Author Topic: Sandwich bracket fight. Pick your winner.  (Read 1437 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Sandwich bracket fight. Pick your winner.
« on: April 01, 2021, 07:16:40 PM »
https://bracketfights.com/create/encyclopedia-of-sandwiches-3

My final round was a croque monsieur vs a meatball sub.  The fancy French grilled cheese won.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
Re: Sandwich bracket fight. Pick your winner.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 08:23:03 PM »
Lobster Roll over Cheesesteak

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 08:29:27 PM »
First place: Cubano

Second place: Meatball sub
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 09:49:49 PM »
Cubano beats cheesesteak, obviously.

Lobster roll and meatball sub didn't make it past their first rounds.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 12:14:24 AM »
Came down to a torta vs a BLT.  Difficult choice, there's a little hole in the wall mexican place near my office that makes an EXCELLENT torta.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 12:36:30 AM »
I was surprised there was no muffuletta or St. Paul sandwich.

Also, I think the banh mi would go farther if they'd include some jalapenos.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 06:58:30 AM »
My final was the Reuben vs the Thanksgiving.

Reuben won in a blow out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 08:16:37 AM »
You people need to broaden your horizons.

Though BLT won, the final four were Bánh mì, Gyro, Pulled Pork, and the BLT.

Those were very hard choices and the Po Boy got screwed by having a bad bracket and hot sauce on it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 09:05:15 AM »
You people need to broaden your horizons.

Though BLT won, the final four were Bánh mì, Gyro, Pulled Pork, and the BLT.

Those were very hard choices and the Po Boy got screwed by having a bad bracket and hot sauce on it.

The banh mi is too broad of a term to call it just one sandwich.  Strictly speaking, bahn mi is the bread, not the sandwich, so I couldn't vote for it even though I do enjoy those sandwiches.

The gyro is a little more specific than the bahn mi since gyro describes how the meat is cooked.  Still, the term is too broad.  Is it a chicken, beef, pork, or lamb gyro?

Pulled pork is a specific sandwich.  I can vote for that, but it isn't a winner for me.  I'd rather have a brisket sandwich.

The BLT is also specific.  I do love a good BLT, but I don't think of it when I want a sammy. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 10:23:52 AM »
"the final four were Bánh mì, Gyro, Pulled Pork, and the BLT."

Oh my various Gods! I've never had ANY of those sammiches!

I can't believe how narrow my world view is...

I think there were maybe only two sandwiches on that bracket I've never heard of, and maybe 5 I've never eaten but made a judgement call on based on content.

It's not an exercise in cultural sandwich wokeness, for God's sakes... it's what we like. For me, there's no way in hell that a PB&J would ever get past the first round.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 10:27:52 AM »
Italian Beef won against the Gyro.

The Cubano, Rueben, meatball sammich and chicken salad were all in the running at the end.

The results could be different among these on any given Sunday.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 10:49:41 AM »
A lot of those sandwiches have a variety of variations based on ingredients.

Reuben. Popular variant is the Turkey Reuben.

PB&J?  Crunch or smooth P, tons of varieties of J. Not to mention the bread it's served on.

Cheese steak? Chicken cheese steak.

Poboy? Oyster? Shrimp? Fish?

You're voting on a concept, not an absolute.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 10:52:44 AM »
"St. Paul sandwich."

I just threw up.

A lot...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2021, 11:09:39 AM »
BBQ Beef sandwich.  The grilled cheese made it to the end, it was a weak bracket.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2021, 12:49:56 PM »
Reuben beat the meatball sub.

Other good sandwiches were eliminated early due to the early pairings.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2021, 01:16:00 PM »
Reuben beat the meatball sub.

Other good sandwiches were eliminated early due to the early pairings.

You're not kidding. There were a couple of seriously solid contenders against each other in both brackets.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2021, 01:22:36 PM »
The grilled cheese made it to the end, it was a weak bracket.

Yeah. I never realized how much I liked grill cheese sammitches. My wife does 'em right, w/ the mayo and such.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2021, 01:33:07 PM »
I forget what sandwiches the Grilled Cheese came up against in my bracket, but it got progressively tougher on the picks. Not sure which one beat GC, but I had to think about it hard.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2021, 01:33:47 PM »
Yeah. I never realized how much I liked grill cheese sammitches. My wife does 'em right, w/ the mayo and such.

Have you tried a croque monsieur?  It is a French grilled ham and cheese.

https://www.google.com/search?q=croque+monsieur&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS924US925&sxsrf=ALeKk00rdA-rNo69g_YpYQnxUDckQWc2Uw:1617384786870&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiKr77ti-DvAhW7FlkFHWl0DVoQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1680&bih=945

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2021, 02:08:21 PM »
"Have you tried a croque monsieur?"

Missy Cooper -- What's a crock monster?

And the Croque Madame, which adds a fried sunnyside up egg on top? Holy crap it's good.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2021, 02:13:28 PM »
The banh mi is too broad of a term to call it just one sandwich.  Strictly speaking, bahn mi is the bread, not the sandwich, so I couldn't vote for it even though I do enjoy those sandwiches.

The gyro is a little more specific than the bahn mi since gyro describes how the meat is cooked.  Still, the term is too broad.  Is it a chicken, beef, pork, or lamb gyro?

Pulled pork is a specific sandwich.  I can vote for that, but it isn't a winner for me.  I'd rather have a brisket sandwich.

The BLT is also specific.  I do love a good BLT, but I don't think of it when I want a sammy.

Banh mi is literally "bread" in Vietnamese. But it also means the Vietnamese sandwich. Ask any Vietnamese speaker and they'll tell you the same. 

And yes, it can be with pork, beef, or chicken (I prefer the beef, but they are all good) cooked Vietnamese style with pickled vegetables.

I took it as my favorite Banh Mi. Same with the Gyro (which ought to be made with ground lamb and beef, then sliced after cooking, to be authentic.). Souvlaki didn't make the list, but that would have been another contender.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2021, 02:15:14 PM »
They also left the pork tenderloin sandwich off the list.

That would have been a serious contender for me, as well.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2021, 02:16:07 PM »
Crap. Now I want a Reuben for dinner. With a Po Boy.... and a Croque Monsieur on the side... and a Philly Cheesesteak for dessert.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2021, 02:48:16 PM »
Banh mi is literally "bread" in Vietnamese. But it also means the Vietnamese sandwich. Ask any Vietnamese speaker and they'll tell you the same. 

And yes, it can be with pork, beef, or chicken (I prefer the beef, but they are all good) cooked Vietnamese style with pickled vegetables.

I took it as my favorite Banh Mi. Same with the Gyro (which ought to be made with ground lamb and beef, then sliced after cooking, to be authentic.). Souvlaki didn't make the list, but that would have been another contender.

I interpreted it as Mrs.Hapley's banh mi. It acquitted itself well.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2021, 06:05:03 PM »
Crap. Now I want a Reuben for dinner. With a Po Boy.... and a Croque Monsieur on the side... and a Philly Cheesesteak for dessert.
I think I gained a pound just reading that sentence.  ;)

Just a hint - you don't have to make a Reuben with the traditional Swiss cheese - I found that sliced Havarti from the local supermarket is actually an upgrade.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain