Author Topic: Police Searching for Man Who Popped Bubble Wrap  (Read 1085 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Police Searching for Man Who Popped Bubble Wrap
« on: April 16, 2021, 09:18:00 AM »
It was part of an art exhibit.   =D
https://www.newser.com/story/304202/police-searching-for-man-who-popped-bubble-wrap.html

Police in Vancouver are asking for tips from the public as they work to track down the unidentified man shown in a video damaging a piece of art at the Vancouver Art Gallery, the Vancouver Sun reports. The piece, titled “Delta Trim,” is crafted from moose hide, Velcro, zip ties, reflective tape, and bubble wrap.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7720639/vancouver-art-gallery-damaged/
This has a picture of the "art".  I really don't know why popping the bubble wrap changed it substantially. 

“It is very upsetting to see the blatant disregard towards the artist’s time, energy and creative expression that it took to create this piece of art,” Vancouver police spokesperson Const. Tania Visintin said.
:laugh: :laugh:

[Opinion]This looks like something they whipped up in a few minutes because the exhibit was the next day and they didn't have anything to show.  Many modern artists seem to be con artists who use art psychobabble to con rich people out of their money. [Opinion]
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
Re: Police Searching for Man Who Popped Bubble Wrap
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 10:19:30 AM »
Hell, it ain't even hand stitched!

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 10:29:54 AM »
Maybe it's the same guy that ate the banana.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 10:42:34 AM »
I doubt that was destined to be an enduring piece of art, but damaging private property isn't cool.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 10:48:04 AM »
I doubt that was destined to be an enduring piece of art, but damaging private property isn't cool.
True, but it is freaking bubble wrap.  Popping it should have been part of the display.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 01:04:30 PM »
As an art major when I was an undergraduate, I cry when I see what is considered "art" today. Much of the problem is that critics don't have the gumption to look at this dreck and call it out as dreck.

This exhibit should perhaps be named "Dumpster Diving Art."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 01:16:25 PM »
This was the funniest part:
Police say the cost to repair the damage could be as high as $6,500.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 01:58:22 PM »
This was the funniest part:

And to think I just throw the stuff away.

After popping it of course
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 03:13:46 PM »
As an art major when I was an undergraduate, I cry when I see what is considered "art" today. Much of the problem is that critics don't have the gumption to look at this dreck and call it out as dreck.

This exhibit should perhaps be named "Dumpster Diving Art."
When I was an undergrad we had a wacky guy running the college's "Institute of Design" by the name of Cosmo Campoli. He once had his "students" put together so-called "art" for display in the student union building.

They had to put SIGNS on parts of the exhibits identifying them as "art" since overnight, they caught the custodial staff doing their job and removing it as trash.  :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 05:55:39 PM »
If you make art that looks like something else don't be surprised when someone decides to alter you conception of art (another's trash).

https://apnews.com/article/south-korea-painting-seoul-44d650e282c0a01303a308b2a5d33156

bob

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 07:06:20 PM »

[Opinion].  Many modern artists seem to be are con artists who use art psychobabble to con rich people out of their money. [Opinion]

You're far too generous.

"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 09:13:18 PM »
I thought Pop Art was an actual genre.

Guess not.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 10:36:28 PM »
If you make art that looks like something else don't be surprised when someone decides to alter you conception of art (another's trash).

https://apnews.com/article/south-korea-painting-seoul-44d650e282c0a01303a308b2a5d33156

bob
You just don't understand.   :O

The artist behind the piece, Maureen Gruben, tells the Globe and Mail that it is inspired by a parka owned by her late mother. “It speaks about the memory of love and care from your mother,” the Indigenous artist says. “That’s what Inuit women do for their children, out of necessity but also out of love.”
Just look at the picture.  I challenge you to see it as anything other than a genuine Inuit parka (whatever that is). 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1zJzr-kWsI

=)  ;)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 11:28:52 PM »
HONK HONK

“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2021, 03:53:09 PM »
The artist behind the piece, Maureen Gruben, tells the Globe and Mail that it is inspired by a parka owned by her late mother. “It speaks about the memory of love and care from your mother,” the Indigenous artist says. “That’s what Inuit women do for their children, out of necessity but also out of love.”

No, it doesn't speak to that at all. That's why it's not art. It says nothing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife