Author Topic: Mass shooting in Boulder  (Read 6569 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Mass shooting in Boulder
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2021, 12:10:45 PM »
I have never seen a grocery store with armed guards.  Maybe I just didn't notice them.

They are a thing in the Denver area. (I lived in Aurora for eight years.)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2021, 01:01:23 PM »
I've never seen gravity or x-rays.  Honestly, MechAg94...

I take a kind of Darwinian view of an "armed population," per Heinlein.

A minority, I know.

But if everybody  (or at least everybody who wanted) had a gun for self-defense, all these putrid attempts at approximating thought-police methods would be unneccesary.  Some innocents might be killed, but in the long run, probably less than at present, and the inherent evildoers would be weeded out.

And we wouldn't be stuck in the legal contradiction of declaring people "guilty" before they did anything wrong.   This has been going on for long before 1934.

Everybody who wanted? Terry, are you nuts?

Well, I notice that just about every mobile critter on earth has some means of self-defense. Right?

Even Kittens carry concealed...

Terry, 230RN

Pic credit in properties.
I am not disbelieving that grocery stores have armed guards, I just never noticed them down here for that type of store.  I'll have to look around a bit more carefully next time I visit the big HEB store I go to.

There are armed people in the grocery store.  I know there is at least one since I am there. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2021, 01:03:00 PM »
I figure that if I'm not on at least half a dozen "government lists" I ain't livin' right.
 =D
:laugh:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2021, 01:11:02 PM »
7 out of 9 of the voices in my head say this won't work

CNN’s Alisyn Camerota has an idea on how to stop mentally ill killers from buying a gun
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/03/24/cnns-alisyn-camerota-has-an-idea-on-how-to-stop-mentally-ill-killers-from-buying-a-gun/
I agree with this but not in that way.  The BATFE needs to add those questions to the 4473 form.  They will be just as effective there as if the dealer asks them directly. 

Are you the actual transferee/buyer?  Yes/No
Are you currently hearing voices from someone not currently nearby?  Yes/No
Do you think you are currently under survalence?  Yes/No
Are you being followed?  Yes/No 

I am not sure how to phrase the second question when other people are in the room. 
Yes, the gun shop has me on camera.   =|
Last, Yes, the grocery store security guard is following me around.   =)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2021, 05:58:50 PM »
^
And once again, the intent of those questions is to establish guilt and impose punishment before any actual wrongdoing occurs.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2021, 11:24:05 PM »
I agree with this but not in that way.  The BATFE needs to add those questions to the 4473 form.  They will be just as effective there as if the dealer asks them directly. 

Are you the actual transferee/buyer?  Yes/No
Are you currently hearing voices from someone not currently nearby?  Yes/No
Do you think you are currently under survalence?  Yes/No
Are you being followed?  Yes/No 

I am not sure how to phrase the second question when other people are in the room. 
Yes, the gun shop has me on camera.   =|
Last, Yes, the grocery store security guard is following me around.   =)

Some people are buying guns because they actually are being followed (eg. nutty ex-boyfriend), and we're all under surveillance these days. (Don't tell Alisyn I said that.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2021, 06:55:23 AM »
How about these questions?

1. Are you planning to kill anyone?
2. Are you a whacko?
3. Have you ever voted in favor of gun control or voted for a politician who favors gun control?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2021, 09:47:34 AM »
Funny how a lot of talk about the shooter has completely vaporized from the news cycle since it turns out that he wasn't a Whitey McWhiterson neck beard...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2021, 09:59:30 AM »
Funny how a lot of talk about the shooter has completely vaporized from the news cycle since it turns out that he wasn't a Whitey McWhiterson neck beard...

He had mental issues. We're supposed to feel sorry for him.

I guess I'm a bad person, because ... I don't.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2021, 10:47:24 AM »

You remind me of --- of --- well, --- Me!

There is something good to say about hard asses. We don't fall for bleeding heart tactics designed to hide and/or deflect from the truth.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2021, 10:53:53 AM »

He had mental issues from being oppressed by you know who so you should feel sorry for him or you're a racist bigot
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2021, 12:33:27 PM »
Slain officer's father:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/eric-talley-boulder-colorado-police-officer-gun-rights-advocate

While acknowledging the need for common-sense gun laws, Talley said that "to take away that freedom completely is something I am against and my son was against."
Something tells me the reporter was pressing emotional arguments about "some laws being needed".  Since they didn't quote him, I wonder if he really did acknowledge that. 

That said, he had some good quotes.
"My son would have been deeply offended to know his death would be used to promote gun control. Before he was an officer, he enjoyed shooting," Homer Talley told TMZ about the 11-year veteran, who was among 10 people slaughtered at a King Soopers supermarket on Monday.

He added: "Just because some wacko goes around shooting people doesn’t mean guns need to be taken away. You can’t take away enough guns to protect this country."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2021, 12:38:24 PM »
Something tells me the reporter was pressing emotional arguments about "some laws being needed".  Since they didn't quote him, I wonder if he really did acknowledge that. 

I was thinking the same thing. They were probably hounding him with "wouldn't you agree though" crap. He might have said something like "They should enforce the laws they have" and that could easily be turned into the "common sense" mantra.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2021, 03:01:47 PM »
"Common sense" gun laws would probably be very different with the APS membership than with the DNC crown . . . just as my opinion of what kind of comprehensive immigration reform we need is profoundly different from that of the lefties we see spouting off about the issue on TV all the time.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• friend
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2021, 06:27:10 PM »
Seems to me "common sense" gun control should be defined by a "common sense" reading of the Second Amendment.

Terry, 230RN

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2021, 07:25:08 PM »
Seems to me "common sense" gun control should be defined by a "common sense" reading of the Second Amendment.

Terry, 230RN

No one in D. C.  has common sense since it was reclassified as a super-power.  [popcorn] >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• friend
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2021, 09:55:42 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. They were probably hounding him with "wouldn't you agree though" crap. He might have said something like "They should enforce the laws they have" and that could easily be turned into the "common sense" mantra.

Sounds very likely to me.

After Boulder-King Soopers, I'm starting a pro/con in my head about open carry.  I suppose it makes you a target, but I also suppose it makes you a deterrent.  Authorities warn that some local governments may have their own laws about open carry (e.g., Denver) and if there's a "scene" from a Libwimp about it, there's always a possible "disturbing the peace" charge to be laid on you just to get the Libwimp to shut up. Et cetera.

" 'Tis a puzzlement." (Yul Brynner in "The King and I.")

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2021, 10:17:34 AM »
I prefer to carry concealed.  My immediate reaction to a bad situation like Boulder would be to get myself and loved ones out of there by any means possible. 

Draw and engage would be last resort if we are unable to evacuate safely.  Another reason why I carry spare magazines is if I need more than a handful of rounds to aid in our egress.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2021, 01:38:12 PM »
Well the decision to engage should not be taken lightly.  Wife, 2.7 kids, 1.25 dogs, 7.4 cats, nope.  Beat feet, remembering that besides the emergency exits you should know about, take note that the back end of most stores have exits to the street or loading docks. So conceal or cover the best you can otherwise.

However, I'm 82, offsprings are gainfully employed, etc, and I figure I might best benefit humanity after all that time by delivering suppressive fire... and besides, having a red laser dot dancing around his area might be discouraging and distracting so others might have a better chance to exeunt.

So, if nobody else near me might be in danger simply because I'm drawing fire, that would also enter into my calc'lations.

Y' gotta think out your options in advance.  That used to be pop-psych "paranoid," but after Boulder-King Soopers, it's just good sense.

Speaking of "paranoid," the timing of these things sure looks like smoke surrounding a fire.  These weak-minded people will fall for a lot of weird suggestions

Terry, 230RN

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2021, 03:35:10 PM »
Speaking of "paranoid," the timing of these things sure looks like smoke surrounding a fire.  These weak-minded people will fall for a lot of weird suggestions

Terry, 230RN

Agreed.
The "timing" is too convenient, like so many other mass shootings.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2021, 04:51:31 PM »
Well the decision to engage should not be taken lightly.  Wife, 2.7 kids, 1.25 dogs, 7.4 cats, nope.  Beat feet, remembering that besides the emergency exits you should know about, take note that the back end of most stores have exits to the street or loading docks. So conceal or cover the best you can otherwise.

However, I'm 82, offsprings are gainfully employed, etc, and I figure I might best benefit humanity after all that time by delivering suppressive fire... and besides, having a red laser dot dancing around his area might be discouraging and distracting so others might have a better chance to exeunt.

So, if nobody else near me might be in danger simply because I'm drawing fire, that would also enter into my calc'lations.

Y' gotta think out your options in advance.  That used to be pop-psych "paranoid," but after Boulder-King Soopers, it's just good sense.

Terry, 230RN
A red laser might distract him, but I would hope he is distracted by getting shot before he notices the laser. 

These mass shooting episodes all seem to end pretty fast once someone else with a gun shows up to challenge the shooter (whether they are shot or not).  However, this time I wasn't sure if the one officer who died was trying to shoot the guy or if he just caught shot before knowing what was happening. 

230RN

• friend
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2021, 06:57:43 AM »
MechAg94 remarked,

"A red laser might distract him, but I would hope he is distracted by getting shot before he notices the laser."

True, but the hope that I might make a lucky disabling shot while my laser dot was dancing around was left unstated as being utterly unsavory to any Libwimps who happen to be reading APS.

I wish I knew more about Jack WIlson's sighting equipment and training habits... he's the church Deacon in Texas who dropped a shooter with one to the head.  DRT is better than a "disabling shot" in terms of ultimate expense to the State, but more bloodthirsty-sounding to the Libwimps.

Terry, 230RN

REF: I was going to post a video of the event, but most of them seem to have deleted the indelicate part.  Me, I call that lying by omission, and serves only to mollify the Libwimps.

"Extra Credit"  Nice solid 13 minute interview with Deacon Wilson by two "sympatico" reporters. Note that the initial suspicion of the shooter's activity was not <ahem> paranoid.  "I took out evil."
https://youtu.be/cuOEv1jCivg
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 07:54:00 AM by 230RN »

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2021, 07:24:56 AM »
*expletive deleted*ck what the liberals think stack bodies and end bloodlines.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2021, 08:25:05 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes