Author Topic: You Worthless Gas Stove People!  (Read 590 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
You Worthless Gas Stove People!
« on: March 27, 2021, 08:40:57 AM »
We're You're all destroying the planet (again)!!!

I like one of the comments whining at evil landlords because they won't "upgrade" from gas to electric to assuage the tenant's need to be eco-cool. Buy your own place and do whatever you want, whiner.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/03/27/lib-wants-to-spins-wheel-ban-gas-stoves-to-save-the-planet/

I will say that further down, the guy pushes induction. Which, I have a standalone induction plate, and it's the bomb, but from my understanding, actual induction ranges are really expensive both to buy and fix. Which cancels out his "gas stoves are an affectation of upper class culture though" bullshit.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
Re: You Worthless Gas Stove People!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 10:26:44 AM »
I like gas. I've had both natural and propane and you cant beat the reliability, efficiency, control, and cost. Spreading out the burning of gas in homes instead of all in one place to produce electricity doesn't concentrate the so-called pollutants (CO2 and water vapor) in one spot. The local fauna appreciates it. They need the CO2 to survive!

It's the only way to stop the obesity in plant life around power plants! :old: :rofl:

Seriously, I like not losing power for days on end - up to weeks!

Woody.
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 10:48:37 AM »
We usually have at least one multi-day power outage here every year. Every few years the outage lasts 5 to 7 days. My old generator would allow me to use the microwave but not the electric range, and definitely not the electric oven. I had to get a newer generator so I went up a bit on power, so now I can use the microwave or ONE of the stovetop burners -- but still not the oven. With a gas range, and a match, I could cook anything, any time.

It’s important to note that building electrification won’t clean up the emissions and other environmental impacts of generating electricity. Advocates note that it’s as much about building the infrastructure for a zero-emission, renewable power system of the future as it is cutting out sources of carbon emissions now. The Sierra Club estimates that a third of the buildings in California that will exist in 2045 will be built between now and then; electrifying now will both cut emissions and help bolster the market for electric appliances.

So all those house being built in California don't have any electric service? I'm betting that they all have at least 200 amp service and a couple or more spare breaker spaces in their electric panels, so it it ever comes to where electric cooking is really better or necessary, it's not rocket science to add a 240-volt circuit to wherever you want the stove to be.

Isn't Matt Greunig a cartoonist? So this must be a verbal cartoon, right?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 11:39:02 AM »
We usually have at least one multi-day power outage here every year. Every few years the outage lasts 5 to 7 days. My old generator would allow me to use the microwave but not the electric range, and definitely not the electric oven. I had to get a newer generator so I went up a bit on power, so now I can use the microwave or ONE of the stovetop burners -- but still not the oven. With a gas range, and a match, I could cook anything, any time.

So all those house being built in California don't have any electric service? I'm betting that they all have at least 200 amp service and a couple or more spare breaker spaces in their electric panels, so it it ever comes to where electric cooking is really better or necessary, it's not rocket science to add a 240-volt circuit to wherever you want the stove to be.

Isn't Matt Greunig a cartoonist? So this must be a verbal cartoon, right?

It's Matt Bruenig, so your cartoonist is safe, at least for the moment.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 11:41:10 AM »
They can have my gas stove if they can pry it out from under my cold, dead hands clutching my wok sitting on the large burner.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 12:08:40 PM »
I'd love to have a wood or coal cookstove someday.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 12:29:14 PM »

The place I put an offer in for before I got this place had the most awesomest wood cooking stove I've ever seen. Ginormous and just first class. Of course they had a clause that they were taking it with them when they moved.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 12:33:31 PM »
The place I put an offer in for before I got this place had the most awesomest wood cooking stove I've ever seen. Ginormous and just first class. Of course they had a clause that they were taking it with them when they moved.

Mine will be in a summer kitchen.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 02:13:25 PM »

Go with coal. It is impervious to anything except fire. It wont rot, wont dissolve in the rain, you can bury it and dig it up when you need it, and still relatively cheap.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 07:17:44 PM »

My wood/coal stove in the cabin has two cooking eyes I use sometimes. At the house it is duel fuel. Gas cooktop with electric oven. We love the direct temperature control of the the cooktop and she loves the dry heat of the oven for baked goods.

A gas oven will work on a very small generator. Only around 3.3 amps for the oven igniter. Top will light with a match.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 07:54:23 AM »
I'm sure they'll be coming for my pellet stove sooner or later.

My retirement plan was always to move back to Pennsylvania and get a small house with a coal stove. Now, however, I probably won't be doing that, so it will be a pellet stove no matter where I land.

Both coal and wood have their charms, but they're also a big pain in the ass. I love the fact that I can treat my pellet stove as if it's a utility heater -- turn it on or off with the press of a button, or turn the heat level up or down as effortlessly.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.