Author Topic: Mass shooting in Boulder  (Read 6577 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Mass shooting in Boulder
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2021, 02:43:40 PM »
Ilhan Omar
@IlhanMN
·
1h
The shooter's race or ethnicity seems front and center when they aren’t white.

Otherwise, it’s just a mentally ill young man having a bad day.

Narratives drive our responses to awful crimes committed against innocent people, pay attention to these responses and who is targeted.

Yeah, right
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2021, 03:37:07 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2021, 03:41:49 PM »
Just called my LGS about the MK116 Mod2 I was ogling, and it's gone. Apparently they are quite busy today.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2021, 04:00:15 PM »
Doesn't say what he used just that he bought an AR-15 although witness reports lean to him using an AR-15

Boulder Suspect Bought an AR-15 Rifle Six Days Before Supermarket Shooting
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/boulder-suspect-bought-an-ar-15-rifle-six-days-before-supermarket-shooting/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2021, 04:06:04 PM »
Doesn't say what he used just that he bought an AR-15 although witness reports lean to him using an AR-15

Boulder Suspect Bought an AR-15 Rifle Six Days Before Supermarket Shooting
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/boulder-suspect-bought-an-ar-15-rifle-six-days-before-supermarket-shooting/

From the link:

CNN is reporting that the shooter used “an AR-15-style pistol modified with an arm brace.”

If nothing else, braces will be back in ATF's sights. Interestingly, when my LGS told me the MK116 was gone, I had asked about any PWS lowers and uppers in the store. There were no rifle lowers left, but they had "lots" of pistol lowers.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2021, 04:07:56 PM »
EOs may be in the works, including imported ammo ban:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-considering-executive-action-gun-control-psaki

And when this has absolutely zero effect on the 99.9999% of shootings which occur 99.999% of the time in urban areas like Chicago then what? Yes I know the answer to that.
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2021, 04:09:44 PM »
And when this has absolutely zero effect on the 99.9999% of shootings which occur 99.999% of the time in urban areas like Chicago then what?

Nothing, aside from more gun-related things they decide to ban for the kiddies.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2021, 04:11:14 PM »
From the link:

If nothing else, braces will be back in ATF's sights. Interestingly, when my LGS told me the MK116 was gone, I had asked about any PWS lowers and uppers in the store. There were no rifle lowers left, but they had "lots" of pistol lowers.

Must of overlooked that part but maybe because I mentally blot out anything with CNN in it nowadays.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2021, 04:17:34 PM »
The fix is in.

I'm seeing headlines for stories I can't read (unless I disable my ad blocker) that seem to suggest rather strongly that the motive was Islamic terrorism. But Islamist terrorism isn't in the narrative du jour, only white supremecist terrorism.

So they're piling on with the "mentally ill" narrative, to cover up the obvious reality that this WAS Islamist terrorism.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 05:17:36 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2021, 05:18:39 PM »
The fix is in.

I'm seeing headlines for stories I can't read unless I disable my ad blocker that seem to suggest rather strongly that the motive was Islamic terrorism. But Islamist terrorism isn't in the narrative du jour, only white supremecist terrorism.

So they're piling on with the "mentally ill" narrative, to cover up the obvious reality that this WAS Islamist terrorism.

The purveyors of Islam want to take over the world as much as the left does. Any action that raises ire against guns is a necessary tool both will use to disarm the resistance they must overcome to reach their ends. This why I say, "Knowing the past I will not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2021, 06:28:51 PM »
I find it odd that we suddenly get 2 "white supremist"*/domestic terrorist mass shootings just as the democraps are pushing draconian gun control measures.
Not so long ago I was unwilling to accept the possibility that our political class possessed enough evil to be capable of mass murder to forward their agenda. These days not so much.

*Of course he'll be labeled as a "white" muslim in order to further the agenda.

One of my first thoughts upon hearing about this.  And I used to find it hard to believe that representatives of our .gov would sanction such methods in support of their goals, not so much anymore.

I would not doubt that there have been many covert and not so covert operations that have resulted in numerous deaths in support of different leftist goals.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2021, 06:32:23 PM »
Wind up toys for sure
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2021, 06:45:48 PM »
Lost in the narrative will be that the shooter [probably] passed a background check and bought the guns legally, so new "enhanced" background check laws could not have made any difference whatsoever. But ... we gotta have 'em because ... reasons.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2021, 08:17:36 PM »
Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa, 21, bought a Ruger AR-556 pistol on March 16, Boulder detective Sarah Cantu said in an arrest affidavit (pdf).

The location of the purchase wasn’t detailed.

