Author Topic: Will China Invade Taiwan?  (Read 2909 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Will China Invade Taiwan?
« on: April 05, 2021, 08:35:05 AM »
I have been reading a lot more stories lately regarding China making some kind of move on Taiwan. More stories than I remember in recent history. I'm wondering if they will attempt, not necessarily a textbook invasion, but some intrusion into Taiwan? Seems like from this and other stories I've been reading lately, they think that they can now get away with stuff like this because they won't get more than a harshly worded letter from the current US administration.

Certainly AFAIK, Biden didn't make the same kind of phone call to Taiwan that Trump did when he first got in.

Admittedly, the Epoch Times has a strong anti-CCP bias, but I have been reading stories similar to this elsewhere as well:

The Chinese communist regime is accelerating its plans to invade Taiwan, an expert warns, as Beijing ratchets up military maneuvers against the island.

Twenty Chinese military aircraft—including four nuclear-capable H-6K bombers, 10 J-16 fighter jets, two Y-8 anti-submarine warfare aircraft, and a KJ-500 airborne early warning and control aircraft—entered Taiwan’s air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on March 26, according to Taiwan’s Ministry of National Defense. It was the largest incursion ever reported by the ministry.

Taiwan’s ADIZ, located adjacent to the island’s territorial airspace, is an area where incoming planes must identify themselves to the island’s air traffic controller.

The incursion caps off a significant increase in hostility by Beijing against Taiwan since 2020. Taiwan’s President Tsai Ing-wen, re-elected last January, has taken a hard line against threats posed by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), while the island has deepened its cooperation with the United States—prompting the regime to escalate its warmongering towards the island.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/beijing-accelerating-timeline-for-possible-invasion-of-taiwan-expert-warns_3759688.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Will China Invade Taiwan?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 09:44:48 AM »
I think Taiwan's days are numbered.  It would not surprise me at all if China makes a serious move against the island during the next four years.  Especially so considering how they have the Biden family in their pockets.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 09:52:40 AM »
^^^ agree ^^^ and the current administration will do nothing about it. 

Russia will eventually finish off Ukraine and likewise will be Biden’s response.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 10:09:49 AM »
Z-man just posted on this subject.

https://thezman.com/wordpress/?p=23394

While it appears we are treaty obliged to protect Taiwan, nobody asked me first  :laugh:

I am opposed to going to war with China over Taiwan.

Intuitively, I feel it isn't going to happen any time soon.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 10:22:40 AM »
Z-man just posted on this subject.

https://thezman.com/wordpress/?p=23394

While it appears we are treaty obliged to protect Taiwan, nobody asked me first  :laugh:

I am opposed to going to war with China over Taiwan.

Intuitively, I feel it isn't going to happen any time soon.

Many people don't know we're obliged under treaty to protect Taiwan.  I don't think it matters;  Ponysoldier President Biden will most likely allow it, as earlier posters suggested.   :mad:

I'm not at all enthusiastic about such a war,  but do we honor our treaties?  If not our word is utterly worthless in the international arena.   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 10:28:58 AM »
. . . I'm not at all enthusiastic about such a war,  but do we honor our treaties?  If not our word is utterly worthless in the international arena.
Diminishing the prestige and honor of the USA in the international arena is probably part of the instructions Manchurian Candidate Biden has received from his Chinese owners. (Sadly, hased on Biden's actions so far, there may actually be an element of truth in this . . .  =( )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 03:31:08 PM »
My concern is we would send a carrier group over for show to be a big target with its hands tied so it couldn't respond. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 03:55:57 PM »
My concern is we would send a carrier group over for show to be a big target with its hands tied so it couldn't respond.

Yep. Put me in charge and if forced to have an international response every SSGN, SSN, CG, and DDG we have empties their tomahawk magazines on night one. B-52s likewise. B-2s, space weapons whatever. If it floats or flies it dies. All the headquarters, all the air defenses. Send word that round two is nuclear. No one effing around limited response.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 09:05:47 PM »
Yep. Put me in charge and if forced to have an international response every SSGN, SSN, CG, and DDG we have empties their tomahawk magazines on night one. B-52s likewise. B-2s, space weapons whatever. If it floats or flies it dies. All the headquarters, all the air defenses. Send word that round two is nuclear. No one effing around limited response.
If you were in charge, they wouldn't attack. 

https://youtu.be/k9DO26O6dIg?t=105
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 11:28:14 PM »
If you were in charge, they wouldn't attack. 

https://youtu.be/k9DO26O6dIg?t=105

Acceptable, but thinking more along the Gary Oldham lines in the Professional.
AKA Navy Joe   

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 02:49:20 AM »
Acceptable, but thinking more along the Gary Oldham lines in the Professional.

