Author Topic: OWB holster for Colt Commander  (Read 2561 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: OWB holster for Colt Commander
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2021, 02:37:30 PM »
Before I lost all my firearms in a tragic sailboat accident, I like to owb snub nosed revolvers and compact semi autos in leather pancake holsters. Not sure how that would work with a service sized handgun.

I have to say that as much as I love my 55BN for 1911s, I also really like this style holster for absolute "thinness" under an untucked tshirt or whatever:

I have one from Crossbreed. The one negative for me is that the gun barrel on a full or commander size sticks out a ways, so it can bang around on stuff. Zero problems when just out and about, but I've tried wearing it doing farmwork and the exposed barrel always seems to be smacking on something. for that kind of stuff I prefer a full holster.

Even thinner than the above are the Yaqui slides.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2021, 11:21:15 PM »
I'm hoping OTW is going to be more comfy with a "heavy" gun.

I found that to be very true with the 1911, when I transitioned from I to O. Having the belt close around the waist meant it supported the holster much, much better. I use an El Paso tortilla.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2021, 07:59:57 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

castle key

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2021, 01:18:59 PM »
Having carried firearms as a police officer for more than three decades, I have pretty strong opinions.

A good holster is perhaps the most important safety item.

I like leather, OWB, thumb break, leather over trigger, and specific for the gun (not a leather bag).

A holster seems like a place to save a few dollars, but that's a bad choice.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2021, 02:22:44 PM »

I found that to be very true with the 1911, when I transitioned from I to O. Having the belt close around the waist meant it supported the holster much, much better. I use an El Paso tortilla.
That holster does look pretty good.  I don't typically use a thumb break carrying concealed, but it has the leather backing to keep it off my skin.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2021, 03:39:56 PM »

You're from California.  You don't eat that crap.  Are those even allowed to be sold in CA?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2021, 04:18:36 PM »
You're from California.  You don't eat that crap.  Are those even allowed to be sold in CA?

Ha ha - I don't think I ever even saw them in a store there. Even the chains sold the local ones from Santa Barbara.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2021, 04:15:06 PM »
Sooo, I'm perusing the net checking out the recommended holsters in this thread and I'm struck with a sudden realization while looking at the Galco.

I'm pretty sure I already own this holster.

I finally got around to digging around through all my stuff and low and behold I found the holster along with matching double mag pouch.

Some twenty years ago or so I bought this holster then not long afterward started playing gun games. I bought a kydex holster with no cant for combat shooting and never even used the Galco. It's for all practical purposes brand new.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2021, 10:53:09 PM »
Put some leather conditioner on it and give it a go.

It's like Christmas when you find something you forgot you had. I've been cleaning out my shop so I can make room to do a little wood working again and the stuff I've found buried on my workbenches amazes me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2021, 11:39:54 AM »
The holster is black and so is the gun belt I used to use.

Apparently the gun belt I used to use shrank over the years and I won't be able to use it any longer.

I don't really wear anything a black belt would be best with, I nearly always wear a brown belt.

Is it a fashion faux pas to wear a black holster with a brown belt?  :rofl:

Theoretically nobody will see, it will be concealed.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2021, 11:40:55 AM »
ooops

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2021, 11:43:02 AM »
Yes, wear black and brown together.  If anyones criticizes you, call them a racist and yell Brown Belts Matter!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2021, 11:45:15 AM »
Yes, wear black and brown together.  If anyones criticizes you, call them a racist and yell Brown Belts Matter!

It is the less expensive option.

All gun belts matter.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2021, 12:32:22 PM »
Apparently the gun belt I used to use shrank over the years and I won't be able to use it any longer.
Man, don't you hate it when belts just up and shrink?