Author Topic: Lack of Child Care at USSTRATCOM  (Read 544 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Lack of Child Care at USSTRATCOM
« on: March 30, 2021, 08:09:09 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Lack of Child Care at USSTRATCOM
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 10:04:47 AM »
Does STRATCOM really need to be on Twitter? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 10:42:32 AM »

This is my question regarding 90% of fed.gov.

IMHO, most of the gov should only have web pages hosted by gov servers. They can put all that social media announcement crap on the websites and completely cut out involving themselves in the shitshow that is twitter and friendface and social media.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 10:45:44 AM »
Shall we play a game?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 01:25:41 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 02:44:41 PM »

There was a time when federal .gov presence on the inter webs was limited and it had to go through the proper channels and be in proper formats to be published. Maintaining an official or unofficial channel on social media was unthinkable.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 03:16:37 PM »
There was a time when federal .gov presence on the inter webs was limited and it had to go through the proper channels and be in proper formats to be published. Maintaining an official or unofficial channel on social media was unthinkable.
I could understand the Army or Air Force having a Twitter presence for recruiting if nothing else.  I don't understand every different command having their own social media page.  That tells me there are officers in these commands who spend time worrying about what they will post on Twitter on a daily basis.  That just sounds nuts. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 05:29:57 PM »

That's how it was most of my time there. In fact in the early years, everything for field office web sites had to go through DC for proofing before it was posted. They started using Facebook my last year there, and ethics violations (like cheerleading certain politics) got pretty blatant from the git-go with usually interns running the facebook pages with no oversight.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 02:56:20 AM »
There was a time when federal .gov presence on the inter webs was limited and it had to go through the proper channels and be in proper formats to be published. to spying on its citizens. Maintaining an official or unofficial channel on social media was unthinkable.

FTFY.   [tinfoil]

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 07:43:31 AM »
I think the units need to be on there just because it is the public square now. Each unit will have a PAO anyway so might as well keep that Lt. occupied. Leadership also needs to see how their units are interacting with the world. Because if you are blind to it your junior troops are still on there spreading all sorts of crap. A usual unit response is to ban their troops from social use. Good luck, next tell teens to keep it in their pants and see how that goes. I would much rather have a thick skinned command team engaged in social media. Or stay dumb and end up how the 2/30 Wild Boars of Fort Polk are. Getting dragged and for good reason.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.