That is basically what Trump did to the Putin's mercs in Syria.

It was a parade of curb stompings.  Every damn thing in our arsenal that flies got a turn to play in that death orgy.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 07:22:10 AM »
That is basically what Trump did to the Putin's mercs in Syria.

It was a parade of curb stompings.  Every damn thing in our arsenal that flies got a turn to play in that death orgy.

And we don’t hear much about Wagner taking over Syria now...  Well, to be fair they are all over Syria
AKA Navy Joe   

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 09:11:50 AM »
"Benny, bring me everyone.."
"What do you mean, everyone?
"EVERYWWWOOOOONEEEEE!!!!
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 11:22:54 AM »
A friend of mine has relatives in Taiwan, one of which works for the U.S. gov't.  According to them, the mood is very tense there.  Chinese planes are doing low fly-bys regularly and of course Taiwan's air force is scrambling jets to intercept, ratcheting up the tension and increasing the likelihood of an "incident."

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2021, 10:25:49 AM »

:facepalm: [barf]

WATCH: John Cena begs for China’s forgiveness after he dared to call Taiwan a country
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/05/25/watch-john-cena-begs-for-chinas-forgiveness-after-he-dared-to-call-taiwan-a-country/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2021, 04:05:01 PM »
It is my (only slightly tinfoil) theory that had COVID-19 not escaped a little early China's plan was to arrange a "sorta bad" pandemic in Taiwan alongside their agents causing civil strife.  Then the CCP could slide in as peacekeepers with health resources and a vaccine and just........stay.

Shitty lab protocols messed with the plan a little bit, but the Chinese are nothing if not patient.

I don't think they'll straight up invade, as that opens them up to armed conflict with the west.  They'll orchestrate some crisis that allows them to swoop in with a veneer of acceptability to the rest of the world, spend 5 or 10 years "helping" out the poor Taiwanese, then there will be an "election" that votes to rejoin the mainland.  The west can pay lip service to our treaties, and China get's their lost island and the South China Sea

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2021, 04:51:48 PM »
^^^This has the ring of plausibility to it.  If push comes to shove, there is not going to be Global Thermonuclear War over Taiwan. At least I hope.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2021, 05:46:42 PM »
^^^This has the ring of plausibility to it.  If push comes to shove, there is not going to be Global Thermonuclear War over Taiwan. At least I hope.

Like there would never be a shooting war over a pair of dinky little islands in the South Atlantic, off the coast of Sud America?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2021, 08:35:24 PM »
Like there would never be a shooting war over a pair of dinky little islands in the South Atlantic, off the coast of Sud America?

Assuming you're referencing the Falkland islands?  I read a bit about the political conditions in Argentina that lead them to taking the islands, pretty interesting.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2021, 10:03:49 PM »
I was referring to the Falkland Islands war. And it turned into quite a nasty little war for awhile. Yes, the Argentinian military junta miscalculated rather spectacularly.

There are some interesting stories that came out of that little incident. Like the longest aerial bombing run in history.

Of course, Taiwan doesn't have a big brother backing them up, and China is a bit more of an adversary than Argentina.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2021, 09:44:27 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DVy3D2eglE
Lindybeige did this video about Chile covertly helping out the British with radar coverage and intelligence. 

zahc

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2021, 10:31:46 AM »
Full disclosure, after working closely with Taiwanese for a few years I'm basically a Taiwan fanboy. I think I have more in common with the Taiwanese than many Americans. Granted I'm interacting with the upper crust Taiwanese. Then again I think the whole island of Taiwan is somewhat the upper crust that manged to flee the CCP.

The Taiwanese are so on guard against the Chinese they literally kept COVID out. It's clear that they are/were ALREADY prepared for China to seed a pandemic in Taiwan and they had a level of seriousness about this way before COVID actually got big. It's pretty impressive/scary they live under that level of threat and impressive they are actually prepared for it. Plus they obviously are getting good, unfiltered intel from the mainland that we couldn't hope to get, which is a poor reflection on our intelligence services IMO.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2022, 09:34:20 AM »
It appears that China has been ramping things up in the background of all the other things going on in the world. Even our current administration is concerned.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/china-military-activity-taiwan-threatens-region
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2022, 09:43:28 AM »
Even our current administration is concerned.

Of course they're concerned, been a good 6 months since the Chinese bought a painting and they're starting to get worried. May have to offer them a 2 for 1 sale.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 10:22:41 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2022, 12:08:03 PM »

I find your ideas to be intriguing and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.