Author Topic: Mitch McConnell promises "scorched earth" if Dems remove filibuster  (Read 1491 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Cocaine Mitch is promising to go full scorched earth if Dems remove the filibuster, "Nobody serving in this chamber can even begin to imagine what a completely scorched earth senate would look like."  He says that if the Dem remove the filibuster he'll require a quorum for everything and past actions will seem like "child's play."

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/03/16/scorched-earth-mitch-mcconnell-tells-dems-just-how-hell-respond-if-they-get-rid-of-the-filibuster/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Mitch McConnell promises "scorched earth" if Dems remove filibuster
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 12:21:31 PM »
I think the Dems are smoking crack if they think they can force that through...

Manchin has already come out hard in opposition to it, and I believe there are a couple other Dems in smaller Red states who are leaning the same way.

The Democrat from a small Red state is an important consideration, because they know that this would be about as devastating to small state influence in the political arena as the elimination of the Electoral College or pulling DC in as a full state.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 12:47:29 PM »
I think the Dems are smoking crack if they think they can force that through...

Manchin has already come out hard in opposition to it, and I believe there are a couple other Dems in smaller Red states who are leaning the same way.

The Democrat from a small Red state is an important consideration, because they know that this would be about as devastating to small state influence in the political arena as the elimination of the Electoral College or pulling DC in as a full state.
Agreed on that last.  Plus, a few of them have to realize that if the R's ever get a majority back, they could ram through whatever they wanted just as easily. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 12:50:55 PM »
Agreed on that last.  Plus, a few of them have to realize that if the R's ever get a majority back, they could ram through whatever they wanted just as easily.

Absolutely, have they already forgotten Harry Reid's contribution to the political processes?

bob

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 02:37:23 PM »
Illinois’s own senator [tinfoil] Durban is calling for doing away with the filibuster after saying how necessary it was 2 years ago.
Hypocrite much?
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 02:50:05 PM »
Absolutely, have they already forgotten Harry Reid's contribution to the political processes?

bob

Yes they have. The modern dem (or more rightly, progressive) party simply lives in the now. They then get to become outraged when their own dirty tricks are used against them later.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 02:56:41 PM »
he'll require a quorum for everything and past actions will seem like "child's play."

If that's a realistic option then he should have been doing that already, regardless of what the democrats do.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 07:15:19 PM »
More kabuki theater and y'all are playing right along.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 07:34:41 PM »
Stop writing checks your ass can't cash Mitch.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 08:07:12 PM »
If that's a realistic option then he should have been doing that already, regardless of what the democrats do.

The way to reach across the aisle to the Democrats, and get anything worthwhile from it, is with brass knuckles.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 08:37:16 PM »
Yes they have. The modern dem (or more rightly, progressive) party simply lives in the now. They then get to become outraged when their own dirty tricks are used against them later.

Same goes for the R's too.

All the Patriot Act machinery that is now being aimed at conservative activists as if they were terrorists.  Was predicted by libertarians after 2001.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2021, 08:37:35 PM »
mother *expletive deleted*er likes to talk a big game when he doesn’t have to deliver.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2021, 09:42:05 PM »
Agree with Boomhauer.  The republicans like to talk a lot, but they have managed to conserve nothing.  They are useless; arguably worse than the democrats in that they do not deliver on the values they purport to stand for.

I have no time or use for anything the paper tiger Mitch McConnell has to say.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2021, 10:04:57 PM »
Agree with Boomhauer.  The republicans like to talk a lot, but they have managed to conserve nothing.  They are useless; arguably worse than the democrats in that they do not deliver on the values they purport to stand for.

Any time now, Lyndsay Graham will announce he is going to write a forceful letter.  He is the ultimate paper tiger.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2021, 10:10:23 PM »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
 :'(
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 12:23:39 AM »

I'd rather have a democrat battalion in front of me than a republican battalion behind me.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2021, 06:58:42 AM »

Yep, but apparently the Harry Reid lesson has been completely lost on them because "WE HAVE A MANDATE FROM THE AMERICAN PEOPLE TO DO WHATEVER WE WANT!"

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2021, 08:19:14 AM »
The uni-party is still running the show. Trump at best was a speedbump or maybe he was there to demoralize and discredit the true right? I'm still holding out hope that there is a faction among the rulers opposed to the chosen direction. Nonetheless, with Trump getting kicked to the curb they seem to have lost and the swamp has prevailed.

Mitch is unconvincing as a defender of anything other than the swamp.

Even all the judicial appointments he pushed through were vetted by an approved uni-party institution.

Our rulers are phony and morally debased. They speak nothing but lies. Even those that court us.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2021, 08:55:22 AM »
Yep, but apparently the Harry Reid lesson has been completely lost on them because "WE HAVE A MANDATE FROM THE AMERICAN PEOPLE TO DO WHATEVER WE WANT!"
Democrats have no memory further back than 2 years and Republicans have no courage. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2021, 08:58:40 AM »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
 :'(
That thought occurred to me.   =)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2021, 11:07:34 AM »
Democrats have no memory further back than 2 years and Republicans have no courage.

Republican office holders have PLENTY of courage- to fight for what they actually care about.

What they will not do is fight for all the things they lied to their constituents about caring about in order to get elected. They are there to PREVENT conservatives issues from being voted on.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2021, 02:31:31 PM »
Republican office holders have PLENTY of courage- to fight for what they actually care about.

What they will not do is fight for all the things they lied to their constituents about caring about in order to get elected. They are there to PREVENT conservatives issues from being voted on.
Finally the left & the right agree on something again: Mitch McConnell sucks :laugh:
A specter is haunting the Republican Party. And that specter, oddly enough, is a future world in which Republicans control government and pass bills that they campaigned on.
McConnell benefits from rules that allow him to enact all the changes he cares about — lax regulation of business, tax cuts, and confirming judges — either with just the presidency, or the presidency plus a majority. He fears allowing his caucus to actually enact laws carrying out most of their promises. That is why the bogeyman role of Hawley and Paul is so revealing. They represent McConnell’s fear of having to translate conservative demands into concrete legislation. He’d much rather use the passions of his base to get elected, and then use that power for ends McConnell cares about.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.