Author Topic: Guess what's racist/white supremacy now  (Read 62001 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Guess what's racist/white supremacy now
« Reply #250 on: February 09, 2022, 07:03:45 PM »
The yellow thumbs-up emoji

NPR: Academics argue white people using the yellow thumbs-up emoji ‘signals a lack of awareness about white privilege’
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/02/09/npr-academics-argue-white-people-using-the-yellow-thumbs-up-emoji-signals-a-lack-of-awareness-about-white-privilege/

I know that I have had it with the racist white privilege emojis on APS. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #251 on: February 09, 2022, 07:18:04 PM »
I know that I have had it with the racist white privilege emojis on APS. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

=) ;) =| =( =D :O ;/ :lol: ??? :cool: :P :-[ :mad: :angel: :-X :laugh: :police: [tinfoil] :-* :'( [popcorn] >:D :facepalm: [barf] [ar15] :rofl: :old:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #252 on: February 09, 2022, 08:19:21 PM »

I switched to the yellow OK sign a few years ago.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #253 on: February 09, 2022, 09:26:00 PM »

Okay, boomer.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #254 on: February 09, 2022, 11:55:09 PM »

Should be??  Okay, I'm cool with that  :rofl:
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #255 on: February 10, 2022, 09:09:28 AM »
The yellow thumbs-up emoji

NPR: Academics argue white people using the yellow thumbs-up emoji ‘signals a lack of awareness about white privilege’
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/02/09/npr-academics-argue-white-people-using-the-yellow-thumbs-up-emoji-signals-a-lack-of-awareness-about-white-privilege/

Oh, I've got a finger up, just not the one we're talking about.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #256 on: February 10, 2022, 09:14:03 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #257 on: February 10, 2022, 09:29:59 AM »
When you think about it, it's kind of funny that the yellow ones didn't become racist until after the SJWs started demanding other colors. Having been around since "emojis" were simply ":)", as best as I can recall, yellow was the first color and the only one available for a long, long while.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 10, 2022, 06:44:36 PM »
It all started with the "Walmart" Smiley Face that was stolen from the pattern the mud made on Forrest Gump's T-Shirt.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #259 on: February 11, 2022, 11:41:15 PM »
Why hasn't anyone realized that both the subject and color make this common emoji racist?   :O

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #260 on: February 13, 2022, 06:46:46 PM »
Music Theory
And don't you dare disagree

Texas professor sues university after being punished for saying music theory isn't racist
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/texas-professor-sues-univ-after-being-punished-saying-music-theory-isnt-racist
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #261 on: February 13, 2022, 10:12:11 PM »
Music Theory
And don't you dare disagree

Texas professor sues university after being punished for saying music theory isn't racist
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/texas-professor-sues-univ-after-being-punished-saying-music-theory-isnt-racist

Wow!

So a POC claims that music theory is White supremacy, a professor of music theory puts out an academic journal in which some articles support the White supremacist view while others rebut it (sounds like a healthy intellectual exercise to me) ... so the school
  • Orders him to submit a report about his actions
  • Without waiting for the report, cancels his position as head of the journal
  • Cancels funding for the journal
  • Cancels the center that the journal was associated with

... and then, when he sues, claims his assertions are "baseless" and that the university didn't take any adverse action against him.

You want cognitive dissonance? I give you ... cognitive dissonance.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #262 on: February 13, 2022, 11:09:55 PM »
Wow!

So a POC claims that music theory is White supremacy, a professor of music theory puts out an academic journal in which some articles support the White supremacist view while others rebut it (sounds like a healthy intellectual exercise to me) ... so the school
  • Orders him to submit a report about his actions
  • Without waiting for the report, cancels his position as head of the journal
  • Cancels funding for the journal
  • Cancels the center that the journal was associated with

... and then, when he sues, claims his assertions are "baseless" and that the university didn't take any adverse action against him.

You want cognitive dissonance? I give you ... cognitive dissonance.

You misspelled malfeasance. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #263 on: February 14, 2022, 10:01:18 AM »
"The defendants have formally notified the court of appeals that we are appealing the district court’s decision to deny our motion to dismiss," a spokesperson for the school said. "Dr. Jackson’s faculty colleagues have not harmed him in any way, and federal court is not the place to try the plaintiff’s baseless allegations against them. Further, neither the Board of Regents nor the university have taken any adverse action against Dr. Jackson."
So they have taken action against him, but not any adverse action.  Sounds like they are saying they have done stuff aimed at him, but none of it actually hurt him so please dismiss the suit. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #264 on: February 14, 2022, 01:49:33 PM »
So they have taken action against him, but not any adverse action.  Sounds like they are saying they have done stuff aimed at him, but none of it actually hurt him so please dismiss the suit.

