Author Topic: 5G Internet from T Mobile  (Read 644 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
5G Internet from T Mobile
« on: March 02, 2021, 07:09:06 PM »
My internet service here has been kind of spotty recently so I heard about this new fangled 5G internet service from T Mobile in my area. What I had before -T- was a wireless setup that used an antenna on my house pointed at a transmitter (microwave possibly/probably). That service was advertised at 50 down and 10 up  (up to), I seldom saw those speeds but it got close a few times.

I am not sure what -T- advertises but with a (weak) 2 bar signal on my all in one handy dandy receiver, modem, router from -T- I am getting 65 down and 12 up. So a little improvement. The cost is lower, I am getting the service for 55 dollars a month. The router is OK, I am getting a decent signal all over the house and into the back yard for the Traeger. I will play around with placement of the router and see if the signal improves and improves my speed.

So far, only a day, I am happy with it. Reprograming all of the smart stuff was a pain though.

bob

eta: In case you want to read  https://www.t-mobile.com/isp

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: 5G Internet from T Mobile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 07:25:25 PM »
Yeah, but it'll give ya covid.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 07:27:30 PM »
Yeah, but it'll give ya covid.

I'm really hoping I can get the shot and then give the little round box a hug and transfer some of that awesome G power to it and really boost my speeds!

bob

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 09:25:59 PM »
Reprograming all of the smart stuff was a pain though.

I feel your pain. I moved to a new router a couple of months ago.  Resetting the smart bulbs, switches, cameras etc. to the new router went fairly painlessly, except for one particular brand.  Feit.  I wound up returning 15 or so bulbs to Costco because they absolutely refused to work. Every other brand of bulb was a breeze to switch over.  I spent hours trying. My son and I called Feit tech support and spent at least an hour trying their solutions.  No luck.  Their support person actually told us he thinks it's because of Covid.  People are all at home and trying to set up their smart bulbs and overloading the Feit servers.  Uh-huh.  He offered to set us up for warranty exchanges, but I decided to take advantage of Costco's return policy instead.

I do like my smart bulbs, though.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 09:31:54 AM »
I feel your pain. I moved to a new router a couple of months ago.  Resetting the smart bulbs, switches, cameras etc. to the new router went fairly painlessly, except for one particular brand.  Feit.  I wound up returning 15 or so bulbs to Costco because they absolutely refused to work. Every other brand of bulb was a breeze to switch over.

I had the same issue recently when I upgraded my UVerse service (added an ASUS router). Some devices would show as connected on the 5 GHz band but wouldn't communicate at all. Reconnecting on the 2.4 Ghz band solved the problem. No idea what it was, but tests on a similar router in other locations got the same result. SWMBo's Kindle 7 was the worst offender.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 10:55:19 AM »
When I started with my new company (AT&T) last year I switched over to an AT&T 5G cell phone. The internet is noticeably faster than it was with my 4G Verizon phone.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 01:16:27 PM »
I had the same issue recently when I upgraded my UVerse service (added an ASUS router). Some devices would show as connected on the 5 GHz band but wouldn't communicate at all. Reconnecting on the 2.4 Ghz band solved the problem. No idea what it was, but tests on a similar router in other locations got the same result. SWMBo's Kindle 7 was the worst offender.

Brad

Most of my smart devices and wireless security cams connect on 2.4 only.  I believe that's because 2.4 will reach farther than 5 will, so my outside cams can be farther from the router and still connect.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 02:26:33 PM »
^^^Same here, and this applies even to newer devices.  I have wondered about the preference/requirement for 2.4 networks.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.