Author Topic: Preparing For the Derek Chauvin Verdict  (Read 12420 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Preparing For the Derek Chauvin Verdict
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2021, 06:26:51 PM »
I don't understand how you can get 3 different convictions for a variety of manslaughter/murder allegations, with a single death.

Hell, even stacking trespassing, littering, gun possession and other fluff on a homicide seems like prosecutorial misconduct to me.  But I'm one of those damn anarchists.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2021, 06:28:25 PM »
How is that even possible?  Murder 3 and murder 2 had mutually exclusive elements.  Abortion of justice.

I'm with you and everyone else who is wondering this. I can't agree with, but can see why the prosecution threw all three charges at him hoping the jury would pick one.

IANAL, but this does not seem like justice, no matter who it is. When it's something like "murder" + "use of a firearm in a murder", I again may not agree with the two charges, but can see why and how someone could be guilty of both of those. But 2nd degree, 3rd degree, and manslaughter? Make up your mind. There is something inherently unjust with this. Something I would expect in a third world kangaroo court. Again, IANAL, I'm just speaking from a layman's perspective of justice.

EDIT: AZ posted similar thoughts while I was typing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2021, 06:30:16 PM »
In a sane world this would be easy to overturn on appeal. And then there would be no way to get an unbiased jury for retrial. These dems want cities to burn and don't care.

This isn't a sane world so I'm wouldn't even put five bucks on anything related to this.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2021, 06:32:24 PM »
Justice had nothing to do with it, it was all to appease the mob. it remains to be seen whether or not they were successful.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2021, 06:48:53 PM »
The left can do whatever they want without consequences.

Apparently they are secure enough in their control of pretty much every institution that they are now going to go to the next level, as well as trash talk us and flaunt it in our faces.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 07:04:32 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2021, 07:11:43 PM »
On to the next show trial

Tamika Palmer
@TamikaPalmer911
Today justice has been served but we are not fighting for justice for all of the victims and families for haven’t received theirs 💯

This isn’t over

#BreonnaTaylor #AhmaudArbery #AdamToledo #JacobBlake #DaunteWright #SeanMonterrosa
5:54 PM · Apr 20, 2021
‘Thank you God’: Breonna Taylor’s family reacts to Chauvin guilty verdict
https://www.wave3.com/2021/04/20/thank-you-god-breonna-taylors-mother-reacts-chauvin-guilty-verdict/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2021, 07:14:16 PM »
The years 2020/2021 are how the USA shows everyone that we have fair and free elections and courts that apply real justice.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2021, 09:13:19 PM »
I heard someone say the other day they should have shoved Floyd in the car and left him there until paramedics arrived.  If he had died in the back of the squad car with no one touching him, we wouldn't be here.  Just another OD. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2021, 09:17:18 PM »
Truth be told, the jury found him guilty of everything out of self defense.  Anything less than that, they risk the lives of themselves and family as well as their homes, jobs and any semblance of an ordinary life.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2021, 09:53:53 PM »
Truth be told, the jury found him guilty of everything out of self defense.  Anything less than that, they risk the lives of themselves and family as well as their homes, jobs and any semblance of an ordinary life.

Just came here to say this.

There's a very real chance that BLM would kill them if the verdict was not guilty.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2021, 10:00:08 PM »
And he’s guilty on all counts. Won’t last long in prison I’d expect

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2021, 10:05:12 PM »
Just came here to say this.

There's a very real chance that BLM would kill them if the verdict was not guilty.

Hell, probably a better than even chance they'll kill 'em anyway.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2021, 10:18:40 PM »
Justice had nothing to do with it, it was all to appease the mob. it remains to be seen whether or not they were successful.

WINNER !
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2021, 11:06:34 PM »
Meanwhile in Chicago

Year to Date
Shot & Killed: 171
Shot & Wounded: 769
Total Shot: 940
Total Homicides: 183

2021 Police-involved Shootings
Killed 3   Wounded 5

https://heyjackass.com/
- Calvin and Hobbes

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2021, 01:13:11 AM »

exactly
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2021, 02:30:44 AM »
Then who takes your place? Will they be as fair and as committed to justice as you are? Will they be one of the collaborationist, commie pukes that buys into the anti-police narrative? Will they be a well-meaning American, but unlike you, can be duped or intimidated into voting the wrong way on the jury?

It's no picnic, I know, but we need people like you on our juries, especially for cases like this.

I'm with Ben, no way I would get sucked into an politically charged case like this (or the upcoming one from Chicago).

The judicial process is too far gone that a couple honest folks participating will help.  *expletive deleted*ck 'em. Stay far, far away.   FWIW, I came to this conclusion back around Zimmerman's trial.  Trials are just public spectacles for the mob now, and I'll not risk being caught in that circus.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2021, 03:18:18 AM »
If a case with this level of notoriety came up locally and I got the misfortune of being summoned for jury duty I’d do everything possible to get eliminated from the jury pool.  Thankfully being an engineer is usually enough on its own.  But, bringing my copy of “Crime and Punishment” to read while waiting should seal the deal.  Too bad I don’t have the Molon Labe hat anymore.

Not because I don’t want to do my civic duty.  But because I don’t want to risk the lives and safety of my family over participating in such a circus.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2021, 08:54:34 AM »
I think the odds of me getting picked for jury duty at all are pretty slim, but I can't say I would run away from it.  I think I live in a place where the total event is unlikely at least right now.  I guess a federal jury pool might still take me into Houston.  Much more likely there if anywhere.

If I were on the jury pool, I would hope I would do the right thing as I saw it.  I would not want to go through the rest of my life lamenting a bad decision or that I avoided doing what I thought was right because I was afraid.  At least, that is what I say now with no kids to worry about.  Never been faced with active threats like that myself. 

Either way, engineer, gun owner, LTC license holder, etc.  If they ask me a bunch of questions, I doubt I would get selected. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2021, 09:06:46 AM »
I was called for jury duty right before the lockdown.

There haven't been any jury trials in the county since, last I checked.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2021, 09:39:31 AM »
If I was called to be a juror in a high profile circus like this... I really don't know.  If you asked me when I was younger and a little more idealistic, I'd have said it's my duty as a citizen to participate in the justice system as a juror and that justice needs to be served even in high profile cases.

But today, in a case like this?  Yikes.  I don't want to be looking over my back the rest of my life, however long that is.  I'm somewhere between Ben's position and simply refusing to participate and eating the contempt of court charges for it.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2021, 10:07:08 AM »
Feds opening an civil investigation on the MPD to honor George Floyd

Live press conference now, you can rewind it if need be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npoUWqMprGk
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2021, 10:11:37 AM »
Anyone want to bet the murder rate in the USA continues to spiral upwards, with police refusing to confront criminals?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2021, 10:13:12 AM »
Now the live feed is Leahy going on about how racist America is
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2021, 10:15:09 AM »
WTF? The patent system is racist???
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2021, 10:16:31 AM »
Are we now suppose to issue patents based on race????
- Calvin and Hobbes