Author Topic: New hearing aids...... Wow!  (Read 430 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
New hearing aids...... Wow!
« on: April 05, 2021, 09:13:35 AM »
My old hearing aids were pretty well used up when I contacted the VA about batteries.  They had me come in for a new evaluation and ordered me Phonak in the outer ear aids.  I had done my homework and was able to tell them what features I wanted, which excluded behind the ear aids.  I got them on March 24 and am amazed at what they can do.  I can control them in my ears, with buttons on the aids, or use an app on my Android phone to customize them to my situation.  I can take calls, or make calls through my phone, and play music from my phone in my aids.  I can now hear music, and not have it sound like noise, and can talk with my 8 and 10 year old grand daughters and hear them clearly.  I even had to ask my wife to stop shouting at me, since I can hear her fine now.  I never expected something to work so well.  They are Phonak Virto M 312 for anyone interested.

fifth_column

• friend
Re: New hearing aids...... Wow!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 09:17:02 AM »
That's great news, I'm happy for you. I need a handy excuse to tell my wife to stop shouting at me . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 09:40:43 AM »
Thanks for the information, GS.  I will definitely keep that model in mind.  My wife is pestering me (rightly so) to talk to the VA about hearing aids.  Too much, "What did you say?" and "Huh?" on my part.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 11:17:53 AM »
Do they make any that would allow me to hear music but not what people are saying? Especially politicians and nooz commentators?

My grandfather had one of those hearing aids with a wire to his ear and a receiver he kept in his shirt pocket. He always said he liked it because he could turn it up for Cubs baseball and off when the preacher started asking for money.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 11:36:22 AM »
They sound like the ones that my coworker has. He was career Air Force and spent a lot of time in very loud planes.

He had to jump through all sorts of hoops because he wanted to wear them in the secure facility we work in, and it's a pretty painful process to get them approved.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 12:23:21 PM »
A good friend of mine got his a year or two back. He had the same "Wow" reaction. No idea the brand and such, but they have all the functionality you mentioned. He claims the app for his only works on iPhones. I find that hard to believe given the pretty much equal distributions of Apple and Android-based phones, though I can certainly believe some Apple fanboi technician would make that kind of claim just out of spite.

Dad got his about the same time. We love them because we don't have to shout and repeat ourselves. He hates them because he claims "I can't hear a dang thing because of all the racket". He refuses to go get them retuned, mostly out of stubborness.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 12:32:29 PM »
I think those are what my brother in law got. He loves his.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 09:10:25 PM »
A good friend of mine got his a year or two back. He had the same "Wow" reaction. No idea the brand and such, but they have all the functionality you mentioned. He claims the app for his only works on iPhones. I find that hard to believe given the pretty much equal distributions of Apple and Android-based phones, though I can certainly believe some Apple fanboi technician would make that kind of claim just out of spite.

Dad got his about the same time. We love them because we don't have to shout and repeat ourselves. He hates them because he claims "I can't hear a dang thing because of all the racket". He refuses to go get them retuned, mostly out of stubborness.

Brad

There are ones only tunable through an Iphone, but I made sure I was getting the model that works with Android.  I am not techie at all and would have preferred to not be forced to get techier, but was at the point where I was not hearing a lot that was going on around me and felt disconnected.  I can stream music from my phone via I heart radio, youtube tunes, pandora etc and the volume I play at determines what else I can hear.  Phone calls always interrupt streaming music, but I rarely get phone calls so its not a big deal to me.  If I turn them way down while driving, anything I need to hear, like my phone, or sirens, turns them up automatically.  Sure surprised me to discover that the hard way.