Main Forums > The Roundtable

Building Materials

(1/7) > >>

Nick1911:
I went to purchase some 3/4 conduit - Electrical Metallic Tubing - today from Menards.  I was surprised to see that a single 10 foot piece was $7.70.  In my head I recalled purchasing them for more like $3-4ish.

Pondering if I was crazy or not, I punched up the wayback machine and pulled up menards site from 2015.  It's a little clunky to navigate since the search functions obviously don't work, but I was able to pull some prices.  These items were identical, and had identical SKU's in 2015.

3/4 EMT
2015: $4.06
2021: $7.70
89% price increase

2x4x92-5/8  Douglas Fir Stud
2015: $3.66
2021: $6.84
86% price increase

1/2in plywood
2015: $17.39
2021: $24.91
43% price increase

12/2 romex
2015: $55.91
2021: $88.55
58% price increase

Confirming that yes, building materials have gone nuts.  Officially, we would expect to see a 9.3% increase in price due only to inflation.

cordex:
And I picked this year to remodel a house.  =|

Good thing it is a small one.

Kingcreek:
I know someone who wanted a new 2+ car garage last year. They are capable of doing their own framing and construction. They took their material list to menards a year ago and got prices - $13k for everything above the concrete slab.
They got the building permit, prepped the ground, poured the slab, and went back in June and the same material was $26k, exactly double.
Pandemic, fires in lumber land, Midwest derecho storms, all working against you.

Hawkmoon:
I have a friend who is a small residential contractor. He and his brother have been planning to do a small subdivision. Just while they went through the zoning approval process (which took, IIRC, a bit less than six months) he said the costs of building materials has skyrocketed.

kgbsquirrel:
Welcome to inflicted scarcity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version