Author Topic: Texas is Going for Permitless Carry  (Read 9948 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Texas is Going for Permitless Carry
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2021, 11:45:59 PM »
For our Texas members: Are all y'all gonna roll wild west pimp style?

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/04/21/texas-legislator-says-constitutional-carry-bill-will-let-non-felons-walk-around-wild-west-pimp-style/
I wonder who this pimp is that thumbs his nose at laws against prostitution, but scrupulously follows gun laws and won't carry without a permit?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2021, 08:31:11 AM »
I wonder who this pimp is that thumbs his nose at laws against prostitution, but scrupulously follows gun laws and won't carry without a permit?

You're avoiding the question. Are YOU going to pimp out?

https://youtu.be/yRIVzA27lA0?t=36

=D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2021, 08:56:01 AM »
You're avoiding the question. Are YOU going to pimp out?

https://youtu.be/yRIVzA27lA0?t=36

=D
Sure.  Just picture someone who would look nerdier than Kramer.  Everyone wants to see that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2021, 10:41:52 AM »
We already have permitless carry in my state, but I've been leaving my stable of girls at home, silly me. I'll have to correct that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2021, 10:58:14 AM »
We already have permitless carry in my state, but I've been leaving my stable of girls at home, silly me. I'll have to correct that.
These days not having a gun on me is like not wearing my seatbelt.  I notice it and feel like I am missing something.  Still can't wear it at work.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2021, 11:10:46 AM »
These days not having a gun on me is like not wearing my seatbelt.  I notice it and feel like I am missing something.  Still can't wear it at work.

I try to always carry here, and I'm always amused that the state where I can carry most anywhere is a state where the need to carry is pretty low (which, armed, polite society, hey?).

Now I have to go to CA again this weekend, where there is a much, much greater probability of needing a weapon on me, and I get irritated at both what I can take with me and how I can take it with me.

I was thinking a few days ago that if the Chauvin verdict went the other way, I would say FU to CA, and at the very least be taking my FNX45 with the 15 rounds of .45, and maybe even an evil EBR with some evil standard capacity mags. Having to drive through Sacramento and Fresno on my way, I think the possibility of potential trouble would have been high enough that the slim chance of "getting caught" with the guns would be worth the legal hassles, compared to being Reginal Denny'd at some freeway blockade somewhere.

As it is, I'll be taking a 1911 and some mags this time, using the "California carry" method of unloaded gun and loaded mags in a combo lockbox with the combo one number off of "open".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2021, 11:11:48 AM »
Iowa beats Texas...

Football and firearm rights.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2021, 12:44:29 PM »
Iowa beats Texas...

Football and firearm rights.
Fine by me.  I didn't go to the community college in Austin.   :laugh:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2021, 02:25:29 PM »
Fine by me.  I didn't go to the community college in Austin.   :laugh:

A&M should of stayed in the Big 12.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2021, 04:01:48 PM »

I always take my gun. I was talking about my stable of girls.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2021, 04:58:26 PM »
My little ponies?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2021, 06:42:24 PM »
A&M should of stayed in the Big 12.
Hell no.  The SEC fits A&M much better.  Should have made that move when the SWC fell apart.  The Big 12 started going downhill when Nebraska left. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2021, 09:08:35 PM »
Got this email from my GOA Texas Rep.  Sounds like some political games afoot.  We will see where it ends up.
The Texas House passed a strong Constitutional Carry bill (HB 1927) a week ago in a decisive 87-58 bipartisan vote.

But instead of immediately moving HB 1927 forward in the Senate, Lt. Governor Patrick secured the votes Thursday to suspend the rules and file his own poison pill version of Constitutional Carry, SB 2224 – over a month past the filing deadline.

SB 2224 is confusing and complicated. It creates profiling regulations that will burden law-abiding gun owners.

This is an insult to everyone who worked so hard to get Constitutional Carry over the finish line in the House. We cannot support SB 2224 with its poison pills. And we cannot condone a process that starts all over from the beginning with a new bill.

But here's some more important news: The Lt. Governor has created a new Senate committee, the Special Committee on Constitutional Issues.  The commmittee membership is very favorable to Constitutional Carry. HB 1927 has been referred to this committee, and we expect it to have a hearing next week.

We encourage this committee to focus on moving HB 1927 forward as the most efficient path to passing Constitutional Carry in Texas. Time is ticking down, and there is no need to waste time sending a new bill to the House when the House has already done the heavy lifting to pass a strong bill.

We call on Lt. Gov. Patrick to use his position to secure the necessary votes and pass HB 1927 in the Senate without delay.

HB  1927 is a true Constitutional Carry bill because it restores firearms carry freedoms and ensures that law-abiding Texans have the protection of law.
I was pleasantly surprised to see a similar email this morning from the Texas Republican Party.  It mentioned that they special committee that the original bill was put in was done in response to public comment in support of the bill.  I have generally ignored emails and mailers from them.  Might have to pay more attention if they are actually supporting gun rights bills.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 11:02:06 AM by MechAg94 »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2021, 10:01:32 PM »
Hell no.  The SEC fits A&M much better.  Should have made that move when the SWC fell apart.  The Big 12 started going downhill when Nebraska left.

Tex-ass and their Longhorn Network is was caused it all. I wish they would of booted Texas when the talks of a Big 12 network and Texas poo poo it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2021, 11:08:30 AM »
Tex-ass and their Longhorn Network is was caused it all. I wish they would of booted Texas when the talks of a Big 12 network and Texas poo poo it.
I remember hearing scuttlebutt that the guy who set up the Big Ten Network worked for the Big 12 and wanted to set up a Big 12 network.  It was shot down and he left to go to the Big Ten.  Later it came out that UofTexas was already talking to ESPN about a school network.  At this time, the TV contract for the Big 12 was not very good and it was not split evenly between the schools.  It is still that way I think.  Texas gets richer and the rest of the Big 12 lags behind.

When A&M left to join the SEC and the SEC renegotiated their TV deal, A&M revenue went up considerably and money is split evenly I believe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2021, 11:23:02 AM »
I try to always carry here, and I'm always amused that the state where I can carry most anywhere is a state where the need to carry is pretty low (which, armed, polite society, hey?).

Now I have to go to CA again this weekend, where there is a much, much greater probability of needing a weapon on me, and I get irritated at both what I can take with me and how I can take it with me.

I was thinking a few days ago that if the Chauvin verdict went the other way, I would say FU to CA, and at the very least be taking my FNX45 with the 15 rounds of .45, and maybe even an evil EBR with some evil standard capacity mags. Having to drive through Sacramento and Fresno on my way, I think the possibility of potential trouble would have been high enough that the slim chance of "getting caught" with the guns would be worth the legal hassles, compared to being Reginal Denny'd at some freeway blockade somewhere.

As it is, I'll be taking a 1911 and some mags this time, using the "California carry" method of unloaded gun and loaded mags in a combo lockbox with the combo one number off of "open".
Crime is not particularly bad where I am, but I still carry as much as I can even out on walks.  I do occasionally go into Houston and there crime is getting worse from what I hear.  The Democrat judges there have been letting violent criminals go on personal recognizance bonds in the last year or two.  There are some high profile cases of some of those killing people within days of being released. 

My brother lives in a suburb of Houston and jogs a lot.  I have given him small knives for b-day and Christmas gifts the last few years.  This year he asked for something with a small clip he can wear jogging. 
I got him one of these as at least part of his gift this year.  We will see how well it works.
https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/knives/all-knives/ghostrike-fixed-blade-30-001005
I came across a number of videos of EDC knives and such.  Saw a few different knives I want. 
https://bradfordknives.com/guardian-3/506-9120-3d-guardian-3-3v-steel.html?mc_cid=f5cf7b3fbb&mc_eid=e0164d1401#/2-fastener_type-tumbled/3-handle_color-od_green/20-blade_finish-stonewash/21-blade_grind-false_edge
The sheath on this one is set up to sit sideways on the belt. 

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2021, 08:31:16 PM »
The full Texas Senate could consider House Bill 1927 as early as Wednesday, May 5 after it was approved by a newly formed, special committee on Constitutional Issues.

Gov. Greg Abbott Confident Legislature Will Pass Constitutional Carry Bill: "I Think It Can Get Across The Finish Line"
https://news.yahoo.com/gov-greg-abbott-confident-legislature-224200673.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2021, 08:54:04 AM »
There is a possibility it could happen this week.  I have emailed my state senator.  I tried to call yesterday and got a busy signal.  I am getting emails from the GOA, TSRA, and NRA all asking me to contact my representatives. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2021, 08:35:21 PM »
Looks like the constitutional carry bill passed the Texas senate.  The TSRA email said it was not the same as the house bill so I don't know what changed yet. I haven't see a GOA email so I don't know what was changed. 

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2021, 12:29:55 AM »
Missouri is now constitutional, however, due to the local politicians being serious cop haters, the general mantra among pretty much everyone but my progressive neighbors is...

Stay strapped, or get clapped.

South City
Tower Grove South
Closest Body last year? 75 yards
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2021, 04:17:49 PM »
Looks like the constitutional carry bill passed the Texas senate.  The TSRA email said it was not the same as the house bill so I don't know what changed yet. I haven't see a GOA email so I don't know what was changed.

Texas Senate Passes Constitutional Carry Bill, But There’s More Work to be Done
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/texas-senate-passes-constitutional-carry-bill-but-more-theres-more-work-to-be-done/

Getting all 18 GOP votes required some changes from the House bill.

The Sheriffs’ Association of Texas signaled tepid support on Wednesday when they sent a letter to Schwertner that outlined three key areas of the bill that required “critical, must-have clarifications and amendments.” Those tweaks, offered by Schwertner on the floor, strike from the bill a provision that would’ve expunged certain weapons-related charges on Texans’ criminal records, allow law enforcement officers to temporarily disarm a person who is detained and temporarily strip the permitless carry rights of people accused of certain violent crimes.

Matt Schaefer
@RepMattSchaefer
No celebration yet folks! We are now reviewing amendments that were added by the Senate to look for issues that would break House rules governing the purpose of HB 1927. Our first impression has us very concerned. Will share more as soon as we can. #txlege #2A #HB1927
Matt Schaefer
@RepMattSchaefer
Adding a non-germane amendment to HB 1927 in the Senate will cause a significant procedural delay. Let’s send constitutional carry to the Governor’s desk soon! #ConstitutionalCarry #2A #HB1927
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2021, 05:22:59 PM »
Update

BREAKING: Texas Legislature Conference Committee Reaches Agreement on Constitutional Carry Bill
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/breaking-texas-legislature-conference-committee-reaches-agreement-on-constitutional-carry-bill/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2021, 06:14:56 PM »
If you have lots, and lots, and LOTS of time, here's the full history.

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Text.aspx?LegSess=87R&Bill=HB1927

What I love are the host of "Amendment Fails" notifications. Keep it simple and block attempts to sneak in extraneous crap (which I understand was tried several times).

Brad
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 11:30:36 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2021, 10:23:21 PM »
Anyone know when passage is likely to happen? I want to be prepared for the wailing of Lefties, who will behave as though this has never been tried before.  ;/

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2021, 11:24:26 PM »
Don't know for sure, but one of the talk shows I listen to said sometime this week, probably early in the week (Wed or sooner).

Got my permission slip, but this law will help a couple people I know.