Author Topic: Canadian airsoft gun control  (Read 1301 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Canadian airsoft gun control
« on: March 05, 2021, 09:44:34 PM »
Note the word "possibility" in the below.

A recent redefinition to the Canadian Replica Firearms Bill C-21 carries the possibility that Airsoft Guns or air-powered pellet guns could become prohibited weapons. The notion that airsoft guns could become “prohibited weapons” under this new redefinition comes from a single specific paragraph contained within the bill.
Canadian Replica Firearms Bill Redefinition Could Threaten Airsoft Guns
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/03/04/canadian-replica-airsoft-guns/

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/cntrng-crm/frrms/c21-en.aspx

CCFR Message to the Airsoft Community
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P5I73L-K0U&t=3s
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Canadian airsoft gun control
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 11:30:14 PM »
 =|  Even the toys aren't safe when the nanny state is ascendant.  :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 07:27:18 AM »
Because of the way the law is worded here in Connecticut, you can't carry (open or concealed) an Airsoft gun.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 08:34:23 AM »
Some of them are darned realistic. I had an LPG-powered Colt Mark4 which if it weren't for the orange muzzle cap, you'd almost swear was real.

Same thing with a Walther PPK powered by CO2 which if you left off the screw-in cartridge piercing device on the bottom of the grip, was another realistic one.

We  have got to stop putting Nannies in positions of political power.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 02:16:14 PM »
Some of them are darned realistic. I had an LPG-powered Colt Mark4 which if it weren't for the orange muzzle cap, you'd almost swear was real . . .
Orange caps weren't required on toy (or BB) guns when I was a kid - had they been, I think every kid in my neighborhood would have either sawed off the cap or gone to work on it with a black magic marker.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 03:24:15 PM »
Some of them are darned realistic. I had an LPG-powered Colt Mark4 which if it weren't for the orange muzzle cap, you'd almost swear was real.

Same thing with a Walther PPK powered by CO2 which if you left off the screw-in cartridge piercing device on the bottom of the grip, was another realistic one.

We  have got to stop putting Nannies in positions of political power.

There exist (I have held them in my grimy little hands) Airsoft M16's which will accept a trigger group, and pin to a real upper.  The kurflufle with the ATF in the PNW several years back were one of the few times the revenuers were right and something was readily convertible.

That said, I am convinced most of the "toy gun" laws are less about public safety and more about making sure that young folks never feel comfortable with any weapon shaped object, so they are less likely to covet them later in life.  (a hypothesis Japanese gun culture would call into question anyway)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 03:44:56 PM »
Sidetrack:

I was reading that publicsafety.gc.ca link up there and I saw a part about "weapons prohibited on May1st 2020" and was curious and I clicked through and found that they prohibited a bunch of stuff by name, and any "Sniper Rifle", defined as a rifle that can use a cartridge with more than 10,000 Joules muzzle energy.  I had too look that up, since I suspected they wanted to just ban .50 BMG sniper rifles, because that's what Marky Mark used in that one movie, but I know there's a lot of hunting for big pointy toothed (or horned) animals in Canada.  Wiki provided me this partial list of cartridges which exceed 10,000J (~7,500ft-lbs):

.700 Nitro Express
.600 Nitro Express
.600 Overkill
.585 Nyati
.577 Tyrannosaur
.585 Hubel express
.475 A&M Magnum
.460 Weatherby Magnum
12.7×108mm
14.5×114mm
.50 BMG
2 bore
.950 JDJ (the world's largest rifle cartridge)
20×102mm Vulcan (One of the most powerful rifle rounds, used in anti-materiel rifles)

The astute among you will notice that, with a few military exceptions, that is a list of elephant gun cartridges, with huge, fat, stubby bullets not known for their BC's.

So Canada has banned "Sniper Rifles" but defined them such that you can happily get an C14 Timberwolf chambered in .338 Lapua, which is the rifle used by Snipers in the Canadian Military....

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 03:46:14 PM »
Red muzzle caps...

I don't know the timeline of cause and effect here, but there have been instances of kids with toy guns being shot by police:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=kid+with+pellet+gun+shot+by+police&t=h_&ia=web

The Walther I referred to did not have a cap, but the Mark IV did.   Also, I have a Crosman CO2 revolver that does not have one, so I don't know when that orange muzzle cap thing went into effect here in the US.

I'm of two minds on this one.  For the kids (even the adult kids) I kind of like the idea, but in general, I abhor the overprotection philosophy of Nannyism  and it irks me.  I know it sounds ironheaded, but... oh, hell, I'll say it: "Darwin will out."

Terry, 230RN

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 04:03:22 PM »
I am of the age that I remember circa mid 80's [edit google tells me 1987] the hulabalu over a cop in Cali shooting a kid with a Laser Tag gun that started this "Toy Gun must not look like real gun" craze.  I remember thinking even at the tender age of 8 that my laser tag gun looked nothing like a pistol, and the flashlight in it (first Gen "laser tag" did not use lasers) looked nothing like a muzzle flash, but in the 80's we still all believed cops when they said they were scared.

Article:  https://apnews.com/article/390dbc6529cbe7c664a20aa9e9c61eb7

Heh.  Looking back on that article now, after the last two and a half decades of paying attention to policing in the US, I am much less sympathetic to the "unnamed deputy".

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 06:48:16 PM »
The Gamo 430 CO2 pistol I bought new last year doesn't have an orange tip.

And it could be mistaken for a "real" pistol, even in the day time.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 07:13:20 PM »
Sidetrack:

I was reading that publicsafety.gc.ca link up there and I saw a part about "weapons prohibited on May1st 2020" and was curious and I clicked through and found that they prohibited a bunch of stuff by name, and any "Sniper Rifle", defined as a rifle that can use a cartridge with more than 10,000 Joules muzzle energy.  I had too look that up, since I suspected they wanted to just ban .50 BMG sniper rifles, because that's what Marky Mark used in that one movie, but I know there's a lot of hunting for big pointy toothed (or horned) animals in Canada.  Wiki provided me this partial list of cartridges which exceed 10,000J (~7,500ft-lbs):

The astute among you will notice that, with a few military exceptions, that is a list of elephant gun cartridges, with huge, fat, stubby bullets not known for their BC's.

So Canada has banned "Sniper Rifles" but defined them such that you can happily get an C14 Timberwolf chambered in .338 Lapua, which is the rifle used by Snipers in the Canadian Military....

They banned the 2 bore? What the hell am I supposed to shoot trap with if I go there?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 08:02:34 PM »
They banned the 2 bore? What the hell am I supposed to shoot trap with if I go there?

1 bore.  Duh.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 10:27:30 PM »

Quote from: Jim147 on Today at 05:13:20 PM

1 bore.  Duh.

Snorted snot on that one.  Very good.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 06:30:14 PM »
Stupid Commiefornia and its metric system! You can pry my foot pounds from my cold dead hands.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2021, 09:47:32 PM »
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2021, 09:54:20 PM »