Main Forums > The Roundtable

Dogs, cats, dead zoo animals and road kill

(1/3) > >>

WLJ:
Was shopping for soap on Amazon and happen to notice this review.

--- Quote ---I love this soap being vegan, and not made from dogs, cats, dead zoo animals and road kill by products as is the traditional commercial soaps!
--- End quote ---
https://www.amazon.com/Kirks-Original-Castile-Fresh-Ounces/dp/B01MA6NDQP/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=kirks&qid=1615125120&sr=8-5&th=1

Say what? Is this PETA propaganda or is there something to it? Maybe in the days of old but nowadays?  China is a open question in the nowadays part of course.

lee n. field:
Don't know, but when I was young, whenever Dad or his farmer neighbors would have a cow or pig die, someone would come by, hoist it into a truck, and take it away.  I imagine they were using it for something.  Exactly what, I have no idea.

MillCreek:
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2010/08/the-deadstock-dilemma-our-toxic-meat-waste/61191/

There was a rendering plant about two miles from my childhood home.  You could smell it when they were cooking.

230RN:
I guess you can make soap out of any fat or oil, no?  Isn't that the way the Palmolive company got started?  Making soap from palm and other vegetable oils?

I 'member in WWII that pushcart people would go around the neighborhoods  collecting fats and oils for making explosives for the military. I still remember the cry "Raaags n old ein!" ("iron") as our local junkman  trundled through the neighborhood with his horse-drawn cart.  He had rigged pots and pans to noisily bang together as the cart rumbled down the street on its ironbound tires to announce his coming.

He had a large drum into which he would scoop, scrape, and pour your household greases and fats.  He'd pay for the scrap metals by weight, but I don't think he paid for the grease.  Maybe it was just a patriotic contribution.  I imagine some of it was used to make brown soap, but a lot went to make glycerin.

He'd stop when one of the ladies called out to him and the women would come out to sell their metal scraps and old pots and my mother had a bucket of bent nails Pop had got from somewhere  and we kids would come out to see the horse and pet him and so forth.  A horse was a big deal for we city-born kids. Mom had to pick me up to pet him and I remember being really curious about the horse's blinders.  I forget the horse's name but it was something stupidly common, like Freddie or Bobbie or Georgie or whatever.

Oh, soap.  Yeah, OK, whatever. =D

Hey, hydrocarbons is hydrocarbons, no?

Terry, 230RN

RoadKingLarry:
Late '90s we could still call up the "used cow dealer" (rendering plant) to collect large dead animals, cows, horses, pigs...
Sometime around the turn of the century it went away. I don't remember if it was a business issue or a regulatory issue that closed them down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version