Author Topic: Free Internet in San Francisco (15 years ago)  (Read 643 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Free Internet in San Francisco (15 years ago)
« on: March 28, 2021, 11:18:30 AM »
This is only one side of the story, but wow! I tend to believe what he says. Basically, this investor wanted to provide free Internet to all of San Francisco 15 years ago. San Fran politicians chased him out of town. Everything from political rivalries to telling him he wasn't doing enough unless he also included free laptops. Insane.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2021/03/28/wow-chris-saccas-thread-on-trying-to-give-san-francisco-free-internet-access-shows-just-how-jaw-droppingly-corrupt-their-leaders-are/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Free Internet in San Francisco (15 years ago)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 11:59:55 AM »
Internet service is taxed, if it's free no tax. Of course they're going to find reasons to run him out of town, he was a threat to a cash cow
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 12:13:05 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 03:27:13 PM »
Internet service is taxed, if it's free no tax. Of course they're going to find reasons to run him out of town, he was a threat to a cash cow

It is always about money.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 05:05:26 PM »
It is always about money.

Sometimes it's about power.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 05:07:41 PM »
Money ---> Power
Power ---> Money
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 07:28:52 PM »
In the 50s a company was willing to provide L.A. with a free monorail system, L.A. wouldn't have to do anything except allow it. The monorail company would keep all the fare money though.

The council turned them down.

There's also a few stories about parking meter companies wiling to provide meters for free to cities but they collect all the money until the meters are paid for plus a little bit and being turned down because the cities want the meters and the money.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 09:21:34 AM »
I recall in the '90's, Rush talked about a company that developed paid automatic self cleaning toilets that cost a dollar or something.  This company was going to put them around NYC where apparently few public bathrooms are available.  The city shut that down. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge