Author Topic: Woke corporatism  (Read 1251 times)

PEfarmer

• friends
Woke corporatism
« on: April 05, 2021, 05:08:57 PM »
With the new Georgia voting regs and all the hue and cry by Coke, Delta, et al., I'm left to wonder yet again, where the hell is this woke corporatism coming from?  Some thoughts I've had:

-The boards of these corps have come up through the "system" of the last couple of decades and they're a leading indicator of the population.  (We're f__ked)

-They've done the math, and there are just more of the woke than there are of the rest of us, and corps are just chasing the money.  (We're f__ked)

-These corps see the writing on the wall and are trying to curry favor with what they see to be the power and glory, all in hopes of being eaten last.  (Not sure who's f__ked, but it probably includes us)

-They're hostage to some outspoken component of their employees.  (We might be a little less f__ked)

This is something I struggle with.  You expect students and journalists to be commies, but why would the very beneficiaries of capitalism jump into this cultural marxist race to oblivion.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Woke corporatism
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 05:27:54 PM »
I have no answer, though I'm somewhat alarmed at how many of the big corps are going full woke, at least on the social media. Most of the "mainstream" corps have always been mostly fence sitters, tossing money to both Rs and Ds as they worked to create profit for their shareholders. Now the shareholders seem to be last in line. They are happily folding to people, many of whom, will never use their product anyway.

The biggest new corps (Google, Apple, Amazon, Facebook, etc) I believe are certainly "hostage" to their employees, and part of that is that their leadership are of the same age/ilk as the woke employees. There was a time no corp would put up with the SJW demands we see practically daily from the employees of big tech. They would have been unceremoniously shown the door.

I don't know why the big non-tech corps are folding so fast and furiously. I'm sure the MSM helps with that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 05:55:16 PM »
I see it as a combination of key factors.

-The largest groups don't necessarily speak the loudest voice. Those voices usually come from zealots, hardcore devotees, and fringe elements. Unfortunately, younger generations have been conditioned to equate louder with larger.

-The silent majority grew up with hardships, learning to accept what they couldn't change with a quiet grace. Unfortunately, this acceptance has morphed into a "we've lost, why bother" mindset. Throw in the predators, the most energetic and least ethical of generations brought up to believe that feelings mean everything, and that their feelings mean more than anyone else's. They're accustomed to demanding change simply because it suits their twisted perceptions, and to get their way when they do. Toss it all into a pot where the predators tend to control more widespread sources of information dissemination, that being social media and online news, and you have the appearance that they are the majority.

-This younger generation also tends to be more possession-oriented. They spend every cent they make on "stuff", buying ridiculous quantities of luxury items and non-essentials. Luxury items and non-essentials tend to have very high profit margins. So, you have a big chunk of the population buying high-margin items in large quantities. That draws companies to the demographic like buzzards to a carcass, making them very receptive to their demands even when those demands may not represent a population majority.

Ultimately we end up where we are now. Corporations just go where the dollars lead. Giving in to the loudest voices because the see those voices has having the deepest pockets. Until the silent majority begins to speak up, fight back, use the shrillsters' tactics against them, and generally bitch-slap the corporations with dollar signs, the corporations will continue to capitulate.

TL:DR version... we're f__ked because our politeness, understanding, and economic thrift were weaponized against us by people who don't give a crap about anyone but themselves.  Corporations simply followed the money, or at least where they perceive the most money is available. The only way to unf__k it is to adopt the tactics of our enemy and beat them at their own game.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 06:14:56 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 07:21:38 PM »
I see it as a combination of key factors.

-The largest groups don't necessarily speak the loudest voice. Those voices usually come from zealots, hardcore devotees, and fringe elements. Unfortunately, younger generations have been conditioned to equate louder with larger.

-The silent majority grew up with hardships, learning to accept what they couldn't change with a quiet grace. Unfortunately, this acceptance has morphed into a "we've lost, why bother" mindset. Throw in the predators, the most energetic and least ethical of generations brought up to believe that feelings mean everything, and that their feelings mean more than anyone else's. They're accustomed to demanding change simply because it suits their twisted perceptions, and to get their way when they do. Toss it all into a pot where the predators tend to control more widespread sources of information dissemination, that being social media and online news, and you have the appearance that they are the majority.

-This younger generation also tends to be more possession-oriented. They spend every cent they make on "stuff", buying ridiculous quantities of luxury items and non-essentials. Luxury items and non-essentials tend to have very high profit margins. So, you have a big chunk of the population buying high-margin items in large quantities. That draws companies to the demographic like buzzards to a carcass, making them very receptive to their demands even when those demands may not represent a population majority.

Ultimately we end up where we are now. Corporations just go where the dollars lead. Giving in to the loudest voices because the see those voices has having the deepest pockets. Until the silent majority begins to speak up, fight back, use the shrillsters' tactics against them, and generally bitch-slap the corporations with dollar signs, the corporations will continue to capitulate.

TL:DR version... we're f__ked because our politeness, understanding, and economic thrift were weaponized against us by people who don't give a crap about anyone but themselves.  Corporations simply followed the money, or at least where they perceive the most money is available. The only way to unf__k it is to adopt the tactics of our enemy and beat them at their own game.

Brad

You're probably right, but their calculus doesn't make sense to me.  Boomers have all the money, and for the most part we're not the ones throwing hissy fits of Wokeism.

