Author Topic: Robots are coming for your white collar jobs  (Read 3161 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Robots are coming for your white collar jobs
« on: March 06, 2021, 10:37:01 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/06/business/the-robots-are-coming-for-phil-in-accounting.html

We are seeing this in healthcare in terms of computer-aided diagnosis and surgical robots, and in law with certain legal transactions and boilerplate legal documents.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Robots are coming for your white collar jobs
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 12:00:54 PM »
I recently attended a seminar where a woman presented information regarding the use of computers and artificial intelligence in the legal field.  She cited to a study that demonstrated a computer with the right software is legally correct more often than judges and magistrates when analyzing a scenario.  She also stated the computers are free from racial/gender/sexual bias that taints human judicial officers.  She predicted that in the next 10 years, most courts will consist of a judge and "information officers" who will gather the information and input that information to the computer.  A short time later, the determinations will be spit out.  She suggested that the tech is already available that would allow traffic offenses, many criminal matters, and some civil issues to be handled by computer,  and indicated several companies are developing kiosks courts could install which would handle many traffic and low level misdemeanor offenses right in the lobby.  She suggested that in her lifetime, the number of judges would be reduced by half, magistrates would no longer exist, and the legal profession would have at least 50% fewer lawyers.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 12:19:52 PM »
Get the software to automatically deny frivolous lawsuits and smack the filer in the head and the system will be perfect.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 02:06:34 PM »
My surgeon used the DaVinci robot to remove my cancerous prostate University of Michigan Hospital in July of 2005.  I was able to leave the hospital the morning after the surgery, but I decided to stay 1 extra day as the hospital has a hotel in the same building.  I was pretty much back to normal in a couple weeks, though I did milk it for 6 weeks as I was still working and had the sick time accumulated and was gonna retire the following March.  The robot is much more precise with the doc operating it, than the doc's hands.  I don't have any problems with urine leaking as many do.   

The old typical surgery usually required a 6 day hospital stay and a legitimate 6 weeks recovery.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 02:19:53 PM »
Get the software to automatically deny frivolous lawsuits and smack the filer in the head and the system will be perfect.

:rofl:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 02:54:41 PM »
. . . She also stated the computers are free from racial/gender/sexual bias that taints human judicial officers.  . . .
Uh oh - that's a problem. Bias - the woke kind - is an absolute requirement for legal equity.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 07:22:31 PM »
I recently attended a seminar where a woman presented information regarding the use of computers and artificial intelligence in the legal field.  She cited to a study that demonstrated a computer with the right software is legally correct more often than judges and magistrates when analyzing a scenario.  She also stated the computers are free from racial/gender/sexual bias that taints human judicial officers.  She predicted that in the next 10 years, most courts will consist of a judge and "information officers" who will gather the information and input that information to the computer. A short time later, the determinations will be spit out.  She suggested that the tech is already available that would allow traffic offenses, many criminal matters, and some civil issues to be handled by computer,  and indicated several companies are developing kiosks courts could install which would handle many traffic and low level misdemeanor offenses right in the lobby.  She suggested that in her lifetime, the number of judges would be reduced by half, magistrates would no longer exist, and the legal profession would have at least 50% fewer lawyers.

GIGO

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 08:33:51 PM »
And we're one step closer to having to learn how to use the three sea shells.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 08:52:23 PM »

Cheech & Chong's Animated Movie (2013)
00:46:49 "Bailiff, whack his pee-pee!"
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 10:00:54 PM »
Cheech & Chong's Animated Movie (2013)
00:46:49 "Bailiff, whack his pee-pee!"

