Author Topic: Noticeable uptick in robocalls  (Read 649 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Noticeable uptick in robocalls
« on: March 04, 2021, 12:25:12 PM »
The last two weeks I've experienced a noticeable uptick in the number of spoofed-number robocalls. By noticeable I mean it's gone from four or five a day to four or five an hour. I presume it's because some scammer's robo-bot called my number and confirmed it as active, then spread word on the Scams-R-Us Network. Other than cluttering up my voicemail it's no big deal as I ignore calls from numbers not in my Contacts. Same with those which lack a campus prefix.

It does bring up one of my personal gripes ... people who expect return calls just because they rang. If it's important enough to merit a return call, it's important enough to merit a message. It's just common courtesy, not to mention reasonable expectation. At the very least, a quick text to let me know you need to hear from me. The only people who get calls automatically returned are my wife and parents. Unless you raised me or have to sleep with my grouchy ass every night, leave a message.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 12:53:04 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Noticeable uptick in robocalls
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 12:39:43 PM »
My wife thinks it's timed somehow to the release of state aid checks.  She noticed a sudden, one day to the next day, surge in scam calls.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 12:50:55 PM »
I had a 3 or 4 day period a few weeks ago where the robocall load was just insane.

Then it suddenly tapered off.

The past few days I've gotten a couple.

I'm sure it will cycle. But, I have no clue if it's tied into the arrival of aid checks. That's a schedule I've never paid any attention to.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 02:15:58 PM »
Here's an idea - if a particular lawyer needs more work, he should branch out into filing lawsuits against businesses and individuals who spam call people who are already on state/Federal "Do Not Call" lists.

I've heard "someone" found a way to monetize the receipt of unwanted robocalls and telemarketers, but I suspect it requires some legal assistance - it doesn't seem to be exactly a DIY type of thing to me.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 02:50:37 PM »
Problem isn't the legit callers, it's the offshore scammers that spoof return call numbers. Legit callers I can wave off by selecting the "Remove from List" option (usually buried somewhere at the end of the call, but it's there, and it works). The scammers aren't so considerate.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 09:57:51 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 05:35:36 PM »
When I finally ascend to god-emporer status, I'm going to put a bounty of those aholes and we'll hunt them for sport...
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 07:17:19 PM »
When I finally ascend to god-emporer status, I'm going to put a bounty of those aholes and we'll hunt them for sport...

Alternatively, if you would invent, produce, and market a device that sends a high voltage pulse back to the caller so their phone instantly melts, I would buy two of them from you.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.