Author Topic: What if the AWB passes?  (Read 1720 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: What if the AWB passes?
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2021, 12:49:07 PM »
I think a lot of LEO's and military personnel will not, but how many does it really take?  If 20% enforce it, that is enough to cause some pretty serious trouble for a lot of people.  Also, if this starts gradually, many of the better LEO's will quit/retire.  Once the issue is in the computer, local feds may come in and complicate things. 

Here in Texas, jurisdictions like Houston might enforce it.  Other areas won't.  There may be a lot of LEO's quietly fail to mention HiCap mags in their reports, etc. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2021, 12:51:14 PM »
Didn't the folks up in Canada just flat out ignore some over the top restrictive gun law (registration?) and the law just quietly went away some years later?
I believe New York State had the vast majority fail to comply as well.  I think they had an AWB registration. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2021, 12:54:39 PM »
On the OP, I think we would see some new polymer carry pistols designed around the 10 round limit no matter what caliber.  We see that more or less with the micro-9 pistols with S&W and Ruger getting into things recently.  You might see the same thing with 40 and 45 or maybe 10mm.  Those would be bigger certainly, but it might be interesting to see.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2021, 01:45:34 PM »
I am not sure I want to open the Pandora's box of having the individual PFC Jones and Patrolman Vasquez making their own individual decisions on whether a particular legal decision or order is illegal or unconstitutional and if to follow it or not.  This might be somewhat easier in a wartime environment or under the UCMJ, but in a civil governmental setting with the government and the courts saying it is legal and constitutional?  The next step down that road is individuals  deciding of their own accord that the legal decisions and orders that protect you are illegal or unconstitutional, and PFC Jones and Patrolman Vasquez are loading you on the train to the detention camps.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2021, 08:15:00 PM »
I am not sure I want to open the Pandora's box of having the individual PFC Jones and Patrolman Vasquez making their own individual decisions on whether a particular legal decision or order is illegal or unconstitutional and if to follow it or not.  This might be somewhat easier in a wartime environment or under the UCMJ, but in a civil governmental setting with the government and the courts saying it is legal and constitutional?  The next step down that road is individuals  deciding of their own accord that the legal decisions and orders that protect you are illegal or unconstitutional, and PFC Jones and Patrolman Vasquez are loading you on the train to the detention camps.

Pretty sure that loading people onto trains is what happens when the PFC and SPC do NOT think for themselves, exactly like you are suggesting.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2021, 08:53:23 PM »
Pretty sure that loading people onto trains is what happens when the PFC and SPC do NOT think for themselves, exactly like you are suggesting.

The problem is that when PFC Jones and Patrolman Vasquez start making their own decisions about what's a constitutional law and what isn't, it can go either way. At that point, we no longer have a nation of laws, we have a nation of whims. The word for that is "anarchy."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2021, 09:31:09 PM »
We don't have a nation of laws .  We mostly avert our eyes and pretend otherwise, but the truth is staring us in the face.   There is a set of rules for the dirt people, and an infinite set of exemptions for the New Lords.

The only time the New Lords ever face consequences is when they mess with other New Lords of a higher status.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2021, 09:00:59 AM »
Regarding some LEO just defaulting to "doing their jobs", I saw this quote from a traffic stop incident making the news. A couple of VA cops did a traffic stop on a military officer. A quote from one of the officers:

The officers approach the SUV, and Nazario says, "I'm serving this country, and this is how I'm treated?" Gutierrez responds that he is a veteran and "learned to obey."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/11/us/windsor-virginia-police-stop-army-lieutenant-lawsuit/index.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2021, 09:44:26 AM »
Regarding some LEO just defaulting to "doing their jobs", I saw this quote from a traffic stop incident making the news. A couple of VA cops did a traffic stop on a military officer. A quote from one of the officers:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/11/us/windsor-virginia-police-stop-army-lieutenant-lawsuit/index.html
That incident sucks.  I hope the guy gets a lot of money. 

However, I don't think those two cops represent all cops.  Neither are all cops wonderful people who will abide by the Constitution.  It will be somewhere in the middle. 

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2021, 10:02:24 AM »
Wife, children, family, career, access to credit or existing high levels of debt, peer pressure, being seen as the enemy by those who you've sworn to serve and protect, the letter of the law giving cover to actions that violate historic principles, promotions and raises for obedience, bigger budgets, fear of skeletons in your closet being revealed ...

There are a lot of areas of leverage being applied or that can be applied to the police.

If oppressive laws are passed and the courts uphold them we're in big trouble.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2021, 10:13:53 AM »
However, I don't think those two cops represent all cops.  Neither are all cops wonderful people who will abide by the Constitution.  It will be somewhere in the middle.

It only has to represent enough for this to turn into a *expletive deleted*it storm
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2021, 10:21:31 AM »
Like now, it will probably be a regional thing.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2021, 09:50:54 PM »
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/traffic-stop-army-officer-sparks-nationwide-controversy/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20210416_FridayDigest_326&utm_campaign=/digest/traffic-stop-army-officer-sparks-nationwide-controversy/

I came here to post this and I noticed I already commented on it and still don't remember seeing this before.  This link has badge video.  Might be mistakes on both sides, but the police carried the "you will comply" stuff a bit further than I would expect. 

I have to admit if I had officers with guns drawn on me, I think my first instinct would be to freeze with hands visible and do nothing.  Seen too many cases where people are shot due to "furtive movement" and everyone says it was a good shoot.  I would also say to state you will comply but you want to do so carefully and then narrate your movements.  Don't do that until after they get close enough to see what your doing and here you.  Of course, if they don't stop yelling, I am not sure what I would do.  In many of these videos, I can't tell what the officers are yelling right away and they often yell different and conflicting commands. 

If you want to drive a little further down the road for a better place to stop, it might help to turn on the interior light and roll windows down if the speed is low enough.