Author Topic: Printer question  (Read 381 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Printer question
« on: April 14, 2021, 07:53:03 PM »
I have an H-P laser multi-function printer connected to my desktop computer by USB. I'd like to change it over to a network printer so I can access it from my notebook and tablet. I have a switch sitting right next to it with open ports, so connecting the printer to the LAN physically is not a problem.

Before I start this process, do I need to UNinstall the USB printer before I begin setting it up as a network printer?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jim147

• friends
Re: Printer question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 08:08:01 PM »
I would try that first. Might not help mine always get confused if it is network or a stand alone on the desktop.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Printer question
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 09:18:29 PM »
I have an H-P laser multi-function printer connected to my desktop computer by USB. I'd like to change it over to a network printer so I can access it from my notebook and tablet. I have a switch sitting right next to it with open ports, so connecting the printer to the LAN physically is not a problem.

Before I start this process, do I need to UNinstall the USB printer before I begin setting it up as a network printer?

Shouldn't have to.  In the Windows control panel, devices and printers, printer properties, set up a TCP/IP port to print to, and select that instead of the USB port.

Scratch that.  Unless you set the printer to a static IP, you're probably better off disconnecting it, uninstalling the software, rebooting, then reinstalling the print driver.  Use whatever version of the installer is current at HP's website.

BTW, you might want to grab a copy of HP's Print and Scan Doctor.  It irons out problems with HP multifunction printer connections pretty well.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 08:05:10 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.