was a lifeguard.  Ask the kids that played with his leg hair or good ol Cornpop.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 09:29:32 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 04:27:52 PM »
There are villages in monsoon regions that build their houses on stilts.  Prague raised its city street level one story because of its river.

If you're building in a flood prone zone, make your own elevation.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 08:55:20 AM »
The part of all this I understand the least is when interviewed after the flood, it's always someone saying, "Buh I cain't move, Ah was borned hyar, dis whas muh Pappy's house.  Whar wuld ah go?"  One woman said, "It's not as bad as the flood of '57, that one was real bad.  I was here for that one too."  Good Lord folks, there are other places to live.