Author Topic: 8 dead in 3 separate shootings in Georgia  (Read 3668 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Re: 8 dead in 3 separate shootings in Georgia
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2021, 10:59:38 AM »
A Smith hammerless Airweight (not the scandium one) .38 SPL with a laser sight on it.... but practice using the iron sights.  Serious, but not overwhelming power, and safe, since there are only two ways to get it to fire:  (1) a long deliberate trigger pull or (2) throw it in a good fire for a about ten minutes.

The scandium/titanium version of it is way too light and has a punishing kick, which inspired me to think that if a gun were as light as its bullet, it would be just as dangerous on the back end as the front end.

Or, depending on the nature of your present relationship, recommend a Bryco or Jennings.

, 230RN

I think the Airweight is the one my mom had got some years back. I remember it having a very heavy and long trigger which she didn't like.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2021, 11:43:25 AM »
I've always been a little skeptical about the 9mm/.38/.357 revolvers.
Nominal bullet diameter of 9mm ..355" .38/.357 is .357. Does .002" not make much difference with jacketed bullets?
I know with cast the .002" can mean the difference between a reasonably accurate load and a load that can coat the barrel lead in just a few shots.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2021, 12:11:17 PM »
I've always been a little skeptical about the 9mm/.38/.357 revolvers.
Nominal bullet diameter of 9mm ..355" .38/.357 is .357. Does .002" not make much difference with jacketed bullets?
I know with cast the .002" can mean the difference between a reasonably accurate load and a load that can coat the barrel lead in just a few shots.

Are there revolvers that can shoot all three cartridges?  Seems like that wouldn't work because of the way the cartridge seats: on the mouth vs on the rim.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2021, 12:24:19 PM »
IMO, everyone is a little different and you just need to figure out what they can handle.

You are correct.  I've always had a problem with blanket statements such as, "Get the little lady a revolver," so when that suggestion comes up I feel the urge to suggest that the "little Lady" might not be able to use a revolver.  Or the lady may like a semi-auto better.

My wife prefers my Kimber Pro Carry in .40SW.  She can run it without issue and she easily handles the snappy recoil.  She doesn't like revolvers at all mainly because of the trigger.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2021, 12:39:50 PM »
Are there revolvers that can shoot all three cartridges?  Seems like that wouldn't work because of the way the cartridge seats: on the mouth vs on the rim.

I can think of the Ruger Blackhawk convertible and the Taurus 692, both of which use separate cylinders for the 9 mm and the .38/.357.  I am sure there are others that I am forgetting about right now.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2021, 12:46:42 PM »
You are correct.  I've always had a problem with blanket statements such as, "Get the little lady a revolver," so when that suggestion comes up I feel the urge to suggest that the "little Lady" might not be able to use a revolver.  Or the lady may like a semi-auto better.

My wife prefers my Kimber Pro Carry in .40SW.  She can run it without issue and she easily handles the snappy recoil.  She doesn't like revolvers at all mainly because of the trigger.

In my case, and hers, it wasn't a blanket statement. I know her, her mechanical aptitude is virtually zero and her hands would have trouble racking most semis. Many women I have steered toward a semi but with her anything mechanical it's best to keep it as simple as possible 
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2021, 03:09:28 PM »

Swappable cylinders, is what I see.  Taurus has or had one that features that, and TK Custom offers 9mm rechambering (and says your .38/.357 will still run in the modified cylinder).
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2021, 03:46:35 PM »

I sort of cringe when I see people suggest women should get a very small gun as they are often hard to shoot and have excessive recoil (not all of them).  I generally suggest people go rent a few guns and/or let me go with them and bring a few examples to try. 

I think new shooters would often handle full size 9mm pistols better than the very small guns.  Many people are intimidated by big guns even if they are easier to shoot.  A lot of large 9mm pistol slides are easier to rack with more surface area to grip.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2021, 04:15:52 PM »
I sort of cringe when I see people suggest women should get a very small gun as they are often hard to shoot and have excessive recoil (not all of them).  I generally suggest people go rent a few guns and/or let me go with them and bring a few examples to try. 

I think new shooters would often handle full size 9mm pistols better than the very small guns.  Many people are intimidated by big guns even if they are easier to shoot.  A lot of large 9mm pistol slides are easier to rack with more surface area to grip.

In my post (not that you were referring to it), I was not suggesting a revolver, but rather, if she went revolver, one with a trigger similar to the LCR trigger.

While there are various reasons for weak hand strength, and different kinds of weaknesses, a long, hard (that's what she said!) DA trigger pull, IMO, is much harder to accomplish for a weak hand than racking a slide. I notice this even with my own hands. When I practice weak hand drills, I "feel" like I need to exert more force to work a DA trigger than to rack any slide. Doing weak hand DA trigger practice is much harder for me than other weak hand firearm manipulation.

