Author Topic: Texas is Going for Permitless Carry  (Read 10122 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Texas is Going for Permitless Carry
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2021, 10:12:15 AM »
I cannot see Oregon or Washington going Constitutional carry in my lifetime, although you can open carry without a permit in Washington.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2021, 02:15:49 PM »
I cannot see Oregon or Washington going Constitutional carry in my lifetime, although you can open carry without a permit in Washington.

Be careful with that -- it's a trap. Pennsylvania has the same situation. According to www.handgunlaw.us:

Open Carry is legal but you must have a valid permit/license to carry a loaded handgun in any vehicle in Washington.This includes Cars, Buses and Trains. You can keep the firearm holstered with empty chamber on your hip in your vehicle (can’t be concealed) but the loaded mag must be removed.Places as listed in the “Places Off Limits” above apply to those who open carry. All School Property and Facilities used for school functions are off limits to those without a valid permit/license. See the “RV/Car Carry Without a Permit” section for more information on carrying in a vehicle.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 04:50:22 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2021, 08:56:36 PM »
I didn't know that Art Acevedo had jumped ship to move from Houston to Miami. He's im Miami now, but that doesn't stop him from opening his pie hole about the new law in Texas:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-gun-law-miami-police-chief-art-acevedo/?intcid=CNI-00-10aaa3b

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2021, 12:40:46 PM »
I didn't hear anyone sad to see him go. 

The almost amusing part is he was actually getting publicly upset with the leftist judges and prosecutors in Houston for letting felony suspects go on personal recognizance bonds (no money).  There were at least a couple incidents (maybe more) where they were committing more crimes the same day they got out.  I think one murdered an officer, but I don't remember for sure.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2021, 12:44:45 PM »
I didn't know that Art Acevedo had jumped ship to move from Houston to Miami. He's im Miami now, but that doesn't stop him from opening his pie hole about the new law in Texas:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-gun-law-miami-police-chief-art-acevedo/?intcid=CNI-00-10aaa3b

While the measure is backed by the National Rifle Association, law enforcement groups and police chiefs in the state oppose the measure, known as "constitutional carry."

I expect police chiefs to always side with the commies, but what police groups in Texas were against it? In most states with CC, the cop groups seem to be for it, or at least neutral.

I didn't know Acevedo was formerly from Houston. I saw his statements about the Miami shooting, where every other sentence was "guns and gun violence".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2021, 02:55:37 PM »
I expect police chiefs to always side with the commies, but what police groups in Texas were against it? In most states with CC, the cop groups seem to be for it, or at least neutral.

I didn't know Acevedo was formerly from Houston. I saw his statements about the Miami shooting, where every other sentence was "guns and gun violence".
Police groups are often against expanded gun rights of any kind until they actually see the results and see it doesn't mean "blood running in the streets". 

Acevedo spent time in Houston.  I think he was in San Antonio before that and some other city prior.  I think a lot of these big city police chiefs get recycled around.  I heard he took a pay cut to go to Miami.  With all the liberal judges releasing violent offenders in Houston, crime has been going up.  He was going to get blamed/fired before long.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2021, 06:01:53 PM »
Michigan has a good deal of Rs and Ds who are pushing for Constitutional carry at best, and at worst cutting down on all the red tape and fees to get a CPL.  Whitmer would veto any bill, though.  I'm unsure if there are enough Rs and Ds to override.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Pb

• friend
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2021, 09:58:06 AM »
The Sheriffs in my state keep torpedoing permitless carry... because they get to keep all the money for the permit fees in their department slush funds to spend at their discretion.   ;/

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2021, 11:23:41 AM »
The Sheriffs in my state keep torpedoing permitless carry... because they get to keep all the money for the permit fees in their department slush funds to spend at their discretion.   ;/

Most people who have permits will keep them anyway, in order to travel with interstate reciprocity.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2021, 07:00:01 PM »
That's what I plan to do.  The state's made renewing a lot easier, it's done online, and cheaper.

On the other hand, SWMBO had let her permission slip lapse, this'll let her carry without having to retake the class.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2021, 07:47:29 PM »
That's what I plan to do.  The state's made renewing a lot easier, it's done online, and cheaper.

Utah is excellent in that regard. I just renewed my non-resident and did it all on my phone, including my photos. They have a new app that practically does everything for you. You pay through the app and you're done. I had the new permit like 5 days later.

I haven't looked into what Idaho renewal is like. Hopefully they'll have something similar when I renew. Though by then I might just suck it up, take the damn class, and get the enhanced, then let Utah lapse next time around.

With an Idaho enhanced and my Oregon non-resident permit, I can carry pretty much anywhere I care to go. Except California. Not that I care to go there, but family issues and all.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2021, 12:54:28 AM »
On the other hand, SWMBO had let her permission slip lapse, this'll let her carry without having to retake the class.

I forgot to renew in February, and didn't notice until a few weeks ago. I was very happy to be living in a freedom carry state.  =)  Welcome to the party, Texans!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2021, 01:11:38 AM »
Michigan has a good deal of Rs and Ds who are pushing for Constitutional carry at best, and at worst cutting down on all the red tape and fees to get a CPL.  Whitmer would veto any bill, though.  I'm unsure if there are enough Rs and Ds to override.

Politics:

If I were an anti-2A Democrat, and I know the Governor will veto a pro-2A bill, I might throw my support into the bill just to curry favor with some righties. I might even vote for it just to boost my NRA "grade" by a + or even a whole letter.

:Politics

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2021, 08:54:37 PM »
I forgot to renew in February, and didn't notice until a few weeks ago. I was very happy to be living in a freedom carry state.  =)  Welcome to the party, Texans!

Better late than never!  =)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2021, 01:12:59 AM »
I got screwed up once on the mm-dd-yy /dd-mm-yy mixup and ran around town for a couple of months with an expired ticket.

Apparently, somehow mm-dd-yy is "standard" and the more logical dd-mm-yy is not.  I was OK on a standard renewal after all, though.

Of course, a changeover would be a logistical nightmare, with new tickets using dd-mm, and older ones remaining mm-dd for a couple of years.

No, I did not grouse about the whole "permit" infringement being 2A unconstitutional.  I wax stoopit sometimes, but not that time.

"The way to a long and happy life is to eat well, sleep well, marry well, and don't let your name get too well known to the authorities."  --Unknown

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 01:29:06 AM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2021, 01:28:51 AM »
Keep that commie dd-mm-yy stuff in Europe. THIS IS MERICA!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2021, 05:03:19 AM »
Yep.  Illogical 'Murica.  Maybe a compromise can be reached with the even more logical yy-mm-dd, like money, most significant bits to the left.

We don't write a million dollars as 00.000,000,1$ after all.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2021, 06:18:12 AM »

Apparently, somehow mm-dd-yy is "standard" and the more logical dd-mm-yy is not.

More logical in your mind, not mine.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2021, 09:27:15 AM »
The best way to write dates, for human readers, is something like "6 Jun 2021." It uses the month's name, which is easily and immediately understood. It's also balanced - numbers, letters, numbers. Also, it avoids slash marks. They're OK when typed, but hand-written slashes often look like 1s. If one insists on using only numbers for dates, dashes should be used ("6-6-2021").
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2021, 10:03:05 AM »
The best way to write dates, for human readers, is something like "6 Jun 2021."

Most of the parts of fed.gov I worked for and with used that format, or abbreviated, 06JUN21. It's also the kraut (and I think much of Europe) dating system, so I have always been accustomed to it. It does often throw people off when I sign some form that requires a date. When doing that kind of stuff, I try to remember to default to MDY, but often forget, and have had people question it on more than one occasion.

Time is similar. I still more often than not find myself saying "2100" instead of "9PM". This is also partially from 20 years of saying it at work and the kraut (euro) method of telling time. Krauts will say, "21 uhr", or directly translated, "21 o'clock". Though when talking to kraut relatives, if I say 2100 as "twenty one hundred", they laugh at me. As an American kraut, I don't see much difference between 2100 and 21 o'clock.

I'm just guessing, but I think part of the euro 24 vs 12 hour format is train related.

And I just realized... This is one of our bigger thread veers: Carry permits to time/date formats.  :laugh:

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2021, 10:10:39 AM »
Do you say Dec 7th 1941 or 7th of Dec 1941? The America way is more like the way we typically say dates
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2021, 11:03:12 AM »
"And I just realized... This is one of our bigger thread veers: Carry permits to time/date formats.  :laugh:"

Only because of the gap in my licensure due to it.

I don't see why it is not logical to Fly320s.  It's a question of ordering by magnitude, dd-mm-yy as opposed to mm-dd-yy.

Note that if the expiration had been 01-11-YY or 11-01-YY there could have been a significant problem.

I also note the fact that any "standardization" can be pre-chosen in many word processing schemes.  I agree  that the format 06 JUN 21 is the most preferable scheme and that's the usuall way I write dates.  If that had been used, I would not have had that period of running around armed and unpermitted.  The only way to discriminate between mm-dd and dd-mm is if one of those numbers is above 12.  As it happened, neither of those numbers was above 12 in my permit's expiration date.

And if this were a Constitutional Carry State, the problem would not have existed.

I think that's quite relevant to the thread topic.

Terry
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 11:31:47 AM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2021, 11:18:50 AM »
Do you say Dec 7th 1941 or 7th of Dec 1941? The America way is more like the way we typically say dates

I say "The day of infamy".

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2021, 11:43:24 AM »
Let's not confuse "what you're used to" with "what is logical," Captain.

Andi n speaking, as in President Roosevelt's request for a Declaration of War, there is no ambiguity when the month is actually spoken.

"Yesterday, 07-12-41, a date which will live in infamy*..." could have been July twelfth.  But so could have "12-07-41."

Terry

* December 8th in Japan because of the date line in the middle of the Pacific.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 11:58:02 AM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2021, 12:32:33 PM »

Andi n speaking, as in President Roosevelt's request for a Declaration of War, there is no ambiguity when the month is actually spoken.

"Yesterday, 07-12-41, a date which will live in infamy*..." could have been July twelfth.  But so could have "12-07-41."

Terry

* December 8th in Japan because of the date line in the middle of the Pacific.

The whole calendar system is illogical when you get down to it. Remember what happened when the French tried fixing that*?
And so is the Imperial measurement system or whatever it's called this week, time measurement, and compass/angle degree points.

*Including clocks
- Calvin and Hobbes