:rofl:

I use that line all the time.  No one seems to know WTF I'm talking about. :rofl:

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 10:24:49 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 07:16:12 AM »
I recently attended a seminar where a woman presented information regarding the use of computers and artificial intelligence in the legal field.  She cited to a study that demonstrated a computer with the right software is legally correct more often than judges and magistrates when analyzing a scenario.  She also stated the computers are free from racial/gender/sexual bias that taints human judicial officers.  She predicted that in the next 10 years, most courts will consist of a judge and "information officers" who will gather the information and input that information to the computer.  A short time later, the determinations will be spit out.  She suggested that the tech is already available that would allow traffic offenses, many criminal matters, and some civil issues to be handled by computer,  and indicated several companies are developing kiosks courts could install which would handle many traffic and low level misdemeanor offenses right in the lobby.  She suggested that in her lifetime, the number of judges would be reduced by half, magistrates would no longer exist, and the legal profession would have at least 50% fewer lawyers.

And I'm sure she went home in her flying car where she was waited on hand and foot by her robot butler...

Was her name Landru, by any chance?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2021, 08:58:23 AM »

Glad to see I'm not the only one who had that come to mind.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 12:39:14 PM »
And I'm sure she went home in her flying car where she was waited on hand and foot by her robot butler...

Was she of The Body?  If not, her word cannot be trusted.
Will there be a Red Hour?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2021, 12:46:42 PM »
Will there be a Red Hour?

Oh, I certainly hope so . . . .            >:D
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2021, 08:52:12 PM »
Next thing you know, it will be time for the daily human hunt...

https://comb.io/TJ9B0W
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2021, 09:49:11 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2021, 09:15:54 AM »
Just yesterday, I was reading somewhere about AI vs. Human in aircraft dogfighting.  A.I. won.  A lot.  Article saw this as a good thing, because planes without pilots means less risk to human life.  All I could think of is what happens when the plane decides to hunt the people who sent it into the fight.  On another note, anyone know where I can get a good deal on a phased plasma rifle?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2021, 09:28:27 AM »
Uh oh - that's a problem. Bias - the woke kind - is an absolute requirement for legal equity.

GIGO.

That "problem" will be eliminated in their programing, the proper bias will be expressed.

Hope you guys like being ruled by leftist AI  =D
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2021, 09:39:06 AM »
The zman has a post somewhat apropos of the subject of justice.

In the West, the state tends to reserve its harshest punishments for those who break the law on purpose, with malice of forethought. The murderer that carefully stalked and killed a guy who insulted him at the bar gets a longer sentence than the guy who flew off the handle and killed a guy in a bar fight. The underlying assumption is that the former will kill again, because he chose to kill, while the latter is unlikely to kill, because he did so only under unique conditions.

This seems obvious at first blush, but there is a counter argument. The guy who flew off the handle and killed another man is not a rational person. He killed for no reason, while the other guy thought about his crime. Would you rather be in a room full of people who can fly off the handle at any time and kill you or in a room full of men who kill under specific conditions? In other words, committing a crime on purpose may not always be worse than committing a crime through negligence or impulse.

This is why so much of a criminal trial is about the motivations and the circumstances of the crime versus the plain facts. The verdict and the punishment are about public morality, not the facts of the crime. The guy who thought about his crime before committing it may have had good reasons to commit the crime. While we do not want people taking the law into their own hands, we can understand it in the cases where the crime comports with the moral code of society.

I'm skeptical AI will be capable of parsing the intricacies and subtilties of human behavior.

Most humans can't and humans are going to create a "being" that can? Hogwash.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2021, 09:39:46 AM »
Robotic Process Automation (RPA) is very much coming to business.

https://www.cio.com/article/3236451/what-is-rpa-robotic-process-automation-explained.html
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2021, 09:46:32 AM »
Bureaucratic evil imposed upon the masses without moral actors to hold responsible for their actions. Great

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2021, 09:50:57 AM »
Just yesterday, I was reading somewhere about AI vs. Human in aircraft dogfighting.  A.I. won.  A lot.  Article saw this as a good thing, because planes without pilots means less risk to human life.  All I could think of is what happens when the plane decides to hunt the people who sent it into the fight.  On another note, anyone know where I can get a good deal on a phased plasma rifle?

Unmanned aircraft can maneuver much more aggressively than manned aircraft.  I wonder it that was part of the issue.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2021, 11:03:41 AM »
Frank Herbert had, in the background for a couple of his novels, a Bureau of Sabotage.  Might be worth reviewing.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.