Author Topic: Texas is Going for Permitless Carry  (Read 9956 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Texas is Going for Permitless Carry
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2021, 09:08:17 AM »
https://www.ammoland.com/2021/05/tx-rep-schaefer-conference-committee-reaches-agreement-on-constitutional-carry/#axzz6vms6BtAD

This article says it will be presented to the House and Senate today or tomorrow.  Not sure if that is when they will vote or not. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2021, 09:10:02 AM »
So is it going to be a good thing, or did they get some "poison pills" in it?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2021, 09:23:04 AM »
I got an email from TSRA yesterday with a link to the conference report.  That email said it appears to be okay.  They expected action on it today or tomorrow.

I don't know how many of my R representatives really like this law, but voting for this and getting it passed, gives a lot of people a reason to vote FOR them rather than just against the Dems.  I hope they remember that. 

Conference Report.  PDF.
https://lrl.texas.gov/scanned/87ccrs/hb1927.pdf#navpanes=0
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2021, 09:33:08 AM »
Hopefully it will get through. We tried for it here in SC last legislative season but didn’t work out but we did get open carry and they eliminated the government fees for applying and renewal plus we are now a 2nd Amendment sanctuary state (for what good that does)
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2021, 09:42:25 AM »
Another email said it has passed the State House again.  Just the Senate to go. 

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2021, 10:27:47 AM »
So is it going to be a good thing, or did they get some "poison pills" in it?

In glancing through some of he attempted amendments, it appears the hand-wringing crowd tried their level best - trying to define "mass shooting", getting PoC-specific considerations (PoC=People of Color), non-conviction limitations, Red Flag items, etc. From what I saw, most of it was defeated. Didn't see anything Assault Weapon-ey, but I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2021, 08:01:43 PM »
I got an email this afternoon that said Constitutional Carry has passed.  Just needs to be signed by the Governor who has already said he will sign it. 

GREAT NEWS House Bill 1927 by Representative Matt Schaefer passed and is on it's way to the Governor's desk! Governor Abbott has already said he'd sign it! The effective date is September 1, 2021.

HUGE thank you's go to Representative Schaeffer for being the original sponsor, Chairman White who gave up his bill and worked hard to get this to the fill. Senator Schwertner was the Senate sponsor and also did a great job. Chairman Burrows worked with the whole team to get through the entire process. Lt. Governor Dan Patrick and Speaker Dade Phelan showed true leadership in shepherding this bill through multiple hurdles and I am thrilled to tell you they got it done!!!!

This is a huge win for Texans and I am extremely proud to have represented TSRA on this bill. Congratulations to all of you who emailed, wrote letters or made calls.

This couldn't have gotten done without all of you who helped!!

(Open the Champagne or Bourbon, now!) 😎

Thank you!!!!!!
--------------

Andi Turner
Legislative Director
TSRA

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2021, 08:08:59 PM »
I got an email this afternoon that said Constitutional Carry has passed.  Just needs to be signed by the Governor who has already said he will sign it. 

18 other states:  "What took you so long?"
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2021, 08:10:11 PM »
It also looks like HB 2622 passed that is the Texas Sanctuary State bill.  This quote is from another TSRA email.  I haven't heard from our GOA rep, but she has been pretty busy on all this as well.  There are likely a few more bills they are pushing to get done this week before the session ends.
Boiled down, it says that no state resources can be used to enforce federal firearms laws that are not also state laws. Further, it gives recourse if a state agency or political subdivision of this state ignores this law.

Please be aware however, if a federal agent finds you breaking federal law, you still have a serious problem. But this bill will make it more difficult for them to operate in Texas-without the cooperation of our Law Enforcement Officers or our resources, it becomes challenging.

https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/urgent-texas-action-alert-email-today-urge-senate-committee-vote-on-tx-knife-law-reform-do-it-today/
There is a bill to remove to remaining restrictions on knives that passed the House, but is apparently stuck in the Senate. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2021, 08:11:39 PM »
18 other states:  "What took you so long?"
Our legislature meets for 6 months every other year.  We like it that way even if reforms are sometimes slow. 