Other than the S&W EZs, and similar I would agree that a larger pistol is often easier for a weak handed person to manipulate than one with less surface area. From my own use,  I find my CZ Omega harder to rack than my FNX-9 because of the skinny slide design on the Omega. The FNX, or even my smaller Sig P938, have more surface area to grip on the slide.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2021, 04:17:37 PM »

Ruger has a "convertible" that comes with 2 cylinders.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2021, 05:09:36 PM »
In my post (not that you were referring to it), I was not suggesting a revolver, but rather, if she went revolver, one with a trigger similar to the LCR trigger.

While there are various reasons for weak hand strength, and different kinds of weaknesses, a long, hard (that's what she said!) DA trigger pull, IMO, is much harder to accomplish for a weak hand than racking a slide. I notice this even with my own hands. When I practice weak hand drills, I "feel" like I need to exert more force to work a DA trigger than to rack any slide. Doing weak hand DA trigger practice is much harder for me than other weak hand firearm manipulation.

Other than the S&W EZs, and similar I would agree that a larger pistol is often easier for a weak handed person to manipulate than one with less surface area. From my own use,  I find my CZ Omega harder to rack than my FNX-9 because of the skinny slide design on the Omega. The FNX, or even my smaller Sig P938, have more surface area to grip on the slide.
I wasn't cringing on what you said.  It just brings up memories of hearing those suggestions at gun shows/shops.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2021, 10:21:22 PM »
Getting back to the shootings -- reports said that the shooter bought the gun that day. Does anyone know if he bought it legally?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2021, 10:55:43 PM »
Getting back to the shootings -- reports said that the shooter bought the gun that day. Does anyone know if he bought it legally

Yes. I read an interview from the gun store he bought it from. He met all requirements.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2021, 11:03:19 PM »
Thanks. One more data point ... but I'm not sure for which argument.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2021, 11:08:54 AM »

Lots of different things work "well enough".  Enthusiast gunnies tend to want to optimize for the last few percent advantage, and spend lots of money getting there.

Part of working well is being safe(r) for a relatively unfamiliar user to handle.  We want it to fire, when we deliberately want it to.  Pull the trigger at need, it goes bang.  Good.  Just lying there, nothing's going to happen.  Good.  What I would worry about is random handling.  Monkey fingers, and "administrative handling", just plain being inattentative.  I see a lot of Internet gunnies talking like they think they are perfectly switched on, all the time.  "Yeah, sure you are."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2021, 10:05:38 PM »
My head hurts

Just. WOW! SF Board of Education Commissioner Alison Collins’ racist, anti-Asian tweets surface (this thread is especially BAD)
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2021/03/19/just-wow-sf-board-of-education-commissioner-alison-collins-racist-anti-asian-tweets-surface-this-thread-is-especially-bad/

She's back

School board VP who says Asian American students use ‘white supremacist thinking’ to get ahead suing school district, city, and maybe 50 other people for ‘spiritual damage to her soul’
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/03/31/school-board-vp-who-says-asian-american-students-use-white-supremacist-thinking-to-get-ahead-suing-school-district-city-and-maybe-50-other-people-for-spiritual-damage-to-her-soul/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2021, 10:28:56 AM »
She's back

School board VP who says Asian American students use ‘white supremacist thinking’ to get ahead suing school district, city, and maybe 50 other people for ‘spiritual damage to her soul’
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/03/31/school-board-vp-who-says-asian-american-students-use-white-supremacist-thinking-to-get-ahead-suing-school-district-city-and-maybe-50-other-people-for-spiritual-damage-to-her-soul/

Of course she has the classic Karen haircut.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2021, 10:33:18 AM »
I really like the "50 people that might piss me off in the future" placeholder. I wasn't aware that is even legal.

If there is any example of a frivolous lawsuit the requires some monetary punishment for the person who files it and loses, this is it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2021, 10:44:41 AM »
Wouldn't spiritual damage be to her spirit, rather than soul? I hope a judge entertains the suit just long enough to make her lawyer explain her view of the ontology of the human spirit, soul, and body. Just for our amusement.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2021, 11:46:16 AM »
Wouldn't spiritual damage be to her spirit, rather than soul? I hope a judge entertains the suit just long enough to make her lawyer explain her view of the ontology of the human spirit, soul, and body. Just for our amusement.

Definitely getting of into the weeds arguing bipartite vs. tripartite views of human nature.  Arguing in court.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 12:13:37 PM by lee n. field »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2021, 12:38:35 PM »
Maybe the spirit is the feelz.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2021, 12:49:39 PM »
As much as I blame her I want to know why every lawyer in the state didn't laugh her out of their offices when she floated this law suit. Oh wait....lawyers!  =|

bob

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2021, 06:58:13 PM »
As much as I blame her I want to know why every lawyer in the state didn't laugh her out of their offices when she floated this law suit. Oh wait....lawyers!  =|

bob

The other lawyers are waiting to see if her gambit works.  If it does, they will all join in on the fun.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2021, 11:38:49 PM »
The other lawyers are waiting to see if her gambit works.  If it does, they will all join in on the fun.

Cash in on the fun.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife