Author Topic: It takes a village but the village is nuts  (Read 2704 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: It takes a village but the village is nuts
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2021, 01:33:23 PM »
As a related aside, over the (many) years I've run into a couple of women who would always refer to their off-scene significant other as "my spouse",  not "my husband".  Always made me wonder if that was a lesbian partner.

The same question arises when I read articles that refer to someone's "partner."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2021, 01:39:55 PM »
The same question arises when I read articles that refer to someone's "partner."

I remember who weird that sounded to me when I first heard it in grad school. Boomer here, but "partner" was often how guys referred to each other for more than work partnerships - it was for fishing, hunting and what not. You wouldn't say "hunting partner", you just said "partner" and everyone knew it was for some recreational pursuit or other.

Hearing girls use it for their boyfriends was weird. Moreso when guys used it for their girlfriend. Even weirder, grad school was where I first learned of the phenomena of people getting married making up a new last name composed of a part of each of theirs, or guys hyphenating their last name. I still don't get that. If the girl doesn't want the guy's last name, just keep your own. Much easier.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2021, 01:43:33 PM »
I remember who weird that sounded to me when I first heard it in grad school. Boomer here, but "partner" was often how guys referred to each other for more than work partnerships - it was for fishing, hunting and what not. You wouldn't say "hunting partner", you just said "partner" and everyone knew it was for some recreational pursuit or other.

Hearing girls use it for their boyfriends was weird. Moreso when guys used it for their girlfriend. Even weirder, grad school was where I first learned of the phenomena of people getting married making up a new last name composed of a part of each of theirs, or guys hyphenating their last name. I still don't get that. If the girl doesn't want the guy's last name, just keep your own. Much easier.

You can't say "girl" or "guy" anymore (guy is almost okay)  It's racist.   :rofl:
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2021, 02:07:44 PM »

"Partner" I take as "together but not officially married".  Often homosexual, but can be hetero.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2021, 02:13:05 PM »

Back in the '80s, a married couple we knew started off both with his last name.  Then she changed hers it to HerName-HisName.  Then finally went back to her unmarried name.  All while being married.  She "didn't like his last name"  (which was "Lackey", so I can maybe see that.)  They moved away before we could see the end of all this, but I always wondered if they eventually split up.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2021, 04:11:21 PM »
As a related aside, over the (many) years I've run into a couple of women who would always refer to their off-scene significant other as "my spouse",  not "my husband".  Always made me wonder if that was a lesbian partner.
If you ever tune in to some house remodeling show on HGTV, you'll see they seem to select for a lot of those.  ;/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2021, 04:54:06 PM »
If you ever tune in to some house remodeling show on HGTV, you'll see they seem to select for a lot of those.  ;/

I work with two people who were on one of those house buying shows.  House Hunters, maybe?  They said the whole thing is essentially scripted and the couples have already decided on a house and had an offer accepted.  I shouldn't be surprised, because Reality TV is anything but reality.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2021, 04:59:48 PM »
I work with two people who were on one of those house buying shows.  House Hunters, maybe?  They said the whole thing is essentially scripted and the couples have already decided on a house and had an offer accepted.  I shouldn't be surprised, because Reality TV is anything but reality.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2021, 05:03:42 PM »
I work with two people who were on one of those house buying shows.  House Hunters, maybe?  They said the whole thing is essentially scripted and the couples have already decided on a house and had an offer accepted.  I shouldn't be surprised, because Reality TV everything on TV including the news is anything but an accurate representation of reality.

More accurate  :laugh:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2021, 10:27:07 PM »
I'm embarrassed to admit that the first time I tuned in to "Moonshiners" I didn't fully realize that it was fake scripted until about halfway between the first and second commercial break - I knew something was wrong with the show since nobody sane will admit on TV that they cheat on their taxes (even if they're using a pseudonym) but since it was on the Discovery channel I thought it might be for real.

It wasn't and isn't.

Duh.  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2021, 11:17:06 PM »
I'm embarrassed to admit that the first time I tuned in to "Moonshiners" I didn't fully realize that it was fake scripted until about halfway between the first and second commercial break - I knew something was wrong with the show since nobody sane will admit on TV that they cheat on their taxes (even if they're using a pseudonym) but since it was on the Discovery channel I thought it might be for real.

It wasn't and isn't.

Duh.  :facepalm:

But to be fair, tax evasion is our nation's founding sport.  =D

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2021, 11:17:37 PM »
Back in the '80s, a married couple we knew started off both with his last name.  Then she changed hers it to HerName-HisName.  Then finally went back to her unmarried name.  All while being married.  She "didn't like his last name"  (which was "Lackey", so I can maybe see that.)  They moved away before we could see the end of all this, but I always wondered if they eventually split up.

I know several womens that have hyphenated their name when they got married. A couple of them were already established in their field of work when they got married so kind of makes sense. My #1 sailing buddy's wife just kept her last name.
I know several couples where the guy took the wife's last name, the latest is one of my nieces and her husband.
What ever works for them is none of my business.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2021, 07:47:53 PM »

OK, now that's a little bit weird.

One of the few posts on my Book of Faces that I've set to world viewable is a link to the obituary of a lady we knew a while back, the mother of some college friends.  It'll get random likes from spammy accounts, now and then.

Who should "like" it today?   This lady.  The lady I was talking about, the one shuffling her name around back in the late '80s, trying to figure out what she wanted to be called.  We have had zero contact with them, nor news, for 30+ years.  I'd totally forgotten her husband's name, and gotten the spelling not-quite-right.

Weird.