After the Santa Fe school shooting and the El Paso Walmart shooting in the last 5 years, that might have prevented them from passing something stupid in the immediate aftermath.  There was a lot of "talk" about red flag laws after the El Paso shooting that died down by the time the next session came around. 

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2021, 09:52:39 PM »
It also looks like HB 2622 passed that is the Texas Sanctuary State bill.  This quote is from another TSRA email.  I haven't heard from our GOA rep, but she has been pretty busy on all this as well.  There are likely a few more bills they are pushing to get done this week before the session ends.
https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/urgent-texas-action-alert-email-today-urge-senate-committee-vote-on-tx-knife-law-reform-do-it-today/
There is a bill to remove to remaining restrictions on knives that passed the House, but is apparently stuck in the Senate.

Well, the feds do have some history with "vigorous" enforcement of gun laws in Texas.  *cough*Waco*cough*
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2021, 11:34:51 PM »
Some folks here in STL City blame our constitutional carry system for what has happened here, but they get really irritated when you remind them about how THEY told the polices to bleep off...

But hey... We're #1... And the rest of the state, except for tweakers, is pretty mellow.
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2021, 11:36:12 PM »
Well, the feds do have some history with "vigorous" enforcement of gun laws in Texas.  *cough*Waco*cough*
And it doesn't stop the Feds, just affects state LEO's. 

I was reminded the Texas carry restrictions have been in place since around 1871 after Reconstruction ended.  I was always told the point was to make the law so local sheriffs and judges could enforce it on anyone they chose to.  I heard it referred to as Jim Crow laws but I don't know.  I am sure it was used that way in some cases.  Democrat control of the legislature and state govt for over 100 years and none of that really changed.  Growing up, it seems like a whole lot of adults I knew had a gun in the car anyway.

There were traveling allowances in the law that were supposed to let you carry when "traveling", but the case law was murky at best.  That was removed several years ago. 

Glad we are leaving that behind.  We will see how it works in practice and how much friction there is with some of the big city police departments. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2021, 05:52:16 PM »
Got this today from TSRA.  Sept 1st is the default day for new laws to go into effect after the session.

Shows what I know.  A couple of those about holster restrictions for Open Carry I didn't know about.
You already know that House Bill 1927 by Representative Matt Schaefer passed and is on it's way to the Governor's desk! Governor Abbott has already said he'd sign it! The effective date is September 1, 2021. (Permitless Carry)

Also, I have reported that House Bill 2622 by Representative Justin Holland (Sanctuary State) has been sent to the Governor.

House Bill 957 by Representative Tom Oliverson has been sent to the Governor for his signature. This is the "Suppressor Bill" many of you have asked about. A suppressor that is entirely manufactured in Texas with Texas materials would be considered legal by Texas as long as you don't cross state lines. It must also be stamped "Made in Texas" . There are requirements for manufacturers so if you are one and want to know more, email me, please.

Senate Bill 550 by Senator Drew Springer has been sent to the Governor. This bill changed the law to allow LTC holders to choose their holster, if they Open Carry.

House Bill 2112 by Representative Will Metcalf also passed and awaits a signature. This bill also eliminates the requirement for which holster LTC holders use for Open Carry.

House Bill 1500 by Representative Cole Hefner is also on it's way for the Governor's signature. This bill says that in a declared emergency or disaster, NO Governor can prohibit or restrict the sale, transportation, or use of firearms and/or ammunition. Remember this is NOT in reference to anything Governor Abbott has done but does protect us long into the future with any Governor.

Senate Bill 19 by Senator Brandon Creighton is on it's way to the Governor's desk. This is the bill that forbids state agencies from doing business with a company who has a practice or policy of discriminating against a firearm entity.

Senate Bill 20 by Senator Donna Campbell is also headed for signature by the Governor. This bill allows lawful possessors of firearms and/or ammunition to transport the same directly to their hotel room and directly to their vehicle. (The establishment may make a provision for "cased" or "concealed" firearms, so bring your long gun case if you are traveling.)

