Author Topic: Small engine (ATV) carb issue, question  (Read 360 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Small engine (ATV) carb issue, question
« on: April 14, 2021, 09:56:56 AM »
Question for those with knowledge of such mysteries...
Can a split vacuumed line cause this issue?
2000 Honda rancher. Starts and runs great, throttle response everything excellent, but fuel is pouring out of the carb overflow tube from bottom of carb bowl. I pulled the carb and was going to clean float bowl and needle valve, check diaphragm etc, but after I got it out I found a 3/8" long split in a vac line at a Y fitting. I rebuilt this OEM carb with a kit <2 years ago and have no issues until now. It leaks a lot less at higher RPMs but at idle it really runs out.
If I pull the bowl and float I will probably have to get another kit just for the gasket. If it was running crappy or flooding the engine (it isn't) I would just go through the whole rebuild again.
I'm having trouble finding the right size vac tubing and getting carb on and off is a pain but if there is a good chance the vac line is the whole issue I would skip the internals.
Thanks
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Small engine (ATV) carb issue, question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 10:06:42 AM »
While possible, I doubt a leaking vacuum line fitting is going to cause a catastrophic leak out the overflow. If it's pissing gas out the overflow tube it's most likely a sticking needle/seat assembly or a failed float. Oxygenated fuels are death to needle seats and floats in small engine carbs are notoriously fragile so it's 50/50 which one is likely the culprit. Either way it's probably time to rebuild the carb.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 10:57:44 AM »
I have never used ethanol fuel blend in it or any of my other small engines.
Might as well order a kit and fix the vac tube and do it all. Maybe if I’m lucky it’s just some crud that I can flush.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 11:10:58 AM »
I had a similar problem on my KLR several years ago, The tank vent line was hooked up to the carb vent line and started a siphon, that kept draining the carb. Ended up pulling the whole factory lines out and running two separate vents.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

2nd_to_one

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 01:23:24 PM »
Before you go to the trouble of pulling and tearing down the carb, have you tried pinching off (or turning off) the fuel and running the carb dry? Sometimes if the issue is just a piece of crud blocking the float needle from seating you can flush it out this way.

Steve

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 03:42:54 PM »
Before you go to the trouble of pulling and tearing down the carb, have you tried pinching off (or turning off) the fuel and running the carb dry? Sometimes if the issue is just a piece of crud blocking the float needle from seating you can flush it out this way.

Steve
Had already pulled the carb when I found the split. I have been shutting off the fuel line to keep from dumping all the gas on the ground but didn’t run it completely dry.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 04:35:03 PM »
Probably a stuck needle valve, worn needle/seat, or failed float in the bowl.

float could be out of adjustment, but doubt that, I always measure just to be safe.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536