Author Topic: Computer records  (Read 844 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Computer records
« on: March 23, 2021, 05:42:07 PM »
Every once in awhile one of my programs hiccups and I have to reinstall it. That usually involves re-entering the serial number and/or activation key. Keeping track of years worth of CDs and DVDs is a chore for people like me, who are organizationally-challenged.

How do y'all keep track of that information? Or do you not bother?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Computer records
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 05:46:28 PM »
Every once in awhile one of my programs hiccups and I have to reinstall it. That usually involves re-entering the serial number and/or activation key. Keeping track of years worth of CDs and DVDs is a chore for people like me, who are organizationally-challenged.

belarc advisor
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 05:59:31 PM »
belarc advisor

I have it. It doesn't pick up many of the programs I have installed.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 06:07:41 PM »
I have it. It doesn't pick up many of the programs I have installed.

It's quite possible that belarc doesn't pick up programs written prior to 1970. You might have to just go into "about" in all your prgs and copy and paste the serial number into a spreadsheet and call it good.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 09:35:42 PM »

I write the S/Ns and/or keys on the disc with a sharpie just in case I lose the paperwork.
Also many important CDs and DVD I create ISOs of them and store on a small portable HDD of just in case I lose or damage the disc. Keys are in a text file stored with the ISOs. Most disc burning software have ISO creation capability.

Nlote: Been using flashdrives lately instead of HDDs. They're generally cheap enough for that now.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 10:17:19 PM »
LOL !!  :rofl:
Up until I started using this Win. 7 computer about 10 years ago, I was still using 3.5" floppies and ZIP discs on my XP computer.
I still have dozens of both, some never used.
  :old:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 10:36:30 PM »
Up until I started using this Win. 7 computer about 10 years ago, I was still using 3.5" floppies and ZIP discs on my XP computer.

ZIP discs bring up fond, not!, memories of The Zip Drive Click of Death

Click Click Click Click Click Click Click *expletive deleted*ck!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 10:45:55 PM »

Zip disks?  How nineties.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 11:44:03 PM »
Zip disks?  How nineties.
Nineties storage? There was also the 3M LS120 Superdisk, the immensely popular format that sold drives in the dozens! (It was a magnetic floppy disc that had optical tracking - developed by 3M, it went along with the "Imation" spinoff.) It was technically superior to ZIP discs, but management dithering - and the process of spinning off another company - delayed it, so it never really caught on.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 11:53:35 PM »
I think I have a new superdisk in the shrink wrapped box. Let me look tomorrow.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 03:40:17 PM »
ZIP discs bring up fond, not!, memories of The Zip Drive Click of Death

Click Click Click Click Click Click Click *expletive deleted*ck!

The ZIP drive in the XP's tower never failed me.  While I haven't used this external ZIP drive on this W7 computer in 4-5 years, it was still working then.  And it had been used on my mother's XP computer for at least 5 years before that.  Never did get the "click".  Sorry you had problems as they worked for me.
A company I worked for from 1999-2001 was still using an old VAX system with TEN INCH floppies !!
You wanna talk OLD!?!?
  :rofl:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 03:50:31 PM »
The ZIP drive in the XP's tower never failed me.  While I haven't used this external ZIP drive on this W7 computer in 4-5 years, it was still working then.  And it had been used on my mother's XP computer for at least 5 years before that.  Never did get the "click".  Sorry you had problems as they worked for me.

I've worked in the IT field since the 80s, Zip drives were notoriously famous for the click of death and it was rare to find that didn't. When I sold computers nearly every Zip drive we sold died that way and came back.   
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 05:36:07 PM »
I've worked in the IT field since the 80s, Zip drives were notoriously famous for the click of death and it was rare to find that didn't. When I sold computers nearly every Zip drive we sold died that way and came back.

Makes me glad that was one technology I never tried.