House Bill 2675 by Representative Ryan Guillen also passed and awaits the Governor's signature. This would allow for expedited LTC's for those under protective orders for the duration of that protective order.

House Bill 918 by Representative Ben Leman has been sent to the Governor for signature. This bill allows for those over the age of 18 AND in possession of a protective order, to be eligible for a temporary LTC for the duration of the order.

House Bill 1407 by Representative Matt Schaeffer is on the Governor's desk. This allows for LTC's to keep their gun in a holster, but no longer requires the owner to keep the gun out of sight while in their vehicle, as long as the firearm and the LTC holder are in the vehicle.

House Bill 1387 by Representative Cody Harris allows Foster parents to store their firearms and ammunition in the same locked safe and removes the trigger lock requirement.

Session doesn't officially end until Monday and I will check my tracker to see if there are additional bills of note to send to you but otherwise I think these are the biggest ones.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2021, 05:58:02 PM »
(a quick duckduckgo search) Texans can only carry in a belt or shoulder holster, unless concealed? Interesting.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2021, 06:51:48 PM »
Texas has a lot of damn rules for being pro-gun.

Why does one need/want a LTC if Texas has permitless carry?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2021, 07:26:23 PM »

Reciprocity with other states.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2021, 07:29:29 PM »

Over a hundred years of Democrats running the state leaves a mark.   =)  However, I freely admit that Texas has plenty of people (R's included) who like rules.  It is always a political struggle to keep those out of the law.  Texas is not as libertarian as I would like. 

IMO, most people won't really see the need to carry at all.  Constitutional carry may result in a reduction in the number of LTC permits.  We will see. 

Buy a gun without calling the FBI is the main reason I plan to keep my LTC.  Just renewed it this Spring.  I guess most people aren't buying many guns.  The fee is $40 for 5 years and the initial training class is not required for renewals.  So it isn't very expensive to maintain. There were initially a lot of rules/exceptions accepted to get the law passed back in the 90's.  Most have been removed over the last 25 years. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2021, 07:35:22 PM »
Reciprocity with other states.
Forgot about that one.  A couple of years ago it was nice to drive to the NRA Show in Indianapolis and carry the whole trip.  Just had to avoid Illinois. 

Closest contact with officials was when the SS was in the hotel due to Trump Jr. having some sort of event there. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2021, 08:08:04 PM »

The holster one really threw me for a loop. No offense to the Texans on the forum, but for all the MSM whiners always focusing on Texas as the opposite of "good" states, like CA and NY, really when they always compare TX and CA, in many ways, they are comparing one authoritarian state with another. It's just that Texas generally does the authoritarian thing (these days anyway) in a direction that is pretty good freedom-wise. Weird stuff like holster regulations not withstanding.

And yeah, LTC for reciprocity and also no background check when buying guns in states that do that. Idaho has a standard and enhanced. I still just have the standard because I didn't want to wait to take a class when I moved here and have my Utah permit for states that don't take the regular Idaho license. The Idaho enhanced is accepted in a half dozen or so more states than my regular one.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2021, 09:48:01 PM »
Ben, does the Enhanced come with the power to curve your shots, or do you have gun katas, or something?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2021, 09:59:46 PM »
Ben, does the Enhanced come with the power to curve your shots, or do you have gun katas, or something?

Enhanced levels you up to John Wick.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2021, 10:04:48 PM »
Super enhanced gives you John Wick/Neo powers.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2021, 02:00:17 AM »
Over a hundred years of Democrats running the state leaves a mark.   =)  However, I freely admit that Texas has plenty of people (R's included) who like rules.  It is always a political struggle to keep those out of the law.  Texas is not as libertarian as I would like.

There were initially a lot of rules/exceptions accepted to get the law passed back in the 90's.  Most have been removed over the last 25 years. 

Nice to see we're nibbling the other way at gun laws.  Though we should be chomping.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2021, 06:34:56 AM »
Louisiana has passed Constitutional Carry BUT the Gov has said he will Veto it. It remains to be seen if we can overturn a veto. My money says they can't overturn his veto. :mad: :'(
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!