Author Topic: Dogs, cats, dead zoo animals and road kill  (Read 930 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Dogs, cats, dead zoo animals and road kill
« on: March 07, 2021, 09:03:47 AM »
Was shopping for soap on Amazon and happen to notice this review.

I love this soap being vegan, and not made from dogs, cats, dead zoo animals and road kill by products as is the traditional commercial soaps!
https://www.amazon.com/Kirks-Original-Castile-Fresh-Ounces/dp/B01MA6NDQP/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=kirks&qid=1615125120&sr=8-5&th=1

Say what? Is this PETA propaganda or is there something to it? Maybe in the days of old but nowadays?  China is a open question in the nowadays part of course.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Dogs, cats, dead zoo animals and road kill
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 09:31:55 AM »
Don't know, but when I was young, whenever Dad or his farmer neighbors would have a cow or pig die, someone would come by, hoist it into a truck, and take it away.  I imagine they were using it for something.  Exactly what, I have no idea.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 09:33:23 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2010/08/the-deadstock-dilemma-our-toxic-meat-waste/61191/

There was a rendering plant about two miles from my childhood home.  You could smell it when they were cooking.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 02:47:16 PM »
I guess you can make soap out of any fat or oil, no?  Isn't that the way the Palmolive company got started?  Making soap from palm and other vegetable oils?

I 'member in WWII that pushcart people would go around the neighborhoods  collecting fats and oils for making explosives for the military. I still remember the cry "Raaags n old ein!" ("iron") as our local junkman  trundled through the neighborhood with his horse-drawn cart.  He had rigged pots and pans to noisily bang together as the cart rumbled down the street on its ironbound tires to announce his coming.

He had a large drum into which he would scoop, scrape, and pour your household greases and fats.  He'd pay for the scrap metals by weight, but I don't think he paid for the grease.  Maybe it was just a patriotic contribution.  I imagine some of it was used to make brown soap, but a lot went to make glycerin.

He'd stop when one of the ladies called out to him and the women would come out to sell their metal scraps and old pots and my mother had a bucket of bent nails Pop had got from somewhere  and we kids would come out to see the horse and pet him and so forth.  A horse was a big deal for we city-born kids. Mom had to pick me up to pet him and I remember being really curious about the horse's blinders.  I forget the horse's name but it was something stupidly common, like Freddie or Bobbie or Georgie or whatever.

Oh, soap.  Yeah, OK, whatever. =D

Hey, hydrocarbons is hydrocarbons, no?

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 04:04:39 PM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 09:40:00 PM »
Late '90s we could still call up the "used cow dealer" (rendering plant) to collect large dead animals, cows, horses, pigs...
Sometime around the turn of the century it went away. I don't remember if it was a business issue or a regulatory issue that closed them down.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 09:47:03 PM »
And the hooves are used by the glue factory, of course.

(Don't ask where gelatin comes from.)

What isn't used for meat, soap, glue, or gelatin becomes SPAM.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 07:54:09 AM »
Just going by the thread title I thought this was about a new cooking show.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 10:17:59 AM »

You Too Can Wok
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 10:25:01 AM »
And the hooves are used by the glue factory, of course.

(Don't ask where gelatin comes from.)

What isn't used for meat, soap, glue, or gelatin becomes SPAM.
I saw something on Instragram that said SPAM was first made in 1937.  In 2020 they started working on a second batch. 
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 10:25:26 AM »
I've heard that as a rule of thumb if the fleas on roadkill are still alive the meat is probably still good . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 11:04:02 AM »
I absolutely will not, under any circumstances, leave one of my pets with a vet for disposal after they die. I always have them cremated and bring them home.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 02:36:59 PM »
I've heard that as a rule of thumb if the fleas on roadkill are still alive the meat is probably still good . . .

If I didn't kill it I ain't taking it home.

Got some bad skunk that way one time.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 03:09:48 PM »
Right out of High School, I worked for a rendering plant in Long Island City for exactly two and one tenth days.  I was in the chem lab doing Kjeldahl analyses for protein (nitrogen) content.

People would avoid me on the subway ride home.  But not  the flies.  The smell on my clothes was hard to get rid of.  The company moved to someplace in New Jersey  sometime later.

They say the sense of smell "extinguishes" quickly.    But not that smell.

I sure learned a lot I'd just as soon forget in that two and one tenth days.

It's probably lunchtime for some of you, so I won't go into details.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 04:32:14 PM »
Dan Simmon's book Summer of Night prominently features a rendering truck driven by one of the minions of the evil stalking the town...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 06:30:46 PM »
I love this soap being vegan, and not made from dogs, cats, dead zoo animals and road kill by products as is the traditional commercial soaps!

Somebody doesn't like recycling, sustainability, or proper grammar.

I thought it was the menu for the restaurants Biden will allow to open after he declares the end of the pandemic in 2032. (animatronic, President for Life Biden)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife