Author Topic: Great weather for projects in the 70's all week  (Read 387 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Great weather for projects in the 70's all week
« on: April 06, 2021, 09:08:19 PM »
I've taken advantage of the good weather to work on some outdoor projects this week.  I've added a commercial topper to my truck and 8 foot trailer and built full back doors on the trailer.  I was trying to add 2 pictures but the system is fighting me as usual.  I love projects and great weather.  I'm anxious to get to Arizona and get to work on our place there.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Great weather for projects in the 70's all week
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 10:47:14 PM »
Starting last Friday morning we cut out all of our bushes and stumps in front of the house, trucked in 9 yards (probably about 10-12) tons of gravel, and built gravel beds with landscape timbers to take the place of the annoying as hell to maintain shrubs that were always unruly. I am very sore but we got done tonight and it looks damn good.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 11:05:13 PM »
Just been doing some general maintenance stuff. Wasn't expecting to mow the yard this weekend, but things were getting a bit unruly, so I went and done it. The new mower started on the second pull. When I moved last spring, I decided it was time to get a new lawnmower, and it happened to have a bagging attachment. Home Depot was selling a Troy-Bilt with a Honda engine, for I think about 2 bills. For whatever reason, I couldn't quite get the bagging feature to work last year, but I figured it out Saturday, and it was nice to have the lawn mowed, w/o all the mess of grass clippings, and tiny bits of leaves, etc.

This week, it's all about cleaning fire extinguisher crud out of the stove.  ;/ The Yorkshire puddings got out of hand on Easter Sunday. Sure enough, the smoke alarms went off just as our company was knocking on the door. Because of course.  :laugh:  We had to give them a rain check.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 11:25:21 PM »
Finally addressing the water drainage issues that have plagued me with repeated flooded basements since we moved into this house.  The previous owner (and builder) fouled up the drainage system over the years, and I'm taking advantage of the great weather to fix the system and get it to work properly.
Getting tired and sore from all the digging of trenches and holes.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 12:04:30 AM »
I've been using the nice weather to fight with involved automotive repair.

I overhauled the transmission in my old truck this winter.  First time I've been into an automatic really, in the past I've just rolled the dice on a random one in the junkyard.  Cheaper and easier really, but some risk involved.  If you pick one from a car that was involved in an accident, you have a pretty good idea that the transmission was working.  =)

Anyway, the overhauled transmission was almost perfect.  The only problem was that sometimes I was getting a slip in overdrive.  The computer could detect this, and would ramp up the hydraulic pressure to maximum in an effort to really smash the clutch packs together hard.  Slippage is very bad for an automatic, and will cause failure in short order.

So it came back apart this week.  I think I've found my problem.  Wear that I overlooked the first time.  This is the forward clutch hub.  On these splines ride the friction disks for the direct clutch.  The little notches that look almost like they are suppose to be there?  Yea, that's wear.  I suspect that they are catching the new friction disks and preventing them from fully and evenly engaging with the mating steel plates.

I really hope this is the problem, this is not an easy or fun transmission to pull and reinstall.

Old part:

For comparison, the new part:

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 06:26:52 AM »
Finally addressing the water drainage issues that have plagued me with repeated flooded basements since we moved into this house.  The previous owner (and builder) fouled up the drainage system over the years, and I'm taking advantage of the great weather to fix the system and get it to work properly.
Getting tired and sore from all the digging of trenches and holes.

We had to do this at my parents house when they built it they put in French drains but not a robust enough drainage system.

We ended up digging the foundation out, using the waterproofing sheets, and backfilling with washed gravel and drain pipes with sock over them and a shitton of washed gravel for the trench to ensure an unobstructed drain area. Worked like a charm.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!