Author Topic: OWB holster for Colt Commander  (Read 2560 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
OWB holster for Colt Commander
« on: March 09, 2021, 04:42:23 PM »
Looking for an OWB carry holster that is slim with good retention.

Leather would be nice but if the best option is kydex then I'm open to plastic.

All of my gun sport time was with plastic, I just thought a leather carry holster would be nice.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jim147

• friends
Re: OWB holster for Colt Commander
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 04:50:56 PM »
I have mine in a Don Hume First Agent. No extra retention. Very comfortable and easy use. I'll look and see if I can find something similar with retention.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 05:36:31 PM »
I have a Milt Sparks 55BN for my commander size S&W1911. It is the bomb. I have been moving to plastic for a lot of my guns, but the 1911 still gets mostly carried in this holster. Great retention, great draw.

I find it to be very slim OWB carry. OWB is my favorite carry method for both comfort and draw, and this holster carries almost like IWB from the concealment perspective. Milt Sparks has a really long lead time, but this one was worth it to me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 05:37:49 PM »
Looking for an OWB carry holster that is slim with good retention.

Leather would be nice but if the best option is kydex then I'm open to plastic.

All of my gun sport time was with plastic, I just thought a leather carry holster would be nice.

Leather holsters with retention are rare, except for thumb break holsters.   You may be able to get a leather-clad holster that has metal or kydex in it if you want the leather look and better retention.  Look to Bianchi for the first option and Safariland for the second option.

I'm curious why you want retention.  For open carry? For working around your property and you don't want the gun to fall out?  Just because?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 05:41:36 PM »
When I mentioned retention on the 55BN, I was referring to friction retention. It doesn't have a snap or anything.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 06:40:31 PM »
If I remember correctly,  Ben is a southpaw, so that might limit some options.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 06:52:03 PM »
If I remember correctly,  Ben is a southpaw, so that might limit some options.

Well, I got mine. It's Ron who's lookin'.   =)

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 08:04:34 PM »
My Kimber Pro Carry gets leather.  Desantis is my choice.  I carry cocked with safety off so I like the Thumb break Scabbard for it.

https://www.desantisholster.com/thumbbreak-scabbard-c-l/

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 08:30:30 PM »

I'm curious why you want retention.  For open carry? For working around your property and you don't want the gun to fall out?  Just because?

Both of those and also potentially on day hikes.

Good friction retention is fine, not looking for a thumb break.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 08:36:24 PM »
My Kimber Pro Carry gets leather.  Desantis is my choice.  I carry cocked with safety off so I like the Thumb break Scabbard for it.

https://www.desantisholster.com/thumbbreak-scabbard-c-l/

I would have to break years of muscle memory to switch to a thumbreak holster. That's a beautiful holster though.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 01:30:39 AM »
My preference has been Horseshoe Leather. Unfortunately, the owner of the company is ill and by now probably isn't taking new orders. There was a long lead time even when he was healthy.

Since that's not likely an option, my fall-back source is Don Hume Leather. I have two or three Don Hume holsters, as does a good friend of mine. We're both very happy with them. FWIW, you can buy Dun Hume holsters cheaper from Gunners' Alley than you can from Don Hume.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 07:11:24 AM »
If friction is fine I would go with a Don Hume any day.

The only problem I ever had was with my Springfield XD. The ambi mag release is not covered and the tractor seat ejected the mag once.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 07:27:51 AM »
A good leather holster can offer tons of friction retention. Mine is horsehide with elephant trim and was so tight it took weeks before I could draw gun without giving myself a wedgie.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 07:38:14 AM »
A good leather holster can offer tons of friction retention. Mine is horsehide with elephant trim and was so tight it took weeks before I could draw gun without giving myself a wedgie.

It might be the no sleep but that cracked me up.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2021, 07:58:31 AM »
Both of those and also potentially on day hikes.

Good friction retention is fine, not looking for a thumb break.

In that case, I second Ben's recommendation for Milt Sparks.  Great holsters.   

Other people mentioned Don Hume and Desantis.  Also good choices.  I think Wilson Combat still makes holsters, too.  I have a OWB Wilson that is good to go.

Yep.... https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Commander-_-Compact/products/722/
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2021, 08:26:15 AM »
I got a used Wilson Combat holster with a pistol.  The holster mouth was unreinforced and buckled slightly in such a manner that it could have caught the trigger when holstering.  I cut that holster up for scrap leather to prevent any risk of an accident.

Because of that I always choose holsters with reinforcement for the mouth and regularly check leather holsters for signs that they are breaking down.

And also carry with Kydex more often.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2021, 08:35:50 AM »
I have a Dan Wesson ECP.  I currently have a De Santis, but I am always looking for a better holster.  I will have to look them up.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2021, 10:36:30 AM »
I have a Fobus holster for any of the side arms I carry.  That is usually the first thing I do when and if I buy something new.  I even have Fobus for my revolvers.  The paddle style fits my hip nicely and the gun takes a strong pull at just the right angle to draw.  The newer ones are adjustable for cant and retention strength.  I highly recommend them to new gun owners.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2021, 10:37:56 AM »
Mine is from 5 shot leather by Larry Ralston. Very nice holster and spare mag holder.
Took forever to break in. Had to leave the gun in it for weeks. It's great now.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2021, 11:15:42 AM »
I picked up one of these for my Kimber Aegis Elite Pro.
Haven't carried it much yet but when I have I like the fit, and angle and retention hasn't been an issue.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/957137380?pid=668243
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2021, 10:38:07 PM »
I have a Fobus holster for any of the side arms I carry.  That is usually the first thing I do when and if I buy something new.  I even have Fobus for my revolvers.  The paddle style fits my hip nicely and the gun takes a strong pull at just the right angle to draw.  The newer ones are adjustable for cant and retention strength.  I highly recommend them to new gun owners.

This, for all these reasons.  And for $30 you can afford to not like it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2021, 08:54:56 AM »
I think I have had similar holsters to the Fobus.  Not sure if I ever had theirs.  At the least, it looks like a decent general purpose holster for the guns I don't conceal carry.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2021, 10:44:44 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still undecided.

A lot has to do with budget and how long I'm willing to wait.

I have a Wilson Combat Summer Special II and I just don't find it comfortable to wear around doing normal stuff. I'm hoping OTW is going to be more comfy with a "heavy" gun. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2021, 01:28:59 PM »
I'm hoping OTW is going to be more comfy with a "heavy" gun.

I can guarantee you that, as long as the holster has a design that cinches it up nice and tight to your waist. Belt slots seem to do that better than clips and whatnot. I have a couple of holster I don't use anymore because the way they attach to my belt makes them stick out too far.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2021, 02:26:19 PM »
Before I lost all my firearms in a tragic sailboat accident, I like to owb snub nosed revolvers and compact semi autos in leather pancake holsters. Not sure how that would work with a service sized handgun.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536