Author Topic: So how do I post a picture?  (Read 514 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
So how do I post a picture?
« on: April 07, 2021, 07:44:23 PM »
I tried and tried to post pictures of my truck and trailer with new shells.  It kept telling me my pictures were too big.  Today I am seeing posts with pictures plenty big.  What am I doing wrong, other than trying to use technology I don't unde?rstand

MechAg94

• friend
Re: So how do I post a picture?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 09:24:49 PM »
For my own pictures I post, I normally resize them in Paint to about 25% of what my phone puts out.  That normally gets it down to something that won't require us to scroll over to see the whole thing.  I use imgur.com as an hosting site. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 10:53:48 PM »
Basically, I just stick them somewhere else on the internet and just hotlink to them.

Imgur is a top favorite.  It's free, no subscription required, and provides share links that already include the forum img tags.  Note, its corporate political policies don't align with the general ethos of this board. 

I do usually resize my pictures down to somewhere in the 1000 pixel neighborhood.

The idea is that my picture is actually hosted on imgurs site, on their hardware.  All I do is make a reference to it in my APS post, so that when any users browser loads my post, it knows to go display an image from imgur.

I've also used Postimage before

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 12:33:37 AM »
I use Imgur as well.

Once I download a picture I select large thumbnail under Sizes and then the BBCode copy button and then paste here.  See below screen shot.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 05:07:27 PM »
I tried and tried to post pictures of my truck and trailer with new shells.  It kept telling me my pictures were too big.  Today I am seeing posts with pictures plenty big.  What am I doing wrong, other than trying to use technology I don't unde?rstand

What they are likely referring to is the "file size" of the photo and not the actual physical dimensions.
If your computer has Microsoft Paint, you can use that to reduce the file size BUT you must save that image with a different or modified name.  Otherwise, the original picture will be replaced and lost forever.
There is also a free image editing program similar to Photoshop that can do multiple modifications.  It is called "GIMP" but it does have a learning curve involved.
Good luck !
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 07:56:29 PM »
FastStone Image Viewer 7.5 Freeware (Last Update: 2020-03-10) https://www.faststone.org/FSIVDownload.htm

FastStone Capture 9.4 Shareware (Last Update: 2020-08-21)
https://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDownload.htm

FastStone Photo Resizer 4.3 Freeware (Last Update: 2019-06-14)
https://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDownload.htm

I have used them for years and swear by them! Very easy to learn to use. Image Viewer has a built in simple editor as well as many useful photo tools.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 09:39:18 PM »
I use Imgur as well.

Once I download a picture I select large thumbnail under Sizes and then the BBCode copy button and then paste here.  See below screen shot.

I usually just right click on the photo and copy the image location.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge