Author Topic: Fourth of July overprinted two dollar bill?  (Read 371 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Fourth of July overprinted two dollar bill?
« on: May 06, 2021, 01:27:36 AM »
https://4thofjulybill.com/

Company takes uncirculated $2 bills and overprints one side with all kinds of patriotic memes.  They then charge $14.95 for this.

I thought defacing paper money like this was illegal.

If it ain't, boy does that generate other ideas.... 

Home
Contact Us
Privacy Policy
Terms and Conditions
Order Safety

OFFER DETAILS: Purchase one 4th of July $2 Bill 150th Anniversary for $14.95 + $4.95 shipping, handling, and insurance, 2 for $29.90 + $7 shipping, handling, and insurance, 3 for $44.85 + $9.15 shipping, handling, and insurance, 4 for $59.80 + $11 shipping, handling, and insurance, and 5 for $74.75 + $12.25 shipping, handling, and insurance.

If for any reason you're not 100% delighted with anything you buy, simply send us your postage paid return within 60 days for a refund of your purchase price. Complete information on how to return merchandise is included in your shipment. For customer service inquiries, please go to https://ncmint.com/contact-us/. Once again, thank you for your order.

By clicking the Order Now button you are placing a live order and agreeing to the terms of our 60-Day Money-Back Guarantee and our Arbitration Terms.

WE APPRECIATE YOUR PATRONAGE.

Terry

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Fourth of July overprinted two dollar bill?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 01:33:56 AM »
I am guessing that they figure it takes it out of circulation. At which point, they printed a piece of paper and came out ahead.

See: USPS and stamp collectors.
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 01:34:39 AM »
I still have a stamp that says a-human-right.com - mostly used it with gun show change...
Blog under construction

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 03:02:15 AM »
Coins are ok to "deface" as long as it's not to commit fraud. From what I have read, paper money is not ok at all to change.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 10:05:53 AM »
According to the US Bureau of Engraving and Printing: (their website is moneyfactory.gov isn't that perfect.)

Defacement of Currency

Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Maybe this modification doesn't render the bills "unfit to be reissued" and so it's not illegal?
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 11:54:48 AM »
Yeah, that sounds right. I wonder, however, about putting one in a block of lucite. I suppose one could still spend it...
Blog under construction