Author Topic: What if the AWB passes?  (Read 1724 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
What if the AWB passes?
« on: April 09, 2021, 05:19:04 PM »
Forget the politics for a minute, and ignore the likely doom to the industry the the Federal protections are eliminated.  Say they put a 10 round limit back on magazines.  What do you think will happen in terms of the handgun industry.  Last time, we saw smaller handguns based around 10 round magazines (Glock 26/27), and there was more focus on the .40 and .45 in larger handguns. 

My thoughts:  with the improvement in 9mm ammo, we can expect more handguns comparable to the SIG P365 and Smith Shield, designed around the 10 round magazines.  MID sized and full sized pistols in .40 and .45 built around 10 round mags will be built, and perhaps increased interest in the 1911, especially with rails, optics, etc.  Also, maybe a renewed interest in revolvers, especially th 7-8 round .357 magnum models. 

Thoughts?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: What if the AWB passes?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 05:29:12 PM »
Plus probably even more tiny .380 pistols.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 05:55:52 PM »
I'll say some renewed interest in 1911s, but also people still buying full-sized pistols, but living with the reduced capacity. Seems to me the mid-sized and micro market has been pretty saturated, even in the time of 19 round full-sized pistols.

I have mid and micro guns. I like them ands shoot them. For carry though, I only use them when I really need to conceal, or for shorts and tshirt weather. Otherwise, I still prefer a full, or at least Commander sized gun for carry. My P365 holds more rounds than my 1911 Commander, but I still carry the 1911 more.

I will say that if Idaho doesn't tell the feds to F off and I have to carry 10 rounds or less in state, I probably wouldn't carry my FNX45 as much. One of the big draws of that one is the 15 rounds of .45ACP. If I'm down to ten, I might as well carry the 1911 with an 8 round Wilson and one in the pipe.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 07:24:34 PM »
Forget the politics for a minute, and ignore the likely doom to the industry the the Federal protections are eliminated.  Say they put a 10 round limit back on magazines.  What do you think will happen in terms of the handgun industry.  Last time, we saw smaller handguns based around 10 round magazines (Glock 26/27), and there was more focus on the .40 and .45 in larger handguns. 

My thoughts:  with the improvement in 9mm ammo, we can expect more handguns comparable to the SIG P365 and Smith Shield, designed around the 10 round magazines.  MID sized and full sized pistols in .40 and .45 built around 10 round mags will be built, and perhaps increased interest in the 1911, especially with rails, optics, etc.  Also, maybe a renewed interest in revolvers, especially th 7-8 round .357 magnum models. 

Thoughts?

Depends on what we get in the way of possible future restrictions.  10 was the mag limit last time.   Suppose it's less.  8?  7?  6?   I might end up carrying my XDS in .45, with its 5 round short mags.  Is the old stuff going to be grandfathered in, or not?  Fixed mags OK, but detachable not?    Military issue cartridges  restricted, like in some other countries?

FWIW, and maybe it's just the silo of stuff I pay attention to, but I am seeing more interest in revolvers lately.  "AFT" manufacturing and sales stats would tell the tale on that.

Shooters will try to optimize the package.  We learned to live with and work around a lot of annoyances, last time around.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 07:34:57 PM »
Jim Crow laws on steroids.

The first NFA was a Jim Crow law. No reason for the demicrats to stop.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 07:52:10 PM »
Citizens have a duty to violate unconstitutional laws.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 07:08:07 AM »
Citizens have a duty to violate unconstitutional laws.

They love to violate the hell out of whatever laws they want with no consequences. Sanctuary cities for illegals, throwing criminals out on the streets, riot, burn loot and murder for months on end...time for us to do the same.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 08:09:20 AM »
Didn't the folks up in Canada just flat out ignore some over the top restrictive gun law (registration?) and the law just quietly went away some years later?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 11:34:29 AM »
So much for setting aside the politics/revolt aspects.  I was curious as to what the firearms industry might do if a 10 round cap on firearms was again put in place. 

Ben, kind of like you, I'll likely leave my existing high cap handguns at home, and stick with my single stack guns for edc. I honestly prefer my single stacks for carry.  Thinner pistols, thinner reloads, etc.  I'm not a fan of the sub compact handguns.  I appreciate the engineering, but just don't shoot them well.  And I might go retro, meaning pull out my revolvers for EDC. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 12:28:46 PM »
So much for setting aside the politics/revolt aspects.  I was curious as to what the firearms industry might do if a 10 round cap on firearms was again put in place. 

Ben, kind of like you, I'll likely leave my existing high cap handguns at home, and stick with my single stack guns for edc. I honestly prefer my single stacks for carry.  Thinner pistols, thinner reloads, etc.  I'm not a fan of the sub compact handguns.  I appreciate the engineering, but just don't shoot them well.  And I might go retro, meaning pull out my revolvers for EDC. 

I like a nice medium frame revolver or something like a midsize to large pistol even if it is lower capacity like a 1911.