Ruger introduced the semi-automatic firearm in 2014, describing it as a M4-style modern sporting rifle.

The romantic partner of Alissa’s oldest brother told officers that she had seen Alissa playing with a gun she thought looked like a “machine gun” about two days ago.

Alissa was discussing having a bullet stuck in the gun and was playing with the firearm, which made two others in the house, whose names were redacted, upset. They took the gun, the partner said.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/gun-in-boulder-supermarket-shooting-bought-6-days-earlier-documents_3746259.html

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2021, 09:22:41 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2021, 11:14:57 PM »

Kerry Picket
@KerryPicket
NYT: “The suspect’s identity was previously known to the F.B.I. because he was linked to another individual under investigation by the bureau, according to law enforcement officials.”
https://twitter.com/KerryPicket/status/1374472417712566291

- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2021, 12:21:54 AM »
The FBI has quite a track record with regard to mass shooters, don't they?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2021, 07:48:34 AM »
The FBI has quite a track record with regard to mass shooters, don't they?

Too slow to act?  Not enough reason to arrest?  The FBI casts their fishing net so far and wide that they catch many people, some of whom turn out to be whacko?

Maybe the FBI keeps tabs on many people that aren't actually suspected of anything and then when those people do something bad we learn that the perpetrator was "known to the FBI."

My point is that "known to the FBI" doesn't mean anything.  Was the perp under investigation by the FBI?  Or local law enforcement?  I am 100% opposed to denying firearms to a person just based on the fact he was "known to the FBI."
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2021, 08:00:05 AM »
Adage, Old, Pertinent:  "The way to a long and happy life is to eat well, marry well, and don't let your name get too well known to the authorities."

I don't know how general this was with Kroger (City Market, King Soopers, etc), but about 6-7 (?) years ago they dispensed with armed guards... at least in the K.S. at 38th and Sheridan in Wheat RIdge.  One of the now-unarmed guards commented that they hoped they didn't regret that decision, and that it came from "corporate." (He was a qualified Firearms Instructor, and moved to another merchant armed guard post.)

I joked that if he needed a gun, to holler for me and I could slide my BUG across the floor to him.

Anyhow, that's the background to my question, which is "does Kroger (or any company) have any liability as to what happened because they did away with the armed guards?"

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 08:18:38 AM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2021, 09:16:56 AM »
I have never seen a grocery store with armed guards.  Maybe I just didn't notice them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2021, 09:18:04 AM »
Too slow to act?  Not enough reason to arrest?  The FBI casts their fishing net so far and wide that they catch many people, some of whom turn out to be whacko?

Maybe the FBI keeps tabs on many people that aren't actually suspected of anything and then when those people do something bad we learn that the perpetrator was "known to the FBI."

My point is that "known to the FBI" doesn't mean anything.  Was the perp under investigation by the FBI?  Or local law enforcement?  I am 100% opposed to denying firearms to a person just based on the fact he was "known to the FBI."
I would be curious how many people fall into that category.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2021, 09:22:59 AM »
7 out of 9 of the voices in my head say this won't work

Eddie Zipperer
@EddieZipperer
CAMEROTA: "How onerous would it be to have a gun shop owner just say, 'by the way, are you hearing voices? Do you think people are chasing you? Do you think everybody is watching you?' It would have weeded out- possibly- this guy."

CNN’s Alisyn Camerota has an idea on how to stop mentally ill killers from buying a gun
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/03/24/cnns-alisyn-camerota-has-an-idea-on-how-to-stop-mentally-ill-killers-from-buying-a-gun/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2021, 10:56:40 AM »
I have never seen a grocery store with armed guards.  Maybe I just didn't notice them.

Vallarta's in California...
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2021, 11:08:52 AM »
I've never seen gravity or x-rays.  Honestly, MechAg94...

I take a kind of Darwinian view of an "armed population," per Heinlein.

A minority, I know.

But if everybody  (or at least everybody who wanted) had a gun for self-defense, all these putrid attempts at approximating thought-police methods would be unneccesary.  Some innocents might be killed, but in the long run, probably less than at present, and the inherent evildoers would be weeded out.

And we wouldn't be stuck in the legal contradiction of declaring people "guilty" before they did anything wrong.   This has been going on for long before 1934.

Everybody who wanted? Terry, are you nuts?

Well, I notice that just about every mobile critter on earth has some means of self-defense. Right?

Even Kittens carry concealed...

Terry, 230RN

Pic credit in properties.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2021, 11:11:41 AM »
I would be curious how many people fall into that category.

I figure that if I'm not on at least half a dozen "government lists" I ain't livin' right.
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams