Main Forums > The Roundtable

An insane amount of thought went into early toasters.

(1/1)

just Warren:
It obviously took a lot of bread to get these working right.

(19 min)

HankB:

--- Quote from: just Warren on March 07, 2021, 09:26:46 PM ---It obviously took a lot of bread to get these working right.

(19 min)

--- End quote ---
And half the toasters out of China* still do a lousy job of toasting bread.

*- and just try to find an ordinary consumer toaster made elsewhere!

lee n. field:

--- Quote from: just Warren on March 07, 2021, 09:26:46 PM ---It obviously took a lot of bread to get these working right.

(19 min)

--- End quote ---

That's the toaster my folks had when I was a kid.  I thought it was perfectly normal.

Fly320s:
I still like the gas-powered toaster I've seen at a restaurant.  It was a big device that could toast 8 pieces at once.  Looked a bit like a vertical rotisserie.

just Warren:

--- Quote from: Fly320s on March 08, 2021, 07:13:03 AM ---I still like the gas-powered toaster I've seen at a restaurant.  It was a big device that could toast 8 pieces at once.  Looked a bit like a vertical rotisserie.

--- End quote ---

I used to frequent a breakfast place in Culver City that had something like that.

They were so busy that they had to make their toast that way.

Back in the day when I worked for McD's we used a drop through toaster for the buns, it was fast but I don't know if it was faster than that conveyor-toaster from that restaurant.

The difference was through-put. The McD's device had a wider mouth and you could drop a lot more slices into it at once.

So maybe even if it was slower at toasting its total capacity was higher.

Took up more space though. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version