Author Topic: Two Stroke Engine Question  (Read 1779 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Two Stroke Engine Question
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2021, 10:23:45 AM »
I had to look up coyote willow, it's also known as sandbar willow. I've planted tons of those with 8" cut stems bud up either just sticking in the mud/sand or using a dibble. They love to spread and cutting/fire seems to make them angry and clone harder. Beaver love to eat them, I'm looking forward to your post in a few years about your beaver problem. Start buying #330 bodygrip traps and 7" jaw spread foot hold traps. :)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2021, 10:45:24 AM »
I had to look up coyote willow, it's also known as sandbar willow. I've planted tons of those with 8" cut stems bud up either just sticking in the mud/sand or using a dibble. They love to spread and cutting/fire seems to make them angry and clone harder. Beaver love to eat them, I'm looking forward to your post in a few years about your beaver problem. Start buying #330 bodygrip traps and 7" jaw spread foot hold traps. :)

Haha! I'll become a beaver trapper!  =)

I haven't seen any beaver around here yet. Lots of muskrats.

NRCS gave me a planting guideline for the coyote willow that required 3/4" stem, two year or older growth, and no less than half the pole in the ground, so given the water table depth, all my poles are 6-ish feet. NRCS is counting on them spreading like crazy along this streambank as soon as possible. The other stuff planted is more a long term thing so that everything isn't coyote willow. By the time the cottonwoods get big, I'll be long dead though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

2nd_to_one

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2021, 02:41:27 PM »
Huh. It is a pain in the tuchis to find non-ethanol gas in this area, and puregas.com is often out of date.  The local marinas and airports will not sell gas unless you are driving up in your boat or plane.

MillCreek,

Your handle notwithstanding  =D I don't know where you are in Snohomish Co. but we can get Ethanol free 87 octane at the River Rock station off I-5 exit 208.  Also if you are near the Arlington Airport, Arlington Flight Services has 91 Octane Ethanol free for airplanes (with commensurate pricing!) and they will (at least in the past) let you fill gas cans at their (card lock) pumps 24-7.

Steve

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2021, 09:06:10 PM »
50:1 is in part due to better materials and tolerances but also due to government and the engines being disposable. My dad thinks it is a sham and he was racing two strokes in the 60s. He liked about 8:1 for 100 mile kart races and not lean it out until late in the race. People were making more power at 16:1 but their motors died. I miss the smell of castor oil. Of course on those mixes he said they had one plug to start and warm the engine, another to go racing. Carry an extra plug not unheard of.

My Dad raced them as well but I think his were 4-cycle.  This was the early 60s in southern Illinois about 20 miles north of Marion.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”