Author Topic: GM's New Pickup (not available in the US)  (Read 798 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
GM's New Pickup (not available in the US)
« on: March 24, 2021, 09:22:39 AM »
I don't know how well it will end up working, but I thought this was an interesting concept: A pickup where the bed unfolds into a flatbed. That seems like a really useable idea for a working truck. A lot of the actual ranchers around here like driving flatbeds for hauling hay and whatnot, but they're then limited for hauling stuff you might scoop into a pickup bed.  I bet they would like something like this.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/gms-newest-pickup-costs-9000
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: GM's New Pickup (not available in the US)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 09:25:33 AM »
Neat
$9,000? The US version would probably be north of $30,000
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 09:28:46 AM »
$9,000? The US version would probably be north of $30,000

Yeah, that's cheaper than most UTVs in the US. Of course it appears to put out 99HP. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 09:29:07 AM »
Just get a Unimog.  It is even more betterer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1AJO5NfAEk

Skip to 17:30 to see the features of the bed.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 09:30:23 AM »
Yeah, that's cheaper than most UTVs in the US. Of course it appears to put out 99HP. :)

For it's intended purpose 99hp with the right transmission should be fine.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 09:53:43 AM »
If we wanted more government I would propose a registration for a rural use truck. No urban areas, no interstate. But also no crash standards, sensible emissions, no power anything and cheaper than a utv.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 10:43:42 AM »
Just get a Unimog.  It is even more betterer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1AJO5NfAEk

Skip to 17:30 to see the features of the bed.

That would be a blast around here if it were 1/10th the price.  :laugh:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 10:56:18 AM »
A lot of the actual ranchers around here like driving flatbeds for hauling hay and whatnot, but they're then limited for hauling stuff you might scoop into a pickup bed. 

I assumed it was for ease using a goose stock trailer and least that is why the cattle guys have them here.  A regular bed would get crushed by a jack knifing a trailer into a tight spot.

Also there are manufactured flatbeds for pickups that have side rails that drop/fold down.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 10:59:57 AM »
I assumed it was for ease using a goose stock trailer and least that is why the cattle guys have them here.  A regular bed would get crushed my a jack knifing a trailer into a tight spot.

Also there are manufactured flatbeds for pickups that have side rails that drop/fold down.

I guess that too.  =D

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 11:39:11 PM »
I assumed it was for ease using a goose stock trailer and least that is why the cattle guys have them here.  A regular bed would get crushed by a jack knifing a trailer into a tight spot.

Speaking of which, have any o' y'all priced chassis cabs, new or used? Once you add in a bed, I'm guessing you wouldn't save much over just buying a pick-up, right? Or can you really cheap out on the bed? Like get one from a junked F-150, or an old flat-bed truck?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 09:05:40 AM »
Speaking of which, have any o' y'all priced chassis cabs, new or used? Once you add in a bed, I'm guessing you wouldn't save much over just buying a pick-up, right? Or can you really cheap out on the bed? Like get one from a junked F-150, or an old flat-bed truck?

There is a factory that builds fiberglass truck bodies in one of the towns I drive through for work. It appears that pickups (1/2, 3/4, 1 ton) are purchased new with beds intact, because I see one lot of intact trucks in one lot and in the other lot there is trucks with fiberglass rear bodies, like tool boxes. There is a organized stack of new truck beds in another location.

Stellar Crane and IMT are also in another town I drive through, both of them builds and installs cranes on bigger trucks, they tend to get new trucks that are cab/chassis only. I'm talking 1 ton and bigger pickups. The big trucks naturally are cab/chassis from the factory so they can be customized for the customer.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 03:15:18 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 05:07:37 PM »
A 1.5 liter 4 cylinder with only 99 HP?
FUGEDABOTIT !!
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”