Author Topic: On Smartphones and Privacy  (Read 415 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
On Smartphones and Privacy
« on: March 31, 2021, 08:52:44 AM »
I thought this was an interesting article. Not just from the headline of "Android send 20x more data to Google than iOS does to Apple", but just how much, and how often data is sent, even when you have your privacy at the highest settings.

Makes that "de-google your phone" site that Perd posted a while back just that much more desirable.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/03/android-sends-20x-more-data-to-google-than-ios-sends-to-apple-study-says/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: On Smartphones and Privacy
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 09:37:15 AM »
https://www.infowarsstore.com/preparedness/privacy-and-security/infowars-privacy-pouch
Infowars sells a privacy pouch to keep your phone in when you are not using it.   =)  Stories like this make me take that type of product more seriously. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 10:29:25 AM »
Best solution is to just root your phone and install one of the third-party Android OS's on it, and not use any Google products at all. And find all the aps you want as .apk's rather than from the Play store.

I promise not to duck.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 10:40:16 AM »
Actually, to me the smart phone is a perfect alibi protector. If I truly want to be left alone, I just leave the phone at home.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 10:49:11 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."