The tiny single stacks are great for concealment but for proficient shooting I like something that fits my larger hands well like a 1911 or a GP100 or an L frame Smith. I carried a Ruger Security Six for a long time and it was a handgun I shot very well and was still concealable for me.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 03:10:25 PM »
I try to stay ahead of the curve.  I bought a DB380 two years ago for daily carry.  6 + 1 is all I need.  I sold all my EBR's 8 years ago to avoid that trap and headache.  This is the only forum I post on and make sure I don't post anything inflammatory.  The pendulum always swings.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 03:17:40 PM »
and perhaps increased interest in the 1911, especially with rails, optics, etc.  Also, maybe a renewed interest in revolvers, especially th 7-8 round .357 magnum models. 

Thoughts?

Said for years the AWB in essence brought 1911s back from the grave. Seemed like the variety of 1911 models for sale exploded after 1994.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 03:20:25 PM »

Your question is an irrelevancy* whose only purpose practical effect on reality is to put people into a frame of mind where they have already accepted the infringement on their absolute right to self defense. This is fundamentally self defeating and should be avoided as a psychological/cognitive hazard.

*speculation on industry moves based on speculation of political moves based on propagandized agenda statements. Seems irrelevant.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 04:05:25 PM by kgbsquirrel »

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 03:37:31 PM »
Your question is an irrelevancy whose only purpose is to put people into a frame of mind where they have already accepted the infringement on their absolute right to self defense.

Okay.  Never mind.   Wrote a smart ass response, but I'm not wanting a fight.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2021, 04:00:14 PM »
Okay.  Never mind.   Wrote a smart ass response, but I'm not wanting a fight.

No, you're right, that was way more caustic than the concept I was trying to convey.  I edited it to bring it back in line.  :-[

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2021, 04:01:14 PM »
I just rolled with the thread drift without thinking about the OP  :P
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2021, 04:08:39 PM »
No, you're right, that was way more caustic than the concept I was trying to convey.  I edited it to bring it back in line.  :-[

Thanks.  To be honest, I started the thread after a few drinks just sitting thing "what if" and so I posted.  Truly no politics intended.  Just a brain game wondering how the industry might respond to a new 10 round limit, and how the shooters might adjust/adapt.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2021, 04:13:05 PM »
Didn't the folks up in Canada just flat out ignore some over the top restrictive gun law (registration?) and the law just quietly went away some years later?

I think a lot of "ignoring" comes down to where you live and what risks you are comfortable taking. I suppose, post-ban, some visiting California tech hipster in Boise might see my FNX-45 print in some downtown pub and call the cops. There's a strong chance the Boise cops would ignore the 15 round mag, but you never know when you might get a jackass cop. Much less likely where I live and I would likely ignore the ban in most of this state, and maybe a couple of nearby states.

Not everyone has the luxury. If this passes, were one of the seven remaining conservatives in Portland to go to the gun range with their pre-ban standard capacity mag, there's a good chance somebody would turn them in, and a good chance they wouldn't be let off easy.

I won't fault people living in certain jurisdictions from laying low.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2021, 09:38:28 PM »

The Canadian gun registry barely managed 10% compliance. 

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2021, 09:54:12 PM »

True but the Canadian authorities weren't/aren't as "bat $%!# crazy" as the likes of Bloomberg, Pelosi, Feinstein, etc.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2021, 11:06:09 PM »
True but the Canadian authorities weren't/aren't as "bat $%!# crazy" as the likes of Bloomberg, Pelosi, Feinstein, etc.

Yup,  our government has proven on multiple occasions that they are happily willing to murder dozens of unarmed women and children to enforce their unconstitutional gun laws.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2021, 11:31:50 PM »
That wasn't murder -- it was just "collateral damage."

Yeah, that's what it was.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2021, 02:48:40 AM »
I think a lot of "ignoring" comes down to where you live and what risks you are comfortable taking.
^^^this
Here, it will be noncompliance and nonenforcement
Years ago I hired a 16 year old kid and helped him buy his first.car. Now he is a muscled up 6’3” sheriffs deputy on the SRT (SWAT) team. He has keys and alarm codes for my house and checks on it for us when we are away. I know a lot of local LEO. I can’t see any of them enforcing any confiscation.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2021, 09:00:18 AM »
A lot of it will tend to be regional but if push were to come to shove, I still believe that when given the choice of enforcing an unconstitutional law (gun ban/confiscation) or being unemployed or even arrested themselves the overwhelming majority of sworn law enforcement officers will default to their paychecks and power and happily cinch up the jackboots.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2021, 12:16:51 PM »
A lot of it will tend to be regional but if push were to come to shove, I still believe that when given the choice of enforcing an unconstitutional law (gun ban/confiscation) or being unemployed or even arrested themselves the overwhelming majority of sworn law enforcement officers will default to their paychecks and power and happily cinch up the jackboots.

From what I know personally from my own past, and what I have seen actually take place the past couple of years, I have to agree with Larry; the National Guard, local law enforcement, and the minions of the Federal Government will carry out their orders, some reluctantly, some whole heartedly and some vindictively, depending on their own personalities.