Author Topic: And yet another European article screaming about...  (Read 2508 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: And yet another European article screaming about...
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2021, 10:18:19 AM »
Heat pumps aren't quite so prevalent in these parts (yet), mostly because natural gas is dirt cheap. In my old house my highest gas bill of memory was a couple of years ago when we had several weeks of sub-freezing temps. If I recall properly, it was about $130 total. Had I been on a heat pump it would have cost roughly $250 in electricity.

Heat pumps are amazingly efficient in terms of energy transfer, and are far are more efficient than straight resistive heating. Unfortunately they still end up about twice the operating cost of a gas-fired unit in our market. That tends to sway a lot of buyers, at least around here.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 02:08:17 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2021, 10:28:56 AM »
Nat gas is quite prevalent here, as well, but my community was built right in the middle of the natgas hook up moratorium in the 1970s. At least they installed a heat pump instead of a freaking electric furnace. Ex and I looked at a couple of houses that had straight electric furnaces with exterior AC units.

I've said a number of times if my house had come with natural gas I wouldn't have a pellet stove.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2021, 10:30:29 AM »
There are ways to adjust those heat pumps so you might be a little happier in the winter.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2021, 10:34:26 AM »
There are ways to adjust those heat pumps so you might be a little happier in the winter.

Don't be a tease.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2021, 10:47:10 AM »

I am perfectly happy with my heat pump's winter performance...

Now that I have the thermostat set at 60 degrees and heat with my pellet stove.

I'm pretty sure that the ONLY time the heat pump came on this entire winter was the 10 days when I was away for Christmas visiting friends.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2021, 01:26:06 PM »
Now that I have the thermostat set at 60 degrees

That seems to be key. My heat pump doesn't seem to work that hard to keep the house at 62 (my nighttime setting), but working it's way back to 69-70 in the morning just seems to strain it when it's near freezing outside.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2021, 03:27:41 PM »
They don't like anymore than a two degree change much.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2021, 04:12:15 PM »
When you're heating with a heat pump (instead of cooling), especially if it's one with the electric coils to provide supplemental heat, it's often best just to pick a set temperature and stay with that. Otherwise you turn the toaster on and your electric meter takes off from the side of the house like a helicopter.

Heat pumps do not do well recovering like that.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2021, 05:21:15 PM »
One trick I have learned is that if  I manually set the temp up like 10 deg or more, the thermostat will automatically kick over to the furnace. I've started doing that this winter when I get up in the morning and it's in that "funky" range of outside temps. Knock it up from 62 to 72 so the furnace kicks on, then when the house gets to around 68-69, set the temp back to that and let the heat pump take over.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2021, 06:43:54 PM »
When I have customers complaining about the cold heat pump air under 40 I change the switch over temp up if they have natural gas or propane and understand they are going to use more. If they have electric backup I tell them to add as much insulation as possible and be sitting down when they open the electric bill.

We have several house around here that are electric only heat. I can't do anything about the $600-700 bills in the winter. I didn't put it in.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2021, 06:50:15 PM »
When I have customers complaining about the cold heat pump air under 40 I change the switch over temp up if they have natural gas or propane and understand they are going to use more. If they have electric backup I tell them to add as much insulation as possible and be sitting down when they open the electric bill.

We have several house around here that are electric only heat. I can't do anything about the $600-700 bills in the winter. I didn't put it in.

I seem to remember Nick once posted some chart about efficient changeover temps taking into account temperature and electricity costs vs gas costs. I seem to recall my current switchover temp somewhat matched what the chart said, but next Winter I might knock the temp up to 30deg and see what I think. I'm not as concerned with costs as I am with comfort. :)

I definitely used more propane this Winter vs last. I'll have to check my met station software to be sure, but we were probably colder this year. December for sure was.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2021, 08:17:00 PM »
And then there is that annoying Gulfstream that brings mild temperatures to northern Europe.  I guess we could redirect that to Africa and let the euroweenies cook.

Without the GS taking equatorial warmth to northern Europe, their climate would be more like Siberia in winter.
Let 'em freeze.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2021, 04:58:58 AM »

Heat pumps are amazingly efficient in terms of energy transfer, and are far are more efficient than straight resistive heating. Unfortunately they still end up about twice the operating cost of a gas-fired unit in our market. That tends to sway a lot of buyers, at least around here.

Brad

Not only that, but I've never heard of a gas line being blown down in a storm.

Terry runs and hides
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2021, 08:13:42 AM »

Tell them to get a pellet stove.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2021, 08:16:48 AM »
Not only that, but I've never heard of a gas line being blown down in a storm.

Terry runs and hides

Some years ago (15, maybe?) we had a hurricane come up the east coast. The storm surge inundated a bunch of communities, including one in which a friend of mine lived at the time. Some how the storm surge managed to get into the gas mains. Gas service for something like 30,000 people was shut down for nearly a month while they cleaned, dried, and repaired the lines.