That does appear to be their argument. Apparently that university must not have an English Department:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/adverse

adverse adjective

ad·​verse | \ ad-ˈvərs
, ˈad-ˌvərs \

Essential Meaning of adverse
: bad or unfavorable : not good adverse criticism/remarks He had an adverse reaction to the medicine. [=he reacted badly to the medicine; the medicine had a bad effect on him] See More Examples

Full Definition of adverse

1 : acting against or in a contrary direction : hostile hindered by adverse winds

2a : opposed to one's interests an adverse verdict heard testimony adverse to their position especially : unfavorable adverse criticism
b : causing harm : harmful adverse drug effects

3 archaic : opposite in position

Pb

• friend
« Reply #265 on: February 14, 2022, 02:01:36 PM »
Public universities who behave this way need to be defunded by the state.

And repeal federal student loan support entirely.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #266 on: February 14, 2022, 03:14:06 PM »
That does appear to be their argument. Apparently that university must not have an English Department:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/adverse
I had to look up the definition also to make sure I understood why they used that word.   =D  Seemed like an odd way to say it.  I usually just wing it with vocabulary, but I shouldn't.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #267 on: February 14, 2022, 04:36:59 PM »
I had to look up the definition also to make sure I understood why they used that word.   =D  Seemed like an odd way to say it.  I usually just wing it with vocabulary, but I shouldn't.

Well, my point was that, as I read the definition, the university's actions very much were "adverse" to the professor. Doing things that meet the definition in multiple ways while claiming the opposite hopefully won't get them far in court.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #268 on: February 23, 2022, 08:30:23 PM »
Invading Ukraine
 :facepalm:

‘The absolute worst Ukraine take’: Vladimir Putin very much benefits from white privilege
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/02/23/the-absolute-worst-ukraine-take-vladimir-putin-very-much-benefits-from-white-privilege/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #269 on: March 08, 2022, 10:50:07 AM »
Almost too true, from a lib point of view, to be funny.

Here Are The 7 Telltale Signs Your Newborn Baby Is A Racist
https://babylonbee.com/news/here-are-the-7-telltale-signs-your-newborn-baby-is-a-white-supremacist
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #270 on: March 12, 2022, 07:55:14 AM »
Remember that Zimmerman "White Hispanic" goofiness?
Well now we have "White Nationalist Hispanics" which basically is any Hispanic that votes republican.

Polling emergency! Axios reports on ‘rise of white nationalist Hispanics’
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/03/11/polling-emergency-axios-reports-on-rise-of-white-nationalist-hispanics/

The rise of white nationalist Hispanics
https://www.axios.com/rise-white-nationalist-hispanics-latinos-379c3177-8bcd-45a7-8fec-d7f723f8a94d.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=politics-extremism
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #271 on: March 12, 2022, 10:06:34 AM »
It was said Black and Hispanic voters were moving in large numbers toward the GOP in the 2020 election.  It really didn't turn out that way.  I don't expect any difference in the mid-terms despite these polling numbers.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #272 on: March 12, 2022, 10:11:40 AM »
It was said Black and Hispanic voters were moving in large numbers toward the GOP in the 2020 election.  It really didn't turn out that way.  I don't expect any difference in the mid-terms despite these polling numbers.

Depends on which sources you look to.

https://search.brave.com/search?q=black+Hispanic+exit+polls+2020&source=android
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #273 on: March 12, 2022, 11:58:04 AM »
Well now we have "White Nationalist Hispanics" which basically is any Hispanic that votes republican.

:rofl:

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #274 on: March 22, 2022, 10:04:49 AM »
Tipping is a legacy of slavery.

‘Fight racism by NOT tipping’: Nikole Hannah-Jones DRAGGED for claim that ‘tipping is a legacy of slavery’ (instead of just admitting she’s cheap)
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/03/22/fight-racism-by-not-tipping-nikole-hannah-jones-dragged-for-claim-that-tipping-is-a-legacy-of-slavery-instead-of-just-admitting-shes-cheap/
- Calvin and Hobbes