Quote from: PEFarmer
-They're hostage to some outspoken component of their employees.  (We might be a little less f__ked)

I don't think that's it.  Big corporations don't give a rat's ass about the employees.  They don't really care that much about the stockholders.  They care about executive bonuses.
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 07:46:28 PM »
Alienating a third of the adult population doesn't seem like a great marketing plan.

I suspect they have been told they have to do it and if it impacts the bottom line too hard they will get free money from the government.

The permanent government hates us.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 08:33:19 PM »
One thing I've learned from woke-ism is that I'm too white to drink Coke products.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 09:02:16 PM »
I think it is partly class.  The class of people that populate the upper levels and board of directors of many of these corps believe in the woke crap.  None of them will stick their nose out and go against the leftist talking points.  Everyone they know agrees with it.  These are generally not the same people that build new companies from the ground up. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 09:45:36 PM »

Boomers have all the money, and for the most part we're not the ones throwing hissy fits of Wokeism.

Agreed on both counts. Best I can come up with is the distinction of net profit. Amortize the two groups' spending and the Boomers spend slightly more, but tends heavily towards infrequent purchases of big ticket items with modest profit margins. Younger generations spend less, but their money goes towards trendy, fashionable, luxury lifestyle products with stratospheric margins and life cycles measured in months, not years.

I also agree with Mech that a lot of people in the upper echelons who've lost track of how the world beyond their corporate walls works.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 11:12:59 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

PEfarmer

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 10:09:36 PM »
I think it is partly class.  The class of people that populate the upper levels and board of directors of many of these corps believe in the woke crap.  None of them will stick their nose out and go against the leftist talking points.  Everyone they know agrees with it.  These are generally not the same people that build new companies from the ground up.

This makes as much sense as most things.  One would think though, as cynical as these corps would/should be, that they would "focus group" the *expletive deleted*it out of these things prior to stepping on fragile anatomy items.  If it's pure profit motive, I can only guess that simply shutting the f__K up would alienate maybe 1% of our side and maybe 10% of the most virulent of their side, leaving everybody else happily buying their *expletive deleted*it.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 10:33:21 PM »
Coordination throughout all industries and government happened organically because they are all of the same class?

It's more likely the world is run on blackmail and extortion. They have to obey and will be rewarded for obeying.

There is nothing organic about the destruction of the country, it's proceeding as planned.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 09:13:09 AM »
I debated whether to start a new thread or not, but it seems like this fits here.  MLB has moved the All Star Game from GA to CO, but ooops, CO has about the same voter laws already on the books that are similar to the ones just passed by GA.

https://dailycaller.com/2021/04/05/major-league-baseball-all-star-game-colorado-georgia/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 09:26:33 AM »
My guess is that we are witnessing a centralized orchestration of social engineering. It's not a secret that a handful of people own pretty much everything, and it's not to far fetched that they would agree on what human society should be like, and try to force it down our throats.  "Wokeness" leads to a dilution of personal, social, racial, national identity which makes it posible for a central global authority to take form and be accepted.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 09:39:17 AM »
Soon wokeness will have it's Disco Demolition Night* moment

*For those not familiar with Disco Demolition Night
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_Demolition_Night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1zN-oLCKo4

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 09:40:56 AM »
My guess is that we are witnessing a centralized orchestration of social engineering. It's not a secret that a handful of people own pretty much everything, and it's not to far fetched that they agree on what society should be like, and try to force it down our throats.  "Wokeness" leads to a dilution of personal, social, racial, national identity which makes it posible for a central global authority to take form and be accepted.

Because I think what Blakenzy said has some validity, a sad tangent: We have always been known as a country filled with not only independent people, but people who always rooted for the underdog. If we saw someone being bullied, we stepped in and worried about why they were being bullied later. If someone told us what to do, we said, "Why?". Now we say, "Yes sir". By "us" and "we" I of course mean the masses. There is certainly still a strong contingent of "us" that will tell them to FRO.

Now we are becoming the opposite of what we were. These woke people don't want to be, or are afraid to be independent of thought and go against the crowd. People no longer root for the underdog, they pile on to the underdog.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 09:46:38 AM »
Now we are becoming the opposite of what we were. These woke people don't want to be, or are afraid to be independent of thought and go against the crowd. People no longer root for the underdog, they pile on to the underdog.

“There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment of the process of life. All competing pleasures will be destroyed. But always— do not forget this, Winston— always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face— forever. ”
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 11:13:32 AM »
A lot of it is the corps. trying to not be the next target of the rage mob. Kinda like a driver honking for the BLM protests so they don’t get a brick through their window. Also the trendy thing in PR, used to be all about the greenwash but now enviros are backseats to the wokerati. And the PR people are products of the colleges fomenting this tripe.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 12:32:46 PM »
A lot of it is the corps. trying to not be the next target of the rage mob. Kinda like a driver honking for the BLM protests so they don’t get a brick through their window. Also the trendy thing in PR, used to be all about the greenwash but now enviros are backseats to the wokerati. And the PR people are products of the colleges fomenting this tripe.

Yet by now they should know that the rage mob is a vocal minority that more often than not does not use their product or service anyway.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 02:31:33 PM »
Yet by now they should know that the rage mob is a vocal minority that more often than not does not use their product or service anyway.

And also learn that it's impossible to be woke enough to appease the SJWs, the SJWs will always found some new woke issue to attack you over. It's  the only reason they get up in the morning afternoon evening
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes