Author Topic: "Is climate anxiety a form of white fragility or even racial anxiety?"  (Read 1290 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
I keep trying to come up with something to say about this article but words fail me right now, my brain is too numb. But WOW it's a load of crap

From the former Scientific American

One year ago, I published a book called A Field Guide to Climate Anxiety. Since its publication, I have been struck by the fact that those responding to the concept of climate anxiety are overwhelmingly white. Indeed, these climate anxiety circles are even whiter than the environmental circles I’ve been in for decades. Today, a year into the pandemic, after the murder of George Floyd and the protests that followed, and the attack on the U.S. Capitol, I am deeply concerned about the racial implications of climate anxiety. If people of color are more concerned about climate change than white people, why is the interest in climate anxiety so white? Is climate anxiety a form of white fragility or even racial anxiety? Put another way, is climate anxiety just code for white people wishing to hold onto their way of life or get “back to normal,” to the comforts of their privilege?

The white response to climate change is literally suffocating to people of color. Climate anxiety can operate like white fragility, sucking up all the oxygen in the room and devoting resources toward appeasing the dominant group. As climate refugees are framed as a climate security threat, will the climate-anxious recognize their role in displacing people from around the globe? Will they be able to see their own fates tied to the fates of the dispossessed? Or will they hoard resources, limit the rights of the most affected and seek to save only their own, deluded that this xenophobic strategy will save them? How can we make sure that climate anxiety is harnessed for climate justice?

Climate Anxiety Is an Overwhelmingly White Phenomenon
Is it really just code for white people wishing to hold onto their way of life or to get “back to normal?”
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-unbearable-whiteness-of-climate-anxiety/
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 12:52:27 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
Climate Anxiety Is an Overwhelmingly White Phenomenon
Is it really just code for white people wishing to hold onto their way of life or to get “back to normal?”

Or maybe it's proof that people of color are smarter than people of no (all) color(s), which means they're smart enough to not give a rat's patootie about your so-called "climate anxiety."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
It isn't "white" response.  It is white liberals/leftists.  And not everyone agrees with them especially as they want to use it to make the lives of lower middle class people worse.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
It isn't "white" response.  It is white liberals/leftists. 

And not any different than anything else these bozos do. Just like, when Priuses came out, getting rid of perfectly good new cars so they could be seen in a Prius, but not in a Honda Accord with the same technology, because the hybrid Accord looked just like the gasoline Accord. It's all about woke showboating.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
It isn't "white" response.  It is white liberals/leftists.  And not everyone agrees with them especially as they want to use it to make the lives of lower middle class people worse.

The quintessential white liberal.

The author: https://envcomm.humboldt.edu/people/sarah-ray.

I note that she uses "latinx" unironically.

I wonder what they pay her.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Until this very moment, I had never heard the phrase 'climate anxiety' and had to Google it.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
The quintessential white liberal.

The author: https://envcomm.humboldt.edu/people/sarah-ray.

I note that she uses "latinx" unironically.

I wonder what they pay her.

And the quintessential example of Piled higher and Deeper.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

brimic

• friends
I sometimes have anxiety about things, but race, climate, and environment don’t even reach my top 100.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Until this very moment, I had never heard the phrase 'climate anxiety' and had to Google it.

Yeah, what the heck is it?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon

Something pale liberals have.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: "Is climate anxiety a form of white fragility or even racial anxiety?"
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 02:21:33 PM »
I just assumed it is people who think we are rapidly destroying the world by not passing climate control regulations (even though those regulations will have no positive impact
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 04:13:03 PM »
If these idiots would just go hug a tree or kiss a dolphin, their anxieties would be relieved and they wouldn't have to bother the rest of us with them.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 04:21:35 PM »
If these idiots would just go hug a tree or kiss a dolphin Polar Bear, their anxieties would be relieved and they wouldn't have to bother the rest of us with them.

Polar Bears need love too  >:D
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 06:10:35 AM »
 There is no "science" in that article.

Who owns the magazine? You have to wonder at the systemic racism in most media today and who is orchestrating it. It IS a concerted effort to deride people because of the color of their skin. Currently focused on "white". If you wrote the same pieces but changed the color, it would be an outrage, as per current SJW NWO globalist commie pRoToCol.

Check this:
https://nypost.com/2021/03/23/cincinnati-prof-john-ucker-loses-job-over-chinese-virus-email/
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 08:04:51 AM »
White fragility = seeing and acknowledging that the values, culture and nations of white Europeans are being targeted by leftists for takeover and demographic replacement. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.