Author Topic: Buy that 3D printer now.  (Read 1776 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Buy that 3D printer now.
« on: March 04, 2021, 10:43:47 PM »
Along with the multi-axis CNC machine.

So many states trying to ban printed guns.

https://augustafreepress.com/state-ags-fight-lawsuit-blocking-enforcement-of-laws-block-3d-printed-guns/
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
Re: Buy that 3D printer now.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 06:28:18 AM »
Can't stop the signal.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 08:01:55 AM »
Rather than buy the 3D printer now, probably search for and save some files. While they can't stop the signal, they can make it harder to get to.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 10:34:47 AM »
They're really not hard to get to.

And if you're not in the cutting edge of whatever group-based app is popular for 3D gun files at the moment since the gun groups got the boot from keybase, CTRL-Pew's stuff on LBRY is decentralized and blockchain based. And LBRY's top level domain is .tv to boot. The island of Tuvalu I believe.

https://lbry.tv/@CTRLPew:1

Can't stop the signal.

And ultimately, any attempt to restrict STL files for guns should fail in court on First Amendment grounds. Downloading, uploading, or possessing the file should be no more illegal than "Build a Luty" or various Paladin Press type of books.
I promise not to duck.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 10:43:27 AM »
Rather than buy the 3D printer now, probably search for and save some files. While they can't stop the signal, they can make it harder to get to.

I have some files saved, but I don't have a printer or machine shop.  Or skill.  I figure skill will be the hard part to acquire.  I can't seem to find a place to buy skill.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 10:50:21 AM »
I have some files saved, but I don't have a printer or machine shop.  Or skill.  I figure skill will be the hard part to acquire.  I can't seem to find a place to buy skill.

Well, a lot, maybe most of the practical designs are tailored to American law, and are just 3D printed receivers that work with existing parts kits that are unrestricted.

If you can build/assemble an AR on a bare receiver, you can build a 3D printed gun most likely.

And practicing on the 3D printer is a low bar to pass. You'll gain experience with every little trinket or doo-dad you print.

I haven't gotten to the point where I've tried to electrochemically etch barrel rifling yet, or cut a chamber on the drill press, I guess that's the next step.
I promise not to duck.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 07:19:32 PM »
My ECM machined barrel was not great. Functional,  but ugly.

On my list of stuff to do is build the heat treat oven to harden tool steel into rifling cutters. The oven parts are surprisingly cheap.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 03:39:47 AM »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 06:56:47 AM »
http://herohog.com/GunBuilds/

Thanks for that.

Are those plans for modern CNC machines or hand tools or both?   Are they up to date with technology?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 07:53:45 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 09:17:23 AM »
Thanks for that.

Are those plans for modern CNC machines or hand tools or both?   Are they up to date with technology?

I haven't looked through all of HH's links, but the ones I looked at, I didn't see toolpaths.

In a very simple, TL;DR, I'm typing on a tablet explination:

3D printing: you will generally download a particular file called an ".stl". This is a 3 dimensional mesh file. It basically makes the outside shell of your object with a bunch of triangles. You will import that into a slicer program on your computer, configure the slicer with your machine and materials specifics (temp, print speed, how many walls you want, infill, nozzle size, and a million other possibilities) and that program will spit out the gcode that you load into your printer and it actually goes brrrt.

CNC machining: is similar,  in that you will download a 3d object (in HH's links they appear to be Solidworks models) and load that model into another program. For machining you will need a Computer Aided Machining (CAM) package. You will tell that program the variables you are using. (Tool diameter, tool offset, spindle speed, movement speed, how much to cut per pass, and a bunch of other variables) and it will spit out the .gcode* that tells your mill where to move.  This is referred to as a "toolpath".

In general you won't see finished toolpaths in these downloads, because they are tailored to a specific machine set up and material you used, and gcode itself is extremely clunky to write and edit. So you get the objects with the design done, and do your own slicing or toolpath generation.

The Ghostgunner home CNC is the notable exception in that it ships with it's own toolpaths, but it is also very limited in what it can do. 

So you will download the 3D files for what you want, but it will require a little work and knowledge to get them on your machine and cut/built.

*it should be noted that gcode comes in several flavors,  and while both types of machines use gcode, the files are NOT interchangeable. Your gcode flavor depends on your motion controller's firmware.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 09:28:36 AM »
3d printers and CNC machines can be built from standard parts that would bring most industry to a screeching halt if they were banned, and so many people have copies of files there is no way to keep them offline.

Can't stop the signal.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 07:49:12 PM »
http://herohog.com/GunBuilds/

Thanks for the link. =)

I'll have to set aside a couple hours as download time.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 08:39:11 PM »
Thanks for that.

What dogmush said ^^^

I just scrounged everything I could and pointed to the rest. As I find more, I add them.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?