Author Topic: Building Materials  (Read 1787 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Building Materials
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2021, 02:37:11 PM »
Are you just putting down the tire path boards or just need to redeck the whole bridge?

I'm not sure what the hell I'm doing. This is the bridge that's an old semi flatbed trailer (the kind for hauling heavy equipment and whatnot). So it's the steel frame, with, I haven't measured, but like 2"x8"s or maybe 2"x10"s running lengthwise, which appears to be the original trailer construction. Then what the guy did was throw over what appears to be that fiberboard looking roof sheathing and then covered that with a couple of inches of road mix.

All the roof sheathing is severely deteriorating. The 2x's mostly seem to be in decent shape except where the cows punched a hole through in one section. I was looking at just replacing that section of 2x's, then getting rid of that entire layer of roof sheathing and replacing it with I don't know what yet.

The previous owner claims he took I think a D7 back and forth across it, and given the kind of trailer it is, that's probably true. Right now I only take my UTV across it, but I would like to be able to take my tractor across it safely as it would save me having to drive a couple of miles of county road to get to that side of the property with it.

I actually have the structural engineer coming out in a couple of hours to do the inspection report on that culvert road, so I might ask him to drive down and take a look at the little bridge if it doesn't cost too much. I'm already out $750 for the one inspection.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2021, 02:56:54 PM »
If it was me, I'd probably put in a Missouri crossing instead of fixing the bridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCNNq_E1P0A
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2021, 12:46:14 PM »
Pulling this thread back from the dead: With the start of air conditioning session in the Midwest, I've been putting together some bids.

I went back to a bid from 2018 to pull a part number, and happened to compare the A/C wholesale price difference.  The exact same 3 ton 17 seer unit is 44% more expensive today vs this time three years ago.   =|

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2021, 01:58:42 PM »
Yeah I just put a bid together and said crap. It was more for the equipment then that entire job with ductwork on the new little house north of me you came down and gave me a hand on.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2021, 04:58:29 PM »
Watching the price of lumber, wondering if I should sell my house for parts...

Read that on Twitter earlier today...lol

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2021, 11:09:06 PM »
I was sort of considering the mini-split thing in my 700 square foot house, but...

Frankly, window units work just fine, and are considerably cheaper overall. A $2,000 difference will buy a lot of inefficiency... I heat the place, for most of the winter, with two 110 volt "radiators." That costs about an extra $200-250ish over normal electric usage for the season. Granted, I do keep the temp at about 60 - I'm a "cold" person. When it gets below 15 or so, I plug in a radiant heater on a third circuit.

The gas company wanted $35/month for a connection fee before I used any. These things are also quiet.

The downside of the AC stuff is... I'm a cold person. I'm not really comfy above 72 or so... I'm semi-tempted to jackrig a drill, and see about some sort of heat pump, but with my luck, I'll be over one of the big tunnels or caves that run under South City.
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2021, 08:11:47 AM »
Bogie-

Check the local Facebook Marketplace or the like.  I was able to get a decent mini-split for my shop for like $200.  It seems like chinese mini-splits are the kind of thing someone always seems to have a connex of for sale cheap.  Fell